what type of 4 wheeler to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a 4 wheeler for the farm -
would be used to check cows etc.

any suggestions????

thanks in advance

That's an easy one. Kawasaki Mule 4wd. You'll have it long enough that when you can;t swing your leg over the seat of a conventional one you can still slide in and out of the mule. Plus the hauling ability will make things a lot handier/easier

dun

I bought a 02 model Honda 450 foreman new, and now have so far have 3000mi. on it and have only replaced the rear tires.
So far i'm satisfied with it. I have used it for just about everything. On it everyday checking cattle. It's my lead cow. when those ol black baldies hear it they come running and will follow it anywhere. A great tool for working cattle, and with a winch on it can be used for several things.
Like hauling that big ol buck back to the truck.

But just my opinion. Just like buying a truck everybody has their own oponion.

Honda makes a bunch of industrial equip. and it seems to hold up pretty good. But on the other hand get hold of your wallet when you purchase a honda.

Cal

I agree with dun , Kawasaki Mule 4wd. I have a diesel, use farm fuel in it .

I have a Yamaha Kodiak, it's within a month or so of turning 10,000 miles, and yes, you read it right. No major issues, and its never been maintained properly. Pound for pound, its the toughest thing on the farm.

cfpinz

we've got 3 hondas- 2 foremans, 1 rancher-great machines

ive got a 2002 homda 500 rubicon 4x4 with the hondamatic transmission in it.and i havent had any problems with it.the mule would be great for when you can no longer get on a 4 wheeler.i ride side saddle alot b/c legg is getting bad to throw over.the mules can an will hang up in wooded areas.so think about how you will use them.according to what you want to buy.

Dad is a big John Deere man - so he is pretty insistent on it being green - does anyone have an opinion of the green version?

cfpinz":37t3o5e0 said:
I have a Yamaha Kodiak, it's within a month or so of turning 10,000 miles, and yes, you read it right. No major issues, and its never been maintained properly. Pound for pound, its the toughest thing on the farm.

cfpinz

YES! EXCELLENT MACHINE! Our Kodiak has a little over 11,000 miles and still going strong. Bought a 660 and not nearly as good a machine; has no oil cooler and has a lot of cooling problems. If I'd know my Kodiak was going to run this lond, would never have bought a new 4 wheeler!

Norris

We have 2 john deere Buck 500cc 4 wheelers and there great. lots and lots of power. easy to get on and off. High and Low. We Have had one about 1 year now and has over 1500 Miles on it. Use it for everthing Checking Cattle Hauling Bags of Feed. Put a little Sparyer on the back of it for Spot Sparying Bean feilds.

Id go with the Green Machine dont think you can go wrong with them. if your going for the Dump bed on the back go with the Mule Also run one of those Great Machine as well.

I've got an arctic cat 400 auto 2004, no problems seems like a good machine, bought it new, usually plenty of power but sometimes I wish I would have bought a 500

ive got a honda 300 fourtrax, got it in about 91. my biggest problem with it was the horses kept eating the seat cushion. also, the battery died one time and right now the starter is out so i have to kick start it. oh yeah and the baring went out on the front when dad ran over it with the tractor...

I've got a Polaris Xplorer 400 right now, and I don't much care for it. The front diff is an open diff with the Command 4x4, so you get into the rough stuff and only one wheel gets the power. For deeper mud and snow, its not much good.

So whatever you end up buying, make sure its got a locking front diff, or at least a diff that guarantees both wheels get some power. The next ATV to come around this place will be a Bombardier. Tough as nails, good 4x4, great fuel economy.

Rod

I got a 3 or 4 year old Arctic Cat 400 4x4 with an automatic transmition. Everyone around me had a Honda Rancher but they all had the older models that had been going for years and I could not find anyone with a new one to get advise from on how they were.

There used to be a place on the web called http://www.atvnation.com and they had comparisons of about any model you could want. Helped me out in my buying.

I was looking for good ground clearance, pulling power, and one that had options to carry what all I needed carried. The AC at the time had the best ground clearance, independent suspension making for a great ride, great towing capacity, plus I really liked their rack system. Got baskets and bucket holders on mine which makes it a great machine for work. Mine is just used for checking cattle and work, no play.

It's sure not a play rig. The engine really sounds like it's wrapping up when you go over 20 mph. and the fastest I've had mine is just 30 mph. (just never a reason to go any faster than that plus I'm a big chicken). So far no problems at all with mine except the battery was not a no maitenance kind and I discovered the dealer never added any distilled water to it. Sure started a lot easier once I added the water (lot's more cranking power). Have heard folks say the AC's need quite a few miles on them to really be "broke in" but mine had did fine.

J

If you're looking at the John Deere gators, don't get get one if you want to haul any kind of weight. We use em here in the desert for getting around. That's all they are good for. Good flat land. With just a little weight in the back, the front wheels won't make good contact and makes steering tough. We added some weight to the front but it didn't help. But, like I said if you
just want to get around then they are awesome. We do no maintenance on ours and the desert is a pretty harsh environment and they are all still going.

mdmdogs3":18u77bek said:
Dad is a big John Deere man - so he is pretty insistent on it being green - does anyone have an opinion of the green version?

We had a JD 6 wheeler. I'm nothing but a JD man but this was the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen. Great for the first 12 months then the spark plugs would foul out ever couple of weeks. JD dealer finally told me the Kawasaki engine was a lawn mower engine designed to be run wide opeb and was not suitable for slow, creeping speeds.

Norris

norriscathy":138te90y said:
mdmdogs3":138te90y said:

We had a JD 6 wheeler. I'm nothing but a JD man but this was the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen. Great for the first 12 months then the spark plugs would foul out ever couple of weeks. JD dealer finally told me the Kawasaki engine was a lawn mower engine designed to be run wide opeb and was not suitable for slow, creeping speeds.

Norris

I know the solution to the fouling plugs and it's simple. adjust the valves. After about 6 months we had one cylinder that fouled plugs awful, to the point that the engine wouldn;t start. Put in a new plug and it ran great. Pulled it down one day and adjusted the valves. That was 3 years ago and haven;t had a fouled plug since. Interestingthat the Kawasaki is a lawn mower engine since they don;t make lawnmowers.

dun

norriscathy":1kr672l4 said:
cfpinz":1kr672l4 said:

cfpinz

YES! EXCELLENT MACHINE! Our Kodiak has a little over 11,000 miles and still going strong. Bought a 660 and not nearly as good a machine; has no oil cooler and has a lot of cooling problems. If I'd know my Kodiak was going to run this lond, would never have bought a new 4 wheeler!

Norris

Norris - The first couple of years of the 660 were made with solid covers on the engine, below the fuel tank. This created an overheating problem. The later years have been using a louvered cover, lets engine breathe better. I don't know what year yours is, but if its the earlier model, it may be worthwhile to replace those solid covers with the louvered type. Otherwise, what do you think of the 660? I was thinking of replacing the kodiak with one when (if) it ever dies.

cfpinz

mdmdogs3":17ncnmap said:
I'm thinking about buying a 4 wheeler for the farm -
would be used to check cows etc.

any suggestions????

thanks in advance

I personally would go with an ATV type vehicle rather than a 4-wheeler. They are much more versatile and can do more things. We have a Kubota that we use for everything from hauling hay for the girls, irrigating, burning ditches, cleaning horse runs, spot spraying for weeds, laying or picking up irrigation pipe (it has the capability of towing a trailer), hauling calves, to picking up tree limbs. It is 4-wd and it handles very nicely, so it also comes in handy for chasing runaway calves back into their pens, and it's a lot of fun to go mudding with! :D

Latest posts