What to expect if you have to shoot a bovine

Help Support CattleToday:

Jena

Reaction score
I haven't been here in ages, but I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I had a bull that got sick and went down. It quickly became apparent that he wasn't going to be getting up again, so I was going to shoot him, rather than let him suffer (he's outside in the snow, etc).

I didn't have a sentimental problem with it, as I truly believe it's the kindest thing to do, but I still couldn't do it. I stood there with the gun and kept wondering if "stuff" was going to splatter everywhere or what. I couldn't do it for this reason.

So what happens? Does a hole just appear in their head and they die? Is there a mess...on the shooter? What's the best firearm to use?

I got someone else to do it for me, but I was away when the deed was done. I'd like to be prepared so if I ever have this situation again, I know what to expect and can hopefully do what needs doing.

Thanks
Jena

Jena":ba3culj0 said:
I haven't been here in ages, but I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I had a bull that got sick and went down. It quickly became apparent that he wasn't going to be getting up again, so I was going to shoot him, rather than let him suffer (he's outside in the snow, etc).

I didn't have a sentimental problem with it, as I truly believe it's the kindest thing to do, but I still couldn't do it. I stood there with the gun and kept wondering if "stuff" was going to splatter everywhere or what. I couldn't do it for this reason.

So what happens? Does a hole just appear in their head and they die? Is there a mess...on the shooter? What's the best firearm to use?

I got someone else to do it for me, but I was away when the deed was done. I'd like to be prepared so if I ever have this situation again, I know what to expect and can hopefully do what needs doing.

Thanks
Jena

I like to use the big bore guns 44 or 45/70 don't need anything near that big. Draw an imaginary X from the right ear to the left eye and left ear to right eye. X marks the spot quick and painless. And heck yes they will have a hole in the head you just shot him.

When we butcher I shot them at about the same spot as campground said , I use a 22 but I've heard stories of tough old bulls that a 22 wouldn't put down , getting it at the right spot is the is the most important

Campground Cattle":2s7s9bps said:
I like to use the big bore guns 44 or 45/70 don't need anything near that big. Draw an imaginary X from the right ear to the left eye and left ear to right eye. X marks the spot quick and painless. And heck yes they will have a hole in the head you just shot him.

those big rounds will sure enough do the trick but as camp saysa .22 will to. thats what the slaughter houses use to use a lot. yes it will bleed and sometimes squirt out of the entry hole a little but not horrible. be prepared for the involuntary spasms that go along with death. main thing is pick your target like he said and get a good clean shot off. if in doubt put more lead in him. if you dont think he will make it your doin the right thing to not let him suffer.

Was part of our schooling actually to learn how to take different shots for different reason, Campground is right, look at the cows head as having 4 corners, ears, and eyes, put and x through the middle and pull the trigger.

Or, place the barrel in the ear and make sure it is aimed on a proper plane.....and there ya go.

Humane shooting is accepted as a humane form of euthanisia by the American Veterinary Society.

Alway use at least a medium bore gun for euthnasia vs, small bore for slaughter.

Handgun almost always just a single hole in, sometimes a large bore rifle can exit with some spectaculair results.

Fortunately I haven't had to put any large animal down. However, I would recommend a large enough calibre gun so that if you "miss" a crucial spot in the head, the larger calibre will still do it in one shot.

Unless you are a crack shot & know your anatomy well, I wouldn't recommend using a .22 or similar calibre--might miss a critical spot and/or not penetrate properly in a tough skulled animal. I would opt for a 9mm or .40 handgun or a medium sized rifle cartridge. Better and more humane to do a quick kill and not have to fire 2 or more shots.

On a sidebar...those individuals who pack a .22, .25, or .32 calibre handgun for self-protection may want to think twice...in such unlikely and unfortunate events, the objective is to stop the threat, not make the perpetrator madder and still come after you. Sometime to think about: Law enforcement personnel use 9mm, .40, and .45's in their semi-automatics....

The imaginary X works great, BUT, if the animal is down you can pass just below the brain unless you get down to their level. If they're standing it's not a problem. I've used .22 LR solids, hard cast keith style semi wadcutters in a 32 H&R magnum, .243 Win, .250 Savage and they've all done the job. Neigbor uses a .300 Win Mag and needs 3-4 shots. Never wacked a bull over a year old, cows into their teens are as old and tough as I've done.

