What Would You do With This Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
She is on my Shiit list.
She blasted through a half closed gate while I worked at hauling pairs to pasture last May.
So shes still at the home pasture just rebred Charolais.
Sell her for kill or another chance. :mad:

P1010083.jpg
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
to you the gate was half-closed. to her, perhaps, half-open...
 

grubbie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
712
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
Normally I would say ship her. BUT....I had one go through a completely CLOSED gate at branding this year, a yearling heifer. Tore up a new gate. Like a dumb a$$ I kept her cause Im so desperate for replacements right now. She settled down,....guess we'll see what she does next time in the corral.
 

2/B or not 2/B

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
516
Reaction score
0
Location
California / Sierra Nevada Foothills
Beefy":2jmbhw4n said:
to you the gate was half-closed. to her, perhaps, half-open...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We've had cows go through closed fences.... They may get put on "the list" but sometimes it takes a while before they actually ship. I guess it depends whether you need/want her next calf. The calf she has now looks real nice.
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
if your that madd at her cut her head off.if not keep her an see if she acts dumb again.
 

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
mayeb she was thinkin youn were comin in for a kiss and decided that wasnt gonna git it fer her

ship her to me..ill make her happy. all i need is a white bucket and maybe a week
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,401
Reaction score
182
Location
Central Texas
mnmtranching":qfnnejaq said:
She is on my Shiit list.
She blasted through a half closed gate while I worked at hauling pairs to pasture last May.
So shes still at the home pasture just rebred Charolais.
Sell her for kill or another chance. :mad:
Apparently this isn't the first time she has done something the make you this happy. :p Look at her again, she's laughing at you. :lol: The ones I have like that get to stay if they raise a good calf, that is until I'm thoroughly PO'ed about something or a drought shows up.
 

SRBeef

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
2,931
Reaction score
1
Location
SW Wisconsin
Why did she head for the half-open gate? Did she have a reason (good grass in view beyond?) or just to be ornery/because it was an opening?

If she did it for the first reason maybe give her a chance to settle down. If she did it for the second reason, she will probably try to get out again or maybe has already, and will be tough to handle anytime you want her to do something. In the second case I would ship her. Life is too short to be constantly worried about what she is going to do.

Maybe sell her as a pair, looks pretty good. Will bring more money than as hamburger. jmho. Jim
 
OP
mnmtranching

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
Besides that :mad: she now always has that look on her face. :devil2: Like I WON! I can handle you. Well :oops: She did win that battle :roll: But, I WILL win the war :cowboy:
I don't know? for now she gets to hang around. Next time, I'm pizzed at her. She either goes in the stock trailer or she goes on the flatbed. Don't make much difference to me. But, she will go. :nod:
 
OP
mnmtranching

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
SRBeef":2y4vm2ck said:
Why did she head for the half-open gate? Did she have a reason (good grass in view beyond?) or just to be ornery/because it was an opening?

If she did it for the first reason maybe give her a chance to settle down. If she did it for the second reason, she will probably try to get out again or maybe has already, and will be tough to handle anytime you want her to do something. In the second case I would ship her. Life is too short to be constantly worried about what she is going to do.

Maybe sell her as a pair, looks pretty good. Will bring more money than as hamburger. jmho. Jim

Maybe confused about where her calf was. However all pairs are treated the same. :roll: everybody else loaded fine. Yeah, the way she acts, the next time I try to corral her she will break again. Then like I said up above "it's either the stock trailer or flatbed" I always have a market for burger. :welcome:
She is on her third calf, she has gone to pasture and home other years. This time? who knows what got into her.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
2
Location
MO Ozarks
mnmtranching":oeb5yklg said:
She is on her third calf, she has gone to pasture and home other years. This time? who knows what got into her.
She's a cow. She just did what comes naturally..........ACTED STUPID
 

Bandsaw

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
I gotta say, if I got rid of every one that acted stupid at one time or another, I'd be behind a desk pretty soon. ;-)
 

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Joined
Apr 19, 2007
Messages
9,536
Reaction score
1,014
Location
Gulf Coast of South Texas
You added to the problem by having a half closed gate, spoiled her. Do what ever you need to do to get that gate closed and secure. If she still breaks it down rope and sell or shoot.
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
mnmtranching":sv3jh4hc said:
Besides that :mad: she now always has that look on her face. :devil2: Like I WON! I can handle you. Well :oops: She did win that battle :roll: But, I WILL win the war :cowboy:
I don't know? for now she gets to hang around. Next time, I'm pizzed at her. She either goes in the stock trailer or she goes on the flatbed. Don't make much difference to me. But, she will go. :nod:

She did win, and you let her by not getting that gate closed. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: As far as what I would do with her - based on what you've posted - I would keep her. She simply took advantage of the opportunity presented.
 

novatech

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
4,830
Reaction score
1
Location
Brenham, Texas
mnmtranching":3lwr00j6 said:
She is on my Shiit list.
She blasted through a half closed gate while I worked at hauling pairs to pasture last May.
So shes still at the home pasture just rebred Charolais.
Sell her for kill or another chance. :mad:

P1010083.jpg
I have gone over this several times. I keep wondering why you would fault a cow for going through a gate that was left half open.
This kind of defeats the purpose of having a gate.
Sounds to me like you were behind the gate. Next time put yourself in the gap pulling the gate behind you. If you fear doing that then the cows are to wild/agressive for you to handle.
 
OP
mnmtranching

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
I treat all pairs the same, work the right cow with the right calf through the gate into the loading area. Then that pair goes into a still smaller holding pen. Then I get another pair, and another until I have a load and off they go. Sure I close gates, my system wouldn't work if I didn't. My cows are so docile I don't have to rush around, it goes so easy most wouldn't believe it. She rushed through as I was closing the gate.

It's not a big deal as far as pasturing. I keep about 20 pairs and a bull at the home pastures anyway. Just that I've been known to take a productive cow to town because she snorted at me. :cowboy:
 

Rustler9

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Middle Tennessee
Guess I don't understand why you are so mad at the cow, she's a cow, that's how they act sometimes, especially if a gate was half open. I guess I'd be mad at myself, not the cow. If I sold or killed all the cows that make me mad I wouldn't have but one or two left. She looks like a good cow raising a good calf. We handle all of ours the same way too but there's always one or two that like to make it interesting when it comes time to work em or move em.
 

Latest posts

Top