What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thought about not writing this - but it is a long one and "whatthehell" why not?

Some places an escape like Randi's will cost you a lawsuit. Canada does not have the fence and border and lawsuit mentality of a lot of the U.S. States. That is because we are less population that that of California. Only you know what would have happened if they were your cattle.

I could run the numbers on 100 head - but I chose 25 - it all balances out in the end.

Running the pencil on 25 head of grassers - just for fun and rough numbers - not knowing the prices in that area.

Buy 25 head at 450 pounds at 95 cents a pound = 10,687 and change

Trucking - somewhere in the 200 buck range - short haul = 200 bucks.

Vaccinations at 4 bucks a head = 100 bucks - can be more and can be less.

Mineral and salt and additional feed stuffs at 10 cents a day is 25 x .10 x 180 = 450 bucks

Fence repair and miscellaneous repair = 300 bucks (I wish mine were this cheap)

Travel for 6 months - 24 trips @ 200 mile = 4800 miles

So I will roughly say 20 cents a mile - this is low = 960 bucks

Meals on the road? I know you can pack a lunch - but most times folks do not do this - but I will not include this.

I will not include wear and tear and repair on vehicle.

I will not include additional trips for emergencies and "forgotten items".

One vet call at 125 bucks

Total cost = 12,822 bucks

Weight gain of 2 pounds per day x 180 days = 360 pound gain

Animal weighs in at 810 pounds.

One dead - so animals weigh total 24 x 810 = 19,440 pounds

20,250 x .89 = 17,301 and change less trucking 400 bucks =16,901 and less sale commissions @ 3% = 519

Heavier animal more trucking cost - may be high or may be low for your area.

Heavier animal does not always - but usually brings a bit less per pound.

Total cash back = 16,382

Total cost = 12,822

Profit for 6 months = 3,650 bucks

Time not factored in - but basically you work for a week for 500 bucks every month. Bet you make more than that at your real job. Most folks do.

Cattle prices themselves are not important, because they go up and down together and I simply picked a few numbers that would / could be realistic in some areas.

Looks reasonable and it is fun.

But you have a wreck - oh, oh.

No insurance costs, no neighbour issue costs - crop damages for escapees were factored in - I paid 2 grand or thereabouts a couple years ago to keep neighbourhood peace.

You have to be able to accept the risks associated with your long distance. You also have to be able to accept that a family member on the land may be happy to let you do this for free for a while - but then the time may come when they ask for land rent or land tax money. Or an animal on leiu of cash - reducing your profit even further.

Have one of those major escapes and you could be in big ttrouble. Good fences? Great! My annual costs for fence are seldom less than a thousand bucks - others may be more or less - and that is simply repairs. A good fencer bites the bullet and you have even more cost.

Trees and cars and trucks and weather and people and animals have a habit of making good fences lousy in literally seconds.

Locked gates tend to get opened and left that way at times.

The other real big issue is - what happens when you literally cannot get there due to some type of committment.

And you get a call your cattle are out on the highway / road and one has been hit by a truck? Got someone who will do this for free? More than once?

I am sure you have read stories on this board about how "the neighbours *^(% cattle ........" or "that &(^%*&$ neighbour and his cattle ....".

You be careful, or you could be that person.

Now I know I am sounding negative.

But I kept a herd of a couple hundred animals more than 2500 miles away on grass. And I will have a small group about 50 miles away this summer - as we do every year. So I know a bit about what I am chatting about.

Can it be done?

Answer - yes.

Can money be made - well, maybe.

This is a cattle board and folks here love to talk cows - but less than 10% (I bet) make their money on cattle. In fact the other 90% I would bet do not break even - yet they will talk all day about cows - as will I.

Lots of folks here will tell you they bought cheap and sold high - but they will not tell you what the actual costs were - and some folks just from reading - I KNOW they are high - sky high.

Essentially what I am saying is you better no schitzen have your ducks in a row if you are going to do this because there is a great amount of risk.

And trust me that risk and cost goes up if you go to bred animals - loose one or two and you are a long time on the red before even breaking even.

And even though cattle do well on their own they do need to be watched. There are not many who do not patrol every day and every evening when calving season comes. You going to give up vacation for this? Will mom and kids (if you are hitched?)

That is why I am not a proponent of folks on hard times or of folks who "commute" getting into cattle. Especially if you are going to do it in a small way.

It costs more than you will make more often than not. There is a big - no huge TIME committment that has not been factored in. There is an up front cost and a big one.

There is no cash flow - it is a one payday scenario.

There are other ways to do it and make money.

Now if you are doing this to grow one or two and have fun or even just eat your own - I say go for it. But even growing one or two for your own freezer on average I would bet costs a lot folks more than simply buying meat on sale day.

I just know that someone is going to take me to task and nit pick a number or two.

But in fact I am quite close on this considering I have spent a grand total of about 10 minutes formulating the plan for you. I assure you it took me far longer to type it - but it is reasonable. Not exact but pretty close.

You can take it for what it is worth and remember - Have your pencil completed first and have your schitzen together or you will lose your shirt.

Costs will continue to rise - as will your personal time committments - but cattle prices may not.

Best regards,

Bez>

randiliana":2j4uwnk2 said:
Bez>":2j4uwnk2 said:
Where is the disagreement?

Did I not say someone needed to be close to do the "look see" and fix a fence amd chase a cow if they get out?

If you have that terrific. If you do not then I stand by what I said.

I bet you run more animsla than this person will - can you make a profit on 25 head doing this - including feed?

Not likely.

If you want to be a hobbyist fine - but if you want to make money there are costs - and travel is a big one.

