Whats a reasonable price for registered hereford heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

The AHA will nickel and dime you to death with membership fees and TPRor whatever they are calling it today.
The sorry basterds decided by the board overnight to take away your EPD's if you didn't participate in TPR.
Cattle that went back to the original herd book were denied there EPD's if you didn't participate in their pyramid scheme.

BK9954":irm30o18 said:
Purebred herf with a couple commercial brahman for some tigerstripe calves as well. Have a registered bull, why not use it to my advantage.
BK Herefords are probably so high because of the shortage of really high quality Herefords in the state. Most of what you see up this way have been bred down to nothing but junk. Only place I've ever seen that is suppose to have good cattle up this way is http://w4ranch.com/ . I don't know anything about them, don't know the owners and have never been on their place but they are suppose to have a good reputation for easy keeping hard working cattle.

TexasBred":306v0mge said:
BK9954":306v0mge said:
Purebred herf with a couple commercial brahman for some tigerstripe calves as well. Have a registered bull, why not use it to my advantage.
BK Herefords are probably so high because of the shortage of really high quality Herefords in the state. Most of what you see up this way have been bred down to nothing but junk. Only place I've ever seen that is suppose to have good cattle up this way is http://w4ranch.com/ . I don't know anything about them, don't know the owners and have never been on their place but they are suppose to have a good reputation for easy keeping hard working cattle.
Yes there is a LOT of junk out there. So many of them should be culled. Most are being bought from the auction and resold on craiglist and facebook. So I guess someone did cull those and they are being recycled.

That is why the list I sent you was so short. Same problem as most other breeds selling paper.
I can't for the life of me remember the breeder out of Canton that had really good stuff.
Edit
It's Double H Herefords finally came to me.

BK9954":3uswu1v4 said:
I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old.
Cant find anything except 4 skinny ones that are under $1800 in Texas, some up to $2200. Is this the industry average?
Are registered hereford heifers the gold of the industry?
Over a dozen replies and since I only see one (Aaron's) that actually addressed any of your questions. I'll add my :2cents:

What's a Reasonable price for (open) registered Hereford heifers?
2 feeder calves
current cash feeder price 1.48 x 550 lbs = 814 x 2 = $1628
Nov 2017 feeder futures 1.4550 = $1600
April 2018 feeder futures 1.3625 = $1,499

Is $1800 - $2200 ($2,000) the (current) industry average for registered Hereford heifers 12-15 months old?
I wouldn't think so as under current market conditions $2,000 hd seems way too high to be the average.
Perhaps AHA could give you reported sale averages... I can't.

Are registered Hereford Heifers the gold (standard) of the (cattle) industry?
Hill NO

Caustic Burno":2uy2j6nf said:
March sale open F-1 averaged 1850
Registered Brahman 3000.
So that gives you a reference
How does that help him?
Are you saying Yes Herefords are gold and = to price of Brahman?

Open registered Brahman heifers (12-15 months old) AVERAGED $3,000? :bs:
You Have Got To Be Blowing Smoke! or not telling the whole story

Son of Butch":g7hyjs9j said:
Caustic Burno":g7hyjs9j said:
Registered Brahman 3000.
How does that help him?

Yearly F-1 Golden Sale
March sale
The offering was elite and the bidding proved it at the 29th Annual American Brahman Breeders Association (ABBA) National F-1 & TBA Sponsored Brahman Female Sale at Caldwell, Texas on March 19th. Forty-two consignors from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arizona brought 718 head and bidders at the sale and online paid them top dollar.

"This year's sale offering was one of the best to date with the quality running deep and the breeders doing an outstanding job of preparing and presenting the cattle, " says ABBA Executive Vice President Chris Shivers. "By evidence of the standing-room only crowd and active bidding, it was obvious producers are looking for Brahman and F-1 cattle when restocking their pastures for the future."

Tipp Ranch of Sealy, Texas, was awarded the champion pen of Brahmans at the 29th Annual ABBA National F-1 & TBA Brahman Sale. This pen of six open Registered Brahman heifers brought an average of $4,150 per head.

John Malazzo Farms of Caldwell, Texas, exhibited the champion F-1 pairs. These five ABBA Certified F-1 Hereford x Brahman pairs with Angus sired calves brought $4,500 per pair.

Bonchasse Land & Cattle Co. of Grand Cane, Louisiana, was awarded the champion pen of bred F-1 females. These five Golden Certified Hereford x Brahman F-1 females bred to Angus bulls brought $3,500 per head.

John Malazzo Farms received the champion exposed pen of F-1's recognition. This pen of five ABBA Certified Hereford x Brahman F-1 Females exposed to Angus bulls brought $3,600 per head.

