What's the difference?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
What's the difference between a llama and an alpaca? Just wondering. There where three of them, (whatever they were) at the sale barn today. Not one of them fetched more than 65.00. I guess the bottem fell out from under that latest get rich quick scheme? So glad we didn't remember our number. Otherwise, I'd probably own one of them.

What's the difference between alpacas and llamas?
A: Size and fiber quality. Llamas were primarily bred to be a beast
of burden, and alpacas were bred primarily as fiber producers. An
average alpaca standing 34"-36" at the withers, where llamas stand
42"-48" at the withers. An adult alpaca will generally produce 5-8#s
of high quality exotic uniformly crimped fiber in a single fiber
fleece, each year.

found this on a FAQ site hope it helps ;-) http://www.faqs.org/faqs/animals/llama-alpaca/

Thanks. I always thought I knew the difference until the alpaca craze around here. These must have been alpacas. They were relatively small. Like I said, I'm just glad we were late on the bidding or we might have one out in the pasture right now! My husband always threatens to buy one every time we run into them at sale.

No bottle calves, well, just one who was exactly like Deets. A solid black Holstein! I might have bought him, but I don't like to get singles, as cattle are herd animals and such. I like to get at least three at a shot. I wasn't seriously looking anyway. I want to bring my son back and let him do his own bidding.

Lammie,

I don't think I'm going back to the cleburne sale. The people working the cattle in the ring are using whips now, and with all the whip popping and gate slamming and clanging, the last time I went I came home with he headache from he11. What in the world made them decide to use whips? The gate slamming was bad enough...but put that whip cracking in there...jeez louise.

Alice

Don;t hear much about guanaco, and vicuña. I thought they were all pretty much the same as llamas and alpacas

dun

Alice":84sybvst said:
Lammie,

I don't think I'm going back to the cleburne sale. The people working the cattle in the ring are using whips now, and with all the whip popping and gate slamming and clanging, the last time I went I came home with he headache from he11. What in the world made them decide to use whips? The gate slamming was bad enough...but put that whip cracking in there...jeez louise.

Alice

Come to think of it, I hadn't noticed. I don't guess they were using whips when I started going there.

Jogeephus":1gyq62zq said:
Nothing much, they'll both spit in your face! :lol:

That is why I wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of having one!

Lammie":1sw11c0c said:
Alice":1sw11c0c said:
Lammie,

Alice

Come to think of it, I hadn't noticed. I don't guess they were using whips when I started going there.

They weren't...they were using sorting sticks. This whip thing is just w/in the last several months, I think.

Alice

Alice":1a0qhslq said:
Lammie,

Alice

How many head did they have there, cows/calves/bull ? I heard they were closed down, apparantly I heard wrong. Arent they owned by the same guy who owned the Mineral Wells stockyards? I know he (the Mineral Wells owner) was shut down for not paying his customers. I go to the Pilot Point sale sometimes on Saturday, but there is never more than 200 or so hd run through there, usually less. Really nice guy who runs it, and very clean and well taken care of, but for some reason it just hasnt caught on like the Decatur or the Gainesville salebarns.

eric":3mptkpf9 said:
Alice":3mptkpf9 said:
Lammie,

Alice

How many head did they have there, cows/calves/bull ? I heard they were closed down, apparantly I heard wrong. Arent they owned by the same guy who owned the Mineral Wells stockyards? I know he (the Mineral Wells owner) was shut down for not paying his customers. I go to the Pilot Point sale sometimes on Saturday, but there is never more than 200 or so hd run through there, usually less. Really nice guy who runs it, and very clean and well taken care of, but for some reason it just hasnt caught on like the Decatur or the Gainesville salebarns.

They haven't been shut down to my knowledge. Now, a couple of years ago, they did shut down for a while until someone else bought it. I don't know who owns it. They have been having sales there every Saturday since I started going last winter.

I would have to get on their web site to see how many head they ran through. There weren't too many trailers lined up, though. Seemed like a slow day. We didn't stay to watch. I didn't go up on the catwalks either. We just stopped by to see if they had any bottle calves, and they only had the one. Looked like it was born that morning. No kidding. He was l-i-t-t-l-e.

the Inca had a breed of alpaca that had wonderfuly soft fleese..as soft and fine as Musk ox wool..the Spanish,knowing EVERTHING,turned all the animals out together,ruining hundreds of years of selective breeding...Some reserchers,useing DNA are trying to get the high grade fleese back..

Latest posts