What and why supplements do you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pineywoods230

Reaction score
There are literally thousands of supplements available in North America. Curious as what you offer to your beef cattle herds beyond grass/hay forage and why you choose to use said product.

Not clear on what your idea of supplements are, I give my cows free choice mineral and salt. As far as feed they get hay, however this winter they are getting some hay(15#), lots of straw(25#) & ddgs(3#). My cattle don't get any supplements over and above a balanced ration.

I was just browsing the feed store the other day and noticed how many options there are if you stop and look. Several different loose mineral combinations, 5-6 different mineral tubs, liquid feed, 2-3 kinds of cubes, salt blocks, mineral blocks ect. As everything you offer cuts into your bottom line I was just curious what everyone used vs what was just unnecessary

For me, it depends on age of animal. I use the KISS program.
Cows - hay & grass with top notch mineral program.
Pregnant replacement heifers - same as mature cows, but fed separate with pregnant 3 yr olds during winter so they don't have to fight for hay.
Weaned replacement heifers (Sept - April) hay, mineral and 5# whole shell corn/hd/day until bred and turned out with herd on grass. Also, some protein pellets with corn - more in beginning - less near end and up the corn to maybe 6#/hd/day prior to breeding end March.
Show string - well totally different ball game. They get WSC and whole oats and BioZyme Sure Champ and Purina PreCon/Depth Charge. More whole oats if they are getting fat - more corn if they need to get fatter. Never let them get FAT.
And they all get the best health program.

Pineywoods, the answer is it depends. I forage test my hay to know what the nutritional value is. This year I am having to supplement the hay because it will not meet the nutritional requirements of the cows (6.7 % CP, 48% TDN). I am using a 28% cube that has 8% fat (has ddg's in it) . I am also limit grazing some ryegrass 3 to 4 hours every other or every third day as a protein supplement (No cubes on the days they get ryegrass). I keep out a good loose mineral year round. You have to know what your forage is providing and go from there.

For me, it depends on age of animal. I use the KISS program.
Cows - hay & grass with top notch mineral program.
Pregnant replacement heifers - same as mature cows, but fed separate with pregnant 3 yr olds during winter so they don't have to fight for hay.
Weaned replacement heifers (Sept - April) hay, mineral and 5# whole shell corn/hd/day until bred and turned out with herd on grass. Also, some protein pellets with corn - more in beginning - less near end and up the corn to maybe 6#/hd/day prior to breeding end March.
Show string - well totally different ball game. They get WSC and whole oats and BioZyme Sure Champ and Purina PreCon/Depth Charge. More whole oats if they are getting fat - more corn if they need to get fatter. Never let them get FAT.
And they all get the best health program.
What do you consider a top notch mineral program?
Glad I only have one category to deal with, just momma cows and calves. Still buying replacements as I can

Pineywoods, the answer is it depends. I forage test my hay to know what the nutritional value is. This year I am having to supplement the hay because it will not meet the nutritional requirements of the cows (6.7 % CP, 48% TDN). I am using a 28% cube that has 8% fat (has ddg's in it) . I am also limit grazing some ryegrass 3 to 4 hours every other or every third day as a protein supplement (No cubes on the days they get ryegrass). I keep out a good loose mineral year round. You have to know what your forage is providing and go from there.
I did soil testing and found magnesium lacking so I put out a lick tub and salt blocks but that's as far as I've gone thus far. I'll have to dig a little deeper it seems, hadn't considered testing their hay, I just cube 1-2lbs a day in winter out of habit as I watched my grandfather do the same

I did soil testing and found magnesium lacking so I put out a lick tub and salt blocks but that's as far as I've gone thus far. I'll have to dig a little deeper it seems, hadn't considered testing their hay, I just cube 1-2lbs a day in winter out of habit as I watched my grandfather do the same
You can of course get hi-mag mineral depending on how lacking it is in that regard. I would recommend loose trace mineral, loose as opposed to blocks. Seems the cows grow tired of licking before getting enough. I definitely see a consumption increase with loose.
Cobalt, selenium, sulfur all just necessary if your forage is deficient in them in my opinion.

I feed loose mineral 24/7/12. I have switched to BioZyme Concept Aid mineral from Vigortone.
You will see "trace mineral blocks" at the stores like TSC. A cow could eat the whole block in 1 day and never get the minerals she needs. Yes, cows need salt, no doubt. But, most land does not provide the macro and micro minerals needed. Will your cows survive without a good mineral program - generally, yes. Will they perform as best as they could? probably not.
I expect my herd to breed in 60 days and raise me a big calf every year. People talk about shipping 400# steers. I shoot for 100#/month of age, so I would have to wean & ship at 4 months old to have dinky 400# calves.
That's bragging - nothing to do with what you're asking.
A good mineral program is just part of the equation for the best herd you can have - along with a great health program.

And my cows have done everything Jean said above but done it on the TM blocks.
So… as I've said on here many times; you don't really know what your cows need without testing. And lots of experience.

The cheapest thing you can do is test your hay. If you were buying protein supplements it could save you a LOT of money. In my opinion, retail feed stores have made a lot of money over-selling protein. Protein requirements are easily met. But if your hay is under 10% protein, you need to know that and adjust accordingly. TDN is important and so is ADF (digestibility).

The 6 most dangerous words in the English language: "we've always done it that way."
A good mineral program will pay for itself in many ways.

Silver brings up a point. Up in Canada I guess there are areas that the grass still has lots of nutrients that we are lacking down here.
Testing your food sources is the best/only way to tell what you need. But, "most" of the US is Selenium deficient to a point that it is unhealthy not to supplement it.

Cheap mineral and salt, 38% cubes in the winter up to 3lbs every other day as needed to balance the forage and hay. Anything that can't make it on that goes to town.

Depends on current situation. Usually a balanced ration including alfalfa in the winter months. Multimin90 , salt block.
If I have a lot of low nutrient standing forage . Then a tub with minerals and protein.
Many ,including those who bash mineral blocks, don't realize that almost all loose mineral mixes the majority of the minerals in them are not available for cattle to actually use. Most mineral in loose mixes the minerals are just wasted , because they are in a form that can't be used by cattle.

Homegrown hay and red salt blocks. Magnesium blocks when the new grass comes on.

I have grown some wheat that I baled after the heads filled out, for winter feed.

That's it. Weaning 600# calves at 7 months. Healthy cows in good flesh, not fat.

Supplements can only be counterproductive if you don't take them in the right amount. Before you start taking supplements, you should read the instructions. There will describe in detail when and in what amount you need to take supplements. Today supplements have become very popular.
It sounds like you are talking about supplements for humans?????

Ken

Supplements can only be counterproductive if you don't take them in the right amount. Before you start taking supplements, you should read the instructions. There will describe in detail when and in what amount you need to take supplements. Today supplements have become very popular.
We are not talking about OUR supplements. This is a CATTLE BOARD.

Besides the mineral blocks....bread, green beans, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, apples, lettuce, pineapples, oranges, pasta, cake, corn flakes, blueberries, strawberries, radishes, sweet potatoes, de-pitted peaches, de-pitted plums, cantaloupe, watermelon, whole corn, bananas, banana peels, orange peels, grapes, pears, cucumbers, oats, grits, asparagus, apple cider, apple juice.
The only food -supplement cows didn't like and would not eat it....WAS Drum-Roll.......White Hominy. Although it's a corn product...cows don't like it and won't eat it. Told my wife to never buy Hominy again...if cattle won't eat it...I shouldn't be eating it either.

Latest posts