Bonchasse Land & Cattle Co also won champion pen of open F-1 heifers. Their pen of five ABBA Golden Certified Hereford x Brahman F-1 Females brought $2,850 per head.

Sale averages include:
– 54 Golden Certified/Certified F-1 pairs averaged $3,968.04
– 36 Bred Golden Certified/Certified F-1's averaged $3,076.33
– 222 Exposed Golden Certified/Certified F-1's averaged $2,655.59
– 96 Open Golden Certified/Certified F-1's averaged $1,850.84
– 16 Bred Registered Brahman females averaged $3,018
– 11 Exposed Registered Brahman females averaged $2,622
– 58 Open Registered Brahman females averaged $3,237

The sale was managed by Broken Triangle Cattle Marketing and Caldwell Livestock Commission, and was dedicated to Bill Crain of Pearsall, Texas, for his longtime belief, dedication and support to the ABBA F-1 Certification Program. Crain has been a lifelong cattleman and believer in the Brahman/Hereford F-1 cow.

Caustic Burno":1dcjpcdq said:
Son of Butch":1dcjpcdq said:
Caustic Burno":1dcjpcdq said:
Registered Brahman 3000.
How does that help him?

Yearly Golden March sale
The offering was elite ..... and bidders paid top dollar.
... the champion pen of six open Registered Brahman heifers brought an average of $4,150 per head.

Sale averages include:
– 16 Bred Registered Brahman females averaged $3,018
– 11 Exposed Registered Brahman females averaged $2,622
How does posting info from the Elite Brahman sale, (including the champion pen in the average), help answer the
original poster's question of What's a reasonable price for registered Hereford heifers?

Do you want to 'fess up to breed pimpin', cherry pickin' and blowin' smoke?
Or are you saying a reasonable registered Hereford should be worth at least what Elite registered Brahman bring?

He is wanting to make F-1's tigers if I read his original post correctly
Hereford will never be worth the price of Brahman heifers maybe 2/3.
Hard to breed pimp F-1's
There just better cows and the science is there to back it up.

BK9954":bxs2pfcy said:
I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.

Depends on quality and setting and rep and location and time of year...
I bought some private treaty in the fall for $1100.
I saw registered open heifers with some rep auctioning this spring for U$S 1300 to 1500. I don't know how you can make money on that kind unless you are a seed stock operation. Maybe calculations are different in Texas. I asked one buyer and he said the opens were a good deal because the bred heifers were more. :?

What do you plan to do with them?

Stocker Steve":oqmy4bnp said:
BK9954":oqmy4bnp said:
I have been shopping registered hereford heifers 12-15 months old. Seems a little high, even compared to registered charolais and angus/brangus. Is this the industry average? Thats almost double auction price.

Depends on quality and setting and rep and location and time of year...
I bought some private treaty in the fall for $1100.
I saw registered open heifers with some rep auctioning this spring for U$S 1300 to 1500. I don't know how you can make money on that kind unless you are a seed stock operation. Maybe calculations are different in Texas. I asked one buyer and he said the opens were a good deal because the bred heifers were more. :?

What do you plan to do with them?
The only point for me to go that route is to sell registered heifers and bulls. Gotta start somewhere. Figured I would add some while I had my bull on the brangus but $2000-$2500 for heifers are a lot of money. Just a big risk on each animal, dollar wise, and wondering if I would get my money back on the calves.

I'm a total noob to cattle. I have 0 experience however my wife was raised on a dairy farm. I am looking into getting a couple bulls for meat but I have no idea what I am looking at to pay for them. They are about 2 months old and from what I remember they have not been weened yet. They are Hereford angus mix. What should I pay? What are they called at that point? Calves? Feeders? I have no idea. Help

DavidMit":1lawpnta said:
I'm a total noob to cattle. I have 0 experience however my wife was raised on a dairy farm. I am looking into getting a couple bulls for meat but I have no idea what I am looking at to pay for them. They are about 2 months old and from what I remember they have not been weened yet. They are Hereford angus mix. What should I pay? What are they called at that point? Calves? Feeders? I have no idea. Help

Welcome to the site :welcome: Two months is pretty young to be weaning beef calves in my opinion, but it is done successfully all the time. I refer to the animals you described as feeder calves. They are probably no more or not much more than 300 lbs. I would diffidently not pay more than $500. They are probably worth between $300-$400 based on their exact weight. Another thing is if you are only going to use them for meat, you may want to consider purchasing a steer. I know that I charge more just because the animal still has its sack. I would consider purchasing a beef feeder steer. Good luck with it.

Latest posts