What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
I have access to some family ground in Southeast Kansas. Approximately 200 acres of which maybe 65 is in timber. Being that it is about a 2 hour drive from my house any, low input, recommendations on what I could put out there for 6 or 8 months out of the year starting early spring and selling in the fall? I have thought about getting some steers, but didnt know if there were any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Kansas

Oh... Fences are fine.. there are on-site facilities.. Water is fine.. I only will have pasture upkeep annually. i.e. First year I need to spray about 60 acres for random brush and cedars. Other pastures are fine.

Other than Stockers, you could consider buying very heavy bred cows. My thought is that if they calve out quickly and wean their calves in 205 days this should fit into your 6 to 8 month window. During this time have the cows bred and sell them as such when you sell the calves. Just a thought. TRM

Thought about that as well. Also thought about buying as many bottle calves as possible... Feed em for 4-6 weeks and then set em free. Dont know if that would work though. Dont know if 4-6 weeks is enough time either.

Just looking for others thoughts.

Thought about that as well. Also thought about buying as many bottle calves as possible... Feed em for 4-6 weeks and then set em free. Dont know if that would work though. Dont know if 4-6 weeks is enough time either.

KANSAS":1c530i6x said:

Don't do that...please...

Alice

4 to 6 weeks is not old, mature, enough to be set on their own. I think if I had that opportunity I would go with stockers, green cattle weighing 5 to 7 hundred. And being two hrs away make
"be nice" certain facilities are in order.

Good Luck!

mnmtranching":uets5w0d said:
4 to 6 weeks is not old, mature, enough to be set on their own. I think if I had that opportunity I would go with stockers, green cattle weighing 5 to 7 hundred. And being two hrs away make
"be nice" certain facilities are in order.

Good Luck!

4 to 6 weeks is not old, mature, enough to be set on their own.

You are so right! That is asking for trouble...

Alice

KANSAS":37efl0gj said:
I have access to some family ground in Southeast Kansas. Approximately 200 acres of which maybe 65 is in timber. Being that it is about a 2 hour drive from my house any, low input, recommendations on what I could put out there for 6 or 8 months out of the year starting early spring and selling in the fall? I have thought about getting some steers, but didnt know if there were any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Kansas

Oh... Fences are fine.. there are on-site facilities.. Water is fine.. I only will have pasture upkeep annually. i.e. First year I need to spray about 60 acres for random brush and cedars. Other pastures are fine.

If no one lives there who is willing to take an active and responsible role in the care, keep and maintenance of farm and animals I would do nothing.

Too far, too much risk and to inconvenient.

Every round trip is about 200 miles. 40 cents a mile and you burn up 80 bucks plus on each trip.

Plus the times you have to show up at 0130 hours to solve "issues".

5 trips a month is 400 bucks.

6 months worth of trips is of course 2400 bucks.

Say I estimate high and it is only 1200 bucks - but you loose one or two - or you have health issues - or you have some escapes - then what?

Extra trips means extra cost.

Your profit is gone.

Break even game at best - likely a losers game. Too much distance and too little management ability.

Leave it lay until something better comes up.

Bez>

I think Bez> is right on the money.

Is hay expensive up there? If so, you might want to work out a deal with someone on cutting hay.

Well - great minds think alike.

But, everytime I say that I am reminded that fools seldom differ.

I know which one I like the most though.

8)

Bez>

Bez>":3j34o0a0 said:

8)

Bez>

Well, I have to disagree here. We run cattle on pasture that is about 1 1/2 hours from home. We go up once weekly to check on things, and we run cow/calf pairs and sometimes our yearling heifers there. We have neighbours that keep an eye out for us. It works well for us. The cows go up when the youngest calves are about 2 weeks old, and come back home in October.

randiliana":1hwqumcp said:
Bez>":1hwqumcp said:

8)

Bez>

Well, I have to disagree here. We run cattle on pasture that is about 1 1/2 hours from home. We go up once weekly to check on things, and we run cow/calf pairs and sometimes our yearling heifers there. We have neighbours that keep an eye out for us. It works well for us. The cows go up when the youngest calves are about 2 weeks old, and come back home in October.

