What's the best thickness for a steak?

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
If you were going to process an 1100 lb steer for home use and had to choose one thickness for all steaks how thick would that be and why? Jim

1 inch works well for me. Grill for a minute and a have on one side and a minute on the other and lead it into the house to eat it.

I like 3/4".

But then again I like tall blondes, and I married a short brunette, or redhead at the moment. Go figure.

3/4 or 1" We usually go 1". Have had 1 1/2" before. Not a good eating experience. You couldn't cut the pieces small enough to actually eat them. :cowboy:

Seriously, as Dun said, the ideal thickness for a steak, when you're grilling, is one inch. This will allow the outside to get nice and seared while keeping the inside juicy and moist. The added thickness will also give you a bit of leeway when it comes to cooking. If you overcook it a little, no big deal. If you overcook a thinner steak, you're eating jerky.

I like an inch and a quarter or so if it is rib eye, T bone etc. It doesn't work out for me because the boss lady likes hers very well done. Sirloins can be a little thinner.

It seems to me that much depends on the way you like to eat it. It also depends on which cut you are referring to.

as said 3/4 to 1 inch for cooking an eating ease.anything bigger than that an youll be chewing for awhile.

I've tried 3/4" which cooks so fast its difficult to leave the middle pink and 1-1/4" which cooks nicely but, as Aaron points out, is just too much for one person to eat, especially from an animal with the larger ribeye area and cross section which I hope to breed for (like steer 6209 in my other post on the Beginners board).

Maybe 1" is where I should be. I'm looking for one thickness for my standard split half cut sheet that most folks can live with. Selling split halves where I pay USDA processing I want to have one standard cut sheet for the processor.

Thanks for the input so far.

Jim

the important prerequsite is how do you like your steaks cooked.

My wife and I like ours medium well.

i know that ain't cowboy atall but that is the way we like em.

so a 3/4 inch steak is the easiest for me to cook on the grill and that is the way we have ours processed.

If I liked rarer meet I would have them a bit thicker.

hillsdown":32v87int said:
farmwriter":32v87int said:
Good grief, HD, I couldn't eat a whole rib eye at 1 1/4".

Hubby gets most and I take a small piece off of it. I usually get them vacuum sealed one per package.

We often share our T-bones. That's amore! :lol2:

2" thick T-bone, m.rare. That has been a fav of mine fer years. Now I also like one of the cheepest cuts, the chuckeye. We have to take them however they are cut, a 1" to 1 1/4" is a good size for this cut. I like it for it's taste and it's tender.

jedstivers":1gxrhhtj said:
2" thick T-bone, m.rare. That has been a fav of mine fer years. Now I also like one of the cheepest cuts, the chuckeye. We have to take them however they are cut, a 1" to 1 1/4" is a good size for this cut. I like it for it's taste and it's tender.
Those chuckeye's are mighty fine. I love them just cooked on the stovetop griddle. The ones I find locally are always cut about an inch thick. Not near as cheap as they were a few years ago when they first started showing up in the local stores. People caught on to their goodness and now they're about as pricey as t-bones, ribeye's, and NY strips but you can buy them in smaller quantities, so they're still a good deal.

We cut our beef at 1"...found that it works for all our customers. Thinner then folks tend to over-cook...thicker then they charr bothe sides with blue in the middle.
We just let the customer know that this is the way we cut our beef and never had a complaint....or should I say only one in past memory...one elderly lady thought that our steake were just a bit to big, now we cut hers from the smaller carcasses.
Dave Mc

Latest posts