Bez>

Sorry, to clarify it is a partial disagreement. It does depend on how many animals he can carry there. 200, even 100 acres there may carry waaay more animals than twice that in our area. 25 head, definitely will not pencil out. 50 head may not either. There are a lot of variables, and without more info like carrying capacity, whether there is anyone nearby that would keep an eye on things as well as other things that could make or break the deal.

I can see that I should have put a LOT more thought into my original post :oops: ;-) . It has been a loooong last couple days. Started out Wed night, up til 1AM messing with various cows for various reasons. Then, Thursday worked at the stockyards. Nothing like sitting on a horse 14 hours penning 3500 yearlings! And finally the Sale today. Add on counting/sorting all morning, and the sale itself took 4 hours. I should go to bed now.......

So see my long response to the farm and you and I will likely sing a similar tune.

Bez>

I should add that my parents live in the middle of the place, and two of my brothers live within 5 minutes. So I would have friendly eyes about. I will continue to think about it, and certainly appreciate everyones input.

P.S. For any concerned you made your point on the 4-6 weeks, and although I have not researched it, I will take your word that the bottle feeding is a bad idea. After all, others opinions and experiences are what these boards are about, and definitely the reason I asked the questions.

Thanks in advance...

Now the reason why I want to do something with this place.

-The land is where I grew up and I have fond memories of the place. Over the past 15 years the farm has been leased to a cattleman that overgrazed, didnt care for the fences or fields. Never sprayed, rarely fertilized. All in all a pretty crappy leasee.

What used to be 30 acre pastures are now more like 20 with brush and cedar trees all over the place. What once were steel gates are now makeshift barbed wire gates.

Anyway.. I convinced my folks to get rid of the rentor and that I would take care of getting the place back to what it once was. Fences are good as he was forced to fix them 2.5 years ago. All I am trying to do is re-coup some of the costs it will take me to get the place back in shape.

I plan on spraying and fertilizing as well as cleaning up everytime I am down there. Believe it or not I actually enjoy the clean up part as it gets me back to were I grew up.

I run other cattle on a percentage basis with a gentleman about 12 miles north of this property, but he has enough land for about 200 head and right now we only have about 70 between us so I know he wouldnt be interested.

Haying is not really an option due to rocks/boulders everywhere. At best and with alot of work, I could get maybe 40 contiguous acres into hay ground. What approximately could that produce annually?

Bez>":3k9yiul9 said:
...Animal weighs in at 810 pounds.

20,250 x .89 = 17,301 and change less trucking 400 bucks =16,901 and less sale commissions @ 3% = 519

All that jibber-jabber about watching costs and you forget about the dead one! Your dollars are on the money but weight is for the 25! Hypocrite! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cfpinz

cfpinz":39pcx3z6 said:
Bez>":39pcx3z6 said:
...Animal weighs in at 810 pounds.

All that jibber-jabber about watching costs and you forget about the dead one! Your dollars are on the money but weight is for the 25! Hypocrite! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cfpinz

No matter how many bridges an engineer builds - all he has to do is XXXXXXX and he is known as that forever.

You know something I was sure I was right - but I will take your word for it - I am not even going to check it.

But wait .... did I not say "I just know that someone is going to take me to task and nit pick a number or two. " ???

You called me a name and proved me right!

Once again my honour is intact. 8)

Thank you. Ladies and gentlemen please be seated - Bez> has left the building.

Have a good one.

Bez>

Bez>":3edlwfyi said:
No matter how many bridges an engineer builds - all he has to do is XXXXXXX and he is known as that forever.

You know something I was sure I was right - but I will take your word for it - I am not even going to check it.

But wait .... did I not say "I just know that someone is going to take me to task and nit pick a number or two. " ???

Have a good one.

Bez>

No harm intended. Just not often I get a chance at you, figured I'd better take it. ;-)

Your posts are some of my favorites, thank you for taking the time to share.

cfpinz

cfpinz":6vdqi7nn said:
Bez>":6vdqi7nn said:

Have a good one.

Bez>

No harm intended. Just not often I get a chance at you, figured I'd better take it. ;-)

Your posts are some of my favorites, thank you for taking the time to share.

cfpinz

No offense taken I assure you - one more turn around the cattle pen and to bed.

Bez.

KANSAS":1tejuakl said:
Now the reason why I want to do something with this place.

-The land is where I grew up and I have fond memories of the place. Over the past 15 years the farm has been leased to a cattleman that overgrazed, didnt care for the fences or fields. Never sprayed, rarely fertilized. All in all a pretty crappy leasee.

What used to be 30 acre pastures are now more like 20 with brush and cedar trees all over the place. What once were steel gates are now makeshift barbed wire gates.

Anyway.. I convinced my folks to get rid of the rentor and that I would take care of getting the place back to what it once was. Fences are good as he was forced to fix them 2.5 years ago. All I am trying to do is re-coup some of the costs it will take me to get the place back in shape.

I plan on spraying and fertilizing as well as cleaning up everytime I am down there. Believe it or not I actually enjoy the clean up part as it gets me back to were I grew up.

I run other cattle on a percentage basis with a gentleman about 12 miles north of this property, but he has enough land for about 200 head and right now we only have about 70 between us so I know he wouldnt be interested.

Haying is not really an option due to rocks/boulders everywhere. At best and with alot of work, I could get maybe 40 contiguous acres into hay ground. What approximately could that produce annually?

Well there goes my suggestion of leasing it, seems you had a bad dealing with that already.

I am in Southeast KS and usually people always looking for some lease property around here.

Is the land anywhere close to me? Pittsburg, Ft Scott, Parsons, Baxter Springs area?

I live in Atchison... But the land in question is in Ft. Scott, and leasing it is not an option.

I would hate to see you buy bottle babbies and even 250-400 weights can be train wrecks waiting to happen!

Latest posts