Randi, the key difference between what you're posting and the original post is that you have people who look after your cattle between visits - he made no mention of that. I would never, ever kick a bunch out on pasture two hours away with no one to check on them/watch them for me - that is a wreck waiting to happen.

PS Now that I've called you 'Randi' twice, I guess I should ask if it's ok to address you by that. Sorry about that. :oops:

randiliana":1o8d77d2 said:
Bez>":1o8d77d2 said:

8)

Bez>

Where is the disagreement?

Did I not say someone needed to be close to do the "look see" and fix a fence amd chase a cow if they get out?

If you have that terrific. If you do not then I stand by what I said.

I bet you run more animsla than this person will - can you make a profit on 25 head doing this - including feed?

Not likely.

If you want to be a hobbyist fine - but if you want to make money there are costs - and travel is a big one.

Bez>

msscamp":nf9dqrjx said:
Randi, the key difference between what you're posting and the original post is that you have people who look after your cattle between visits - he made no mention of that. I would never, ever kick a bunch out on pasture two hours away with no one to check on them/watch them for me - that is a wreck waiting to happen.

PS Now that I've called you 'Randi' twice, I guess I should ask if it's ok to address you by that. Sorry about that. :oops:

Randi is fine. It is my name, so go right ahead :cboy: .

I should clarify the neighbours. They certainly aren't out checking on things every day. However, they do drive by the pasture(on their way to town), and would notice if we had cattle out. They would also let us know if we had something sick, depending where it was as the animals can get up to a mile away from the road. And in an emergency they would go check on them for us if asked. Now, that doesn't mean that they notice every little thing, about 2 years ago our bulls and the neighbours tore down some fence between them, and for at least a week, were intermingled. Now, THIS guy checks cows even less than us. He lives there, and never saw the problem.

So, what I have to say is if your EXTERIOR fences are in really good shape, and you KNOW the animals you are sending will not crawl them then go ahead. It would be a really good idea to meet some of the neighbours in the area, just to have someone that might keep an eye on things for you. And call you if they see a major problem. Even if you have to pay someone to check on them every so often.

As to the cost of going there and checking stuff out, it depends a lot on what you are paying for the use of the land on whether it is worth it or not. We own ours, and seeing as the land near us is unaffordable it makes the stuff further away worth it.

Bez>":23xnssua said:
msscamp - you beat me to the punch.

Not often a woman can out smart ole Bez>!!!!

Bez> 8)

:lol: :lol: What was it you said on a previous post - we both learned the Western way? ;-)

randiliana":2gdrwhur said:
msscamp":2gdrwhur said:

Randi is fine. It is my name, so go right ahead :cboy: .

Thank you. :)

Now, THIS guy checks cows even less than us. He lives there, and never saw the problem.

This is a mindset that I just don't understand.

Bez>":45td9nkt said:
Where is the disagreement?

Did I not say someone needed to be close to do the "look see" and fix a fence amd chase a cow if they get out?

If you have that terrific. If you do not then I stand by what I said.

I bet you run more animsla than this person will - can you make a profit on 25 head doing this - including feed?

Not likely.

If you want to be a hobbyist fine - but if you want to make money there are costs - and travel is a big one.

Bez>

Sorry, to clarify it is a partial disagreement. It does depend on how many animals he can carry there. 200, even 100 acres there may carry waaay more animals than twice that in our area. 25 head, definitely will not pencil out. 50 head may not either. There are a lot of variables, and without more info like carrying capacity, whether there is anyone nearby that would keep an eye on things as well as other things that could make or break the deal.

I can see that I should have put a LOT more thought into my original post :oops: ;-) . It has been a loooong last couple days. Started out Wed night, up til 1AM messing with various cows for various reasons. Then, Thursday worked at the stockyards. Nothing like sitting on a horse 14 hours penning 3500 yearlings! And finally the Sale today. Add on counting/sorting all morning, and the sale itself took 4 hours. I should go to bed now.......

That is a drive. Are you planning on moving there in the future? You could rent it out to a neighbor, you could stock it and have a good neighbor take care of the cattle for a cut. There are alot of possibilities.

Latest posts