What to feed heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
I know the needs of a heifer in the last 6 weeks prior to birth need more then just a open heifer but I need help with the what right now she is on grassy alfalfa and salt blocks, and sweetlyx tub so what should I add to make these heifer develope the the best calf geneticly possible and create the milk for the first feeding

Water, a good mineral for your area and a good quality hay or pasture. She doesn;t need all the fancy supplements. Maybe after she calves and the calf starts puting a drain on her body reserves, but not now.

If possible, keep animals with different nutritional needs in separate areas. Put your heifers in the best pastures on the best forage. Give your heifers the best hay. Don't make them fight with the cows for bunk space.

dun":3oazv928 said:
Water, a good mineral for your area and a good quality hay or pasture. She doesn;t need all the fancy supplements. Maybe after she calves and the calf starts puting a drain on her body reserves, but not now.
What Dun said is what they need and that is all they need.

Eating FAT does not mean they will deposit fat. Fat deposit in the udder is due to overall increased body condition over maybe a 6.5 -7 BCS.
But, a pregnant yearling heifer should not need 15% protein. That sounds a bit high to me, more like 10-12%, which in most cases they get that in their grass based diet.
What you feed them depends on their overall body condition.
The biggest thing I see in what you reported that you are feeding, is the lack of minerals. A salt block (even a trace mineral salt block) does not provide anywhere near the minerals they need. You should be providing a loose granular mineral 24/7/365.
Why the sweetlyx tub? Is the "grassy alfalfa" played out?

Latest posts