What's the best thickness for a steak?

Help Support CattleToday:

I cooked a T-bone tonight on the charcoal grill from a steer we harvested last August who was finished on pasture heavy with clover. This one was cut at 1.25" thick and was delicious. Tender and tasty with nothing done to it. Not marinated, no sauce, just took it out of the freezer, thawed it in the microwave, a no-no but this was a late change in menu.

It looked so good I took a picture of it (before adding potatoes and peas). I think this illustrates what you can do with good beef on grass. I do want to add a bit of corn finish through the grazing of standing corn - harvested in March.

The only problem is that this 1-1/4" thick cut is too much beef for even me most days. I was out using the chain saw cutting firewood much of the afternoon so it was just right for today. However I think I will have to go with 1" for my cutting sheet for folks and me when not playing Paul Bunyan.

Here's the picture:

IMG_2711_125inthickTbonefrom6608011.jpg

Almost no fat (I guess I could have trimmed the end a bit more) but still juicy and tasty. I used to be a well-done guy but this beef tastes very good about medium as I think it is in the picture. This steer grazed corn last winter but was harvested off of mostly clover last August. Very tender. Did not even need a steak knife to cut it.

This is not something most folks will eat very often. Mostly they like really good ground beef for meatloaf, burgers etc and rolled roasts but a few of these, or ribeyes, or porterhouses etc in each split half is a real treat.

By the way, I have been using a digital thermometer to measure meat temperature while cooking and am thinking of including one at no charge with each retail split half on each customers first order. It really takes the guess work out of cooking. This 1-1/4" T-Bone was done remarkably quickly. 1" would be even faster.

That t-bone looks mighty fine but the small piece cut off of the side would be enough for me, I am not a great lover of steak. I don't like chewing for to long, so I mainly eat roast beef very thinly sliced, or minced (ground)made into meatballs. My Husband and Son love a good ribeye and like it at least 1" thick.

hey thats not fair showing a slabb of pretty steak like that.its 830 in the morning.an now im hungry for steak.i used to love eating a slabb of steak like that.but now that i have false choppers i cant eat emm that thick.

Latest posts