What Would You do With This Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
She is on my Shiit list.
She blasted through a half closed gate while I worked at hauling pairs to pasture last May.
So shes still at the home pasture just rebred Charolais.
Sell her for kill or another chance. :mad:

P1010083.jpg

to you the gate was half-closed. to her, perhaps, half-open...

Normally I would say ship her. BUT....I had one go through a completely CLOSED gate at branding this year, a yearling heifer. Tore up a new gate. Like a dumb a$$ I kept her cause Im so desperate for replacements right now. She settled down,....guess we'll see what she does next time in the corral.

Beefy":2jmbhw4n said:
to you the gate was half-closed. to her, perhaps, half-open...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We've had cows go through closed fences.... They may get put on "the list" but sometimes it takes a while before they actually ship. I guess it depends whether you need/want her next calf. The calf she has now looks real nice.

if your that madd at her cut her head off.if not keep her an see if she acts dumb again.

mayeb she was thinkin youn were comin in for a kiss and decided that wasnt gonna git it fer her

ship her to me..ill make her happy. all i need is a white bucket and maybe a week

mnmtranching":qfnnejaq said:
She is on my Shiit list.
She blasted through a half closed gate while I worked at hauling pairs to pasture last May.
Apparently this isn't the first time she has done something the make you this happy. :p Look at her again, she's laughing at you. :lol: The ones I have like that get to stay if they raise a good calf, that is until I'm thoroughly PO'ed about something or a drought shows up.

Why did she head for the half-open gate? Did she have a reason (good grass in view beyond?) or just to be ornery/because it was an opening?

If she did it for the first reason maybe give her a chance to settle down. If she did it for the second reason, she will probably try to get out again or maybe has already, and will be tough to handle anytime you want her to do something. In the second case I would ship her. Life is too short to be constantly worried about what she is going to do.

Maybe sell her as a pair, looks pretty good. Will bring more money than as hamburger. jmho. Jim

Besides that :mad: she now always has that look on her face. :devil2: Like I WON! I can handle you. Well :oops: She did win that battle :roll: But, I WILL win the war :cowboy:
I don't know? for now she gets to hang around. Next time, I'm pizzed at her. She either goes in the stock trailer or she goes on the flatbed. Don't make much difference to me. But, she will go. :nod:

SRBeef":2y4vm2ck said:
Why did she head for the half-open gate? Did she have a reason (good grass in view beyond?) or just to be ornery/because it was an opening?

If she did it for the first reason maybe give her a chance to settle down. If she did it for the second reason, she will probably try to get out again or maybe has already, and will be tough to handle anytime you want her to do something. In the second case I would ship her. Life is too short to be constantly worried about what she is going to do.

Maybe sell her as a pair, looks pretty good. Will bring more money than as hamburger. jmho. Jim

Maybe confused about where her calf was. However all pairs are treated the same. :roll: everybody else loaded fine. Yeah, the way she acts, the next time I try to corral her she will break again. Then like I said up above "it's either the stock trailer or flatbed" I always have a market for burger. :welcome:
She is on her third calf, she has gone to pasture and home other years. This time? who knows what got into her.

mnmtranching":oeb5yklg said:
She is on her third calf, she has gone to pasture and home other years. This time? who knows what got into her.
She's a cow. She just did what comes naturally..........ACTED STUPID

I gotta say, if I got rid of every one that acted stupid at one time or another, I'd be behind a desk pretty soon. ;-)

mnmtranching":sv3jh4hc said:
Besides that :mad: she now always has that look on her face. :devil2: Like I WON! I can handle you. Well :oops: She did win that battle :roll: But, I WILL win the war :cowboy:
I don't know? for now she gets to hang around. Next time, I'm pizzed at her. She either goes in the stock trailer or she goes on the flatbed. Don't make much difference to me. But, she will go. :nod:

She did win, and you let her by not getting that gate closed. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: As far as what I would do with her - based on what you've posted - I would keep her. She simply took advantage of the opportunity presented.

mnmtranching":3lwr00j6 said:
She is on my Shiit list.

P1010083.jpg
I have gone over this several times. I keep wondering why you would fault a cow for going through a gate that was left half open.
This kind of defeats the purpose of having a gate.
Sounds to me like you were behind the gate. Next time put yourself in the gap pulling the gate behind you. If you fear doing that then the cows are to wild/agressive for you to handle.

I treat all pairs the same, work the right cow with the right calf through the gate into the loading area. Then that pair goes into a still smaller holding pen. Then I get another pair, and another until I have a load and off they go. Sure I close gates, my system wouldn't work if I didn't. My cows are so docile I don't have to rush around, it goes so easy most wouldn't believe it. She rushed through as I was closing the gate.

It's not a big deal as far as pasturing. I keep about 20 pairs and a bull at the home pastures anyway. Just that I've been known to take a productive cow to town because she snorted at me. :cowboy:

Guess I don't understand why you are so mad at the cow, she's a cow, that's how they act sometimes, especially if a gate was half open. I guess I'd be mad at myself, not the cow. If I sold or killed all the cows that make me mad I wouldn't have but one or two left. She looks like a good cow raising a good calf. We handle all of ours the same way too but there's always one or two that like to make it interesting when it comes time to work em or move em.

Latest posts