What type of bird pets do you have?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
We have a pet magpie that thinks she's a dog. She plays with our Shih Tzus,torments them like mad. This is the third one we have had, they all have been the same in their behaviour.
My wife rears many orphaned or injured birds and takes in stray dogs. Our place is an animals heaven. I love caring for them too by the way.
Colin

We have a Turkey named Curley. He weighs 60 lbs.He likes to try and breed any kind of leather boots, that he can mount.Hit a Wild Turkey nest last year with a disk mower, hatched a few eggs, and kept one little guy. He's Elvis.He prefers to flog small children and Dogs. We have a Parakeet named Julio, he dances in his cage like a spanish person.I'm trying to get him an agent.

the Mrs. has a cockatiel that thinks the vaccuum is his girl frien and "wolf whistles" the whole time it's on and for about 10 minutes after that. He also ducks down in his cage so you can't see him, and does the telephone ringing. We now have 4 phones that we rotate, till he starts doing that ring again.

War paint gave me a cockatiel, we thought was a male, for my B-day over a year ago. His name is Honey, loves to whistle and screetch when he hears the school bus at the bottom of the hill about 100 yards away. War Paint thought Honey needed an extra friend since we were gone alot so he then bought me a parakete, Sam, we thought was a female. Well they were just the opposite. They were young when we got them so who new, not even pet store. Well that didn't work so they went into seperate cages and now Sam has a male friend named REBA, yes same mistake. Couldn't live without any of them. Looking for War Paint a Sun Conyer, bright orange if possible.

I am sure glad Bulls and cows have more defining parts to help with identification. :shock:

blue cochins,red cochins,red frizzles,red silkies,black silkies,buff orppingtons,black austrolorps,black tailed white japenese,americana,polish top hats,indigo blue peacocks,1 white peacock,1 tom turkey named tom and ruen ducks.thats it till end of march when my wife places her order for other breeds.its her hobby.along with rabbit breeding.

A couple dogs. But planning on getting one of those Pet Hogs as soon as I can get down to Texas to pick one up :)

Notice the cable? See I can learn something from this place :)

Tank.jpg

I'm sure Caustic can give you a few pointers about pet hogs.....lol j/k ya

I have a gendae conure (had for about 8 years now) named Peaches.... he/she, it can say quite a bit... barks like a dog as well.

The outside "birds" are buff orphingtons, black astrolorps, gold laced wyandotes and white laced wyandotes and a banty rooster. Gotta have those good ole brown country eggs to cook with!

Susie feeds the birds, hundreds of them, have feeders in most of the trees in the yard. We don't keep birds as pets but have three Great Horned owls that roost in the trees. We let about an acre that's heavily wooded go uncleared to give the guail and pheasants a place to nest. Nothing like opening the barn to spook a covey of quail that has been roosting on the rafters...Susie trampled me that morning, what I get for being a gentleman and opening the door for her. Have a den of coyotes up the canyon that I'll deal with this spring. Dogs keep them from getting to close.
DMc

!'male' cockatiel -laid six eggs to date and wolf whistles.
1 male? cockatiel that whistles non stop in every imaginable so long as it is high pitch, I think he is trying the cuckoo clock now. (It has been suggested the high pitch is revenge for my playing my bagpipes indoors)
Our son has a Budgie (parakeet) which has a tremendous personality. He had six Rhode Island Reds which we had to give away when we moved, but will probably get him some more.

Had a set of geese for about 5 years, until my daughter's boyfriend ran them over while they asleep in the drive. They would follow right behind me pulling flowers out of the ground that I just planted. I would try to take them to the pond in the pasture and they would beat me back to the house. They were funny. They also beat up a few dogs and unwanted visitors that happened to come through the gate. I called them the beastie boys. :D
I miss them..... :roll:

Aplusmnt, you can feed 2 heifers on the same money it takes to feed one St. Bernard! :p :lol: :lol:

msscamp":2ihfa3it said:
Aplusmnt, you can feed 2 heifers on the same money it takes to feed one St. Bernard! :p :lol: :lol:

Yea I know! That is what I get for getting a Frame Score 7 dog, just not much on the easy keeping side. In future I think I will go more moderate in my selection maybe a 3 or 4 size frame, just none of those size 1 chiwawas :)

msscamp":14buz09o said:

Yea I know! That is what I get for getting a Frame Score 7 dog, just not much on the easy keeping side. In future I think I will go more moderate in my selection maybe a 3 or 4 size frame, just none of those size 1 chiwawas :)

msscamp":o3kfk9ud said:
Sure cuts down on the "Weed and Feed" tho.

Buff Orps, Black astros, easter egg chickens, rhode Island red, speckled sussex, blue andalusian, blue cochin, and 6 guineas. Not to mention the red tailed hawk the guineas chase off the property every other day.

aplusmnt- I had several cables like that for my german shepherd, broke every single one of them. Even the one made for dogs 150# plus. He's about 115#. I have to get a real chain. I have to keep him tied when he is outside and we aren't around. He likes to eat the neighbors dogs.

We have chicken for dinner about once a month, does that count as a pet?

dun

dun":1pnax9j9 said:

dun

Surely that would count, since a bunch of us on here are eating our pet cows at dinner time :) Wonder if Caustic eats those pet Hogs?

aplusmnt":qck9rf0i said:
dun":qck9rf0i said:

dun

Surely that would count, since a bunch of us on here are eating our pet cows at dinner time :) Wonder if Caustic eats those pet Hogs?

There is 3 of them in the freezer right now, as soon as I catch that sow with 7or 8 pigs wow it will be good, skin the little devels split in half and to the bar-b-que pit we go.

Latest posts