What Would You Do

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We've already made our decision, but have a go at it. Tell me what you would do in this case.

DSC06448.jpg

Coming 8 year old cow. Possibly the top cow in the herd as far as production goes, at the very least in the top 5 out of 150 head or so. Pretty much a given that she will raise a 650+ lb calf. This year her calf weighed 793 and we kept him for a 4H calf. She tends to have high BW, Avg on 6 calves is 111 lbs, but she does it by herself. She herself would weigh in around 1350-1400 lbs. Not a huge cow frame wise. She is quiet, easy to handle and low maintenance, up til now anyways. She has 1 daughter in the herd, which raised her 1st calf last year.

This fall, at weaning time (late Oct), we noticed her eye was running, not a lot, but looked like the discharge was bloody. We kinda had a look at it, and thought that maybe she had scratched it (eyelid or the skin around it) on something and it was just bleeding a bit. Turned her back out, and kept an eye on her. It never really quit running, not a lot, but bloody discharge. So, when we moved the cows to the next pasture, we cut her off at home and kept her there, this was end of Nov. Put her down the chute, so we could have a good look at it. Turned out to be cancer eye. So we hauled her to the vet. He looked at it, confirmed our thought. Biggest problem is that it was NOT on the 3rd eyelid, but on the interior of the eye socket in the corner. He said 25%-50% chance that he could get it all.

Now the real question, what would you have done;

1. have the cancer removed
2. have the eye removed
3. sell the cow, probably worth $900 at the time as a cull, and cancer wasn't bad enough to see a dock.
4. Other, and explain if you would have done something else.

Our decision was made a long time ago. I'll tell you about it later.

Given the cow's age and having, at best, a 50/50 chance of getting the cancer removed, I wouldn't go that route. If I could justify the cost of having the eye removed, with a good chance of full recovery, I might try that. If so, all future calves would go to slaughter. I'd also keep a close eye on the daughter and all of her future calves would go to slaughter.

Having said all that, I'd probably ship her immediately before it gets any more advanced. It's my understanding that cattle with advanced cases aren't allowed in the human food chain, so I'd get rid of her while I could still get something for her. I'd make sure she went to slaughter only. I don't subscribe to the "buyer beware" theory in cases like this.

Either way, it's a shame. I hope whatever you decided works out for the best.

I guess I would cull her. I am not sure that cancer eye is an inherited trait but the susceptability to it in the environment she was reared in may be, so I would watch her daughter and any sibling sisters in the herd. What ever your decision was there is no one on this board that can second guess you with any accuracy greater than your judgement. Good Luck JLP

Is she bred? What do you estimate the vets cost plus meds are going to be? 25%-50% chance of success is risky.....

The vet said "25 to 50%" Those odds are against you in my opinion.

Its probably a shame, given the track record and emotional investment you obviously have in this gal, but business is business and you have to be tough. Its not like you are ruthless and have not weighed your odds. The cow has a problem. Some have to be culled each year. She made the list.

I'd opt for #3 before it got bad enough for you to see a dock selling her as a cull. Or, depending on the freezer inventory at the time, have her put into burger, possibly donate her to a food bank - although I personally couldn't afford to do that.

fit2btied":uh296kog said:
I'd opt for #3 before it got bad enough for you to see a dock selling her as a cull...
After looking at this, a little clarification. It was meant to be interpreted as selling her as a cull, but before she gets too bad. Could be read as trying to pass her off as good. Not at all what I meant to say. My fingers and brain don't always consult before typing.

Ship for slaughter now, while she can still go. She will bring a decent price.
In our game, we never know how the cow will fair to weaning or if the market will still have a demand for cull cows. 6-8 months is a long time to wait

Either cull her now or try for one more calf. Your call as you can see how bad it is and if is feasable to try for the calf. If there was a doubt I would sell her now.

I would not pay vet bills trying to save the cow. You can't make money with the odds 25-50 % against you.

I have a cow with exactly the same problem.Vet gave me the same odd's.I almost did sell her,but i don't have enough daughters off of her yet.She will produce a easy high 700 lb calf every fall.So i spent the money on her,if i remember correctly it was around $230.They didn't have to remove the eye,it was on the inside of the eye socket also.They removed what they could,and the vet actually thought he had got it all,i was just to take her home and watch her.He figured if he didn't i would notice a difference in her body condition by january,well she is fat and due to calve in a couple of weeks.Hoping she has a heifer calf,because it looks like i will get another calf out of her,and hopefully a lot more.

A top producer like that, I would have took the chance with the vet. If she already gave you 7 of your top weaning calves, she should be well in the profit zone. Hopefully enough to pay for the surgery and still be in the black on her "lifetime ledger". If the procedure gives her a few more years and you get some good daughters you will get dividends down the road. I would watch her eye as close as possible, get at least get one more calf, definitely ship her if the cancer comes back. I admit, I don't know how heritable the susceptibility to cancer eye is, never gave it any study since it is not a problem with our breed. But since you are cross breeding, it seems like a low risk it would come back to haunt you in the daughters.

As mentioned above, I think we have agreed here that cancer eye is hereditary and had been somewhat bred out of Herefords. If this is correct I would cull her and not keep any heifers from her regardless of how good they are. If you don't cull them you run the risk of having cancer eye pop up generations down the road. Key is to check with the vet if it is in fact hereditary. jmho.

Jim

I would have probably culled while the cull prices were good. I have not had a cancer eye cow and have not dealt with selling one so I don't know what they take and don't take on those. I always want to follow the rules to avoid one coming back on me. I would hate to put a large vet bill in one that only has that kinda of chance and the results might make her cull value go down.

Latest posts