Whats hay worth in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
Hey everybody whats hay worth in your area. Its getting higher an higher every day around here.

here hay is from $50 to $100 a bale.seems like no matter the price.the hay is junk an not worth feeding.

I still have a fair supply of premium horse and dairy hay available. I've been sending medium-square 3x3x8's into north Texas for around $185/ton delivered. This price is based on a 23 ton semi-trailer load. These are about 850 lb bales so that puts them around $79/bale. Take your pick from mostly orchardgrass with around 20% alfalfa to mostly alfalfa with around 20% orchardgrass.

Check out my operation at http://www.marshallforage.com for more details and contact info.

Jason Marshall

In this area, some are letting go of their surplus alfalfa hay for $45.00 a round bale. I think these are 1000 lb bales.

If anyone is interested pm me and I can send you the phone numbers as its been listed in the local paper and in the midamerica farmer grower.

MoGal":3eihwu8c said:
In this area, some are letting go of their surplus alfalfa hay for $45.00 a round bale. I think these are 1000 lb bales.

If anyone is interested pm me and I can send you the phone numbers as its been listed in the local paper and in the midamerica farmer grower.
$90 a ton for alalfa is cheap.even when you figure in the hauling.

bigbull338":3vslirrt said:
MoGal":3vslirrt said:

$90 a ton for alalfa is cheap.even when you figure in the hauling.

It seems to be right in line with what the market says for her area.

Hay here aint "worth" 35.00 a bale.......cuz most of it is trash, but folks are askin anywhere from $80 to $120 a bale for it when it can be found. I WON"T be buyin any of it however.

Horse quality orchard grass here in northern California is going for $150 per ton. The people I am selling to are trucking the hay to feed stores in southern California. With the freight bill and feed store markup, the hay is going for close to $300 per ton. Someone loves there horses a hell of a lot more than I would.

5X5' are going in the area of 22-25.00 a roll. 5X6' are close to the same price. We sold over 5000 square bales this year @ 3-3.25 a bale picked up. 55-60# Average.

Running Arrow Bill":1r0uv27c said:
Jogeephus":1r0uv27c said:
35-45 per roll for bermuda grass. 20-25 for pnut hay

How much for a semi-load delivered? ;-) 8) :) :shock:

After reading about your drought, I considered trying to help if I could but a 1200 mile haul at 3 per mile put freight at 3600 on 38 rolls. Afraid, that wouldn't be much help to you so I dropped the idea.

Shame trains aren't more accessible.

I am paying $70/ton for round, wrapped, delivered bales of second crop. RFV around 110 based on what field it came out of.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but so many people quote hay prices "per bale". Hay has to be priced per ton the way I see it. Some hay I buy weighs 900 lbs. a bale and some weighs 1500 lbs. a bale. I'd be crazy to pay the same amount "per bale" for the light ones as for the heavy ones....right?

I think the way most folks figure it, is the bales are usually baled the same dimensions, and therefore, are all about the same weight (give or take a few pounds).

movin' on":7hpy532b said:
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but so many people quote hay prices "per bale". Hay has to be priced per ton the way I see it. Some hay I buy weighs 900 lbs. a bale and some weighs 1500 lbs. a bale. I'd be crazy to pay the same amount "per bale" for the light ones as for the heavy ones....right?

When I first started buying hay, this drove me nuts. I would find some hay for sale at $x per bale. I would call and ask how big each bale was and they would tell me the size. When asked how much they weighed, they would mostly guess.

The guy I buy from will deliver them in loads of 5 bales. He will run two loads over the scales, and we use that average as the weight for the bales. If there is a load that is noticely larger or smaller, we will spend about 30 seconds working out the weight of those bales. I buy enough from him that if our guess is off on a load, it will be made up on another down the road.

Here in Connecticut 4x4 round bales stored inside $25-$30
5 to 6 ft rounds $50 and up
small square bales first cut 50-60lbs $3.50-$4.50
second and third cut $5.00-$7.50
mulch hay $3.00 -$4.00

Latest posts