what type of minerial program do you use

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
I provide wind and rain made by Purina free choice . I can't seem to get them filled up on it. I also have a white salt block for them as well . 13 head of cow and bull with 7 calves 100 lb. last maybe 2 weeks . I've been at this rate since mid summer 2013 . I Don't mind the feeding of mineral just need a cheaper source . Any help would be great !!

Wind & Rain. Added Hi-Mag recently and will put out with Fly and Anaplas in a month or so. Free Choice. Will pull Hi-Mag early to mid May. Pull Fly and Anaplas around November. No extra salt blocks.

Vigortone CTC. The only varuatuib us high mag in the spring and IGR in the summer/fall

Any suggestions on the feeder for free choice ? TSC and Southern States are convenient where I live or any homemade ideas appreciated

Young's Beef and Brood Cow, from the local co-op/Southern States, formulated for our area. I'll use the Hi-Mag, of the afrementioned mineral, at the appropriate times of year.

As for rate of consumption, there are weeks where they can't get enough and then there are weeks where they barely touch the stuff.

As for feeders, I use the hanging-cut-out-barrel method and occasionally a round rubber feed pan.

Katherine

rjbovine":4bfp5kzs said:
I provide wind and rain made by Purina free choice . I can't seem to get them filled up on it. I also have a white salt block for them as well . 13 head of cow and bull with 7 calves 100 lb. last maybe 2 weeks . I've been at this rate since mid summer 2013 . I Don't mind the feeding of mineral just need a cheaper source . Any help would be great !!
Not really over consuming that much. Figure 4 oz. per head per day. Calves will eat much less but may consume some. Might mix another 5 lbs. of salt per bad to regulate it a bit better.

Wind & Rain 7.5 complete. I've been real happy with the consumption. I used the 7.5 complete with Altosid for fly control last year and was satisfied.

Used MFA's Super 10 before and they used at a minimum double what the tag said.

I can't seem to get them filled up on it.

Meaning they eat more than you think they should be? Figuring even an average of 3oz per day X your 14 head of mature animals = 2.6lbs per day.
Ditch the salt block and use loose salt in a separate feeder. Blocks are usually pretty inefficient and they may be trying to get most of their salt out of the wind and rain.

I like the youngs Beef and Brood Cow as well....but the closest place to get it is 26 miles in the direction I seldom go in....I pass three other feed stores daily on my way to work.....broke down and bought some southern states 2 to 1 just a week or so ago....
the analysis is not too bad.....

Latest posts