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3hyq6tb5 said:
:lol: 3-4 shots with a 300 Mag ? Must have the worst aim in the County. A 300 Win. Mag will take down anything on the North American Continent !

That was sort of the point. If you can't hit the right spot anything short of a 16 inch shell from a battleship isn't going to work.

dun

My butcher uses a 9mm. He said that they eliminate most of the possibility of any kicking and thrashing around that way. The 9mm drops them without a fuss, and when they cut the head off, the bullet is usually at the base of the skull. The quicker and quieter a slaughter animal goes down, the better the meat. I was standing outside the door when they shot my last steer. I heard nothing but the shot and one thump which was him hitting the floor. Not one kick.

Hi Jena this is your neighbor to the west. Use your 12guage and a deer slug, I put abig heifer down and they don't even flinch if headshot. They will bleed out from the hole. The slug has enough mass to penatrate the thick head on a bull. Remember to dig the hole first.
Your friend
Mike

Running Arrow Bill":1w4s6i4w said:

On a sidebar...those individuals who pack a .22, .25, or .32 calibre handgun for self-protection may want to think twice...in such unlikely and unfortunate events, the objective is to stop the threat, not make the perpetrator madder and still come after you. Sometime to think about: Law enforcement personnel use 9mm, .40, and .45's in their semi-automatics....

IMO the best gun for self defense is the one you have that you can use. Bettter to make three good hits with a .22 than a miss with a .44 mag. Having said that, to choose a caliber for stopping power in a handgun, I would want the first number to be a 4. Calibers for police use are often dictated by dept. policy and not necessarily by what works best. The advantage, if there is one, of a 9mm is 'firepower', not 'stopping power'.

Shame on all of you.....you should never kill anything! If you have a sick animal you should take what ever measures you can no matter what the cost to bring them back to health! After all, farmers aren't supposed ot make money. right? That's why they make all these great expensive medications.

Please dont tell me that you eat these poor animals? Shame shame!

Isn't that why they grown soybeans and corn? For us humans to eat?

LOL :p

JK Before you take me serious.... please know that I am kidding, we grow corn and soy to feed our cattle, who then feed us...mummm nothin better then a nice tender medium rare, home grown steak!

I was just wondering how soon those "google bots" were gonna catch a hold of this thread!! Macon might have his hands full deleting animal rights crap.

this reminds me of a time when I was just a little kid and my Dad was putting down a cow (Holstien) I don't know what kind of gun he used but .... I was playing up by the house and the cow came thru the barnyard, thru the 4 board fence and dropped 10 feet from me with a hole between her eyes. She went about 150 yards! They were all standing by the barn with their mouths hanging open.

Ryder":17sg7h4e said:
Running Arrow Bill":17sg7h4e said:

IMO the best gun for self defense is the one you have that you can use. Bettter to make three good hits with a .22 than a miss with a .44 mag. Having said that, to choose a caliber for stopping power in a handgun, I would want the first number to be a 4. Calibers for police use are often dictated by dept. policy and not necessarily by what works best. The advantage, if there is one, of a 9mm is 'firepower', not 'stopping power'.

your both right. shot placement is everything and firepower is not much when it comes to the typical self defense shootout. ill take 7 rounds in a 45 before i take 17 in a 9. friends dont let friends carry 9s. if i cant get out of a jam with 7 rounds from a 45 its a bigger jam than 17 rounds of 9 can fix. think about which you would rather be shot with. but when it comes to putting a sick bull down either one will work because your putting it right where it counts at point blank.

We always use 22 hp. Do it different than most of you. I have better luuck in the middle of the head behind the poll. Vertical plane I guess you'd call it. Shoot down like you're aiming to split the nostrils. Cant miss taking out something vital...brain, stem, or spine. that way I dont have to gaze into there eyes...before I blow em away.LOL

About self defense....use what gives you comfort. Like brokemouth says a 45 is best. Just looking down the hole of a 45 will take out most punks from rapid bladder and intestine evacuuation. But if the ladies are more comfortble with something smaller and lighter use it.(no put down or offense intended to the ladies) I'd rather mine be able to carry something that she has grown comfortble from shooting a lot. A quick double tap of 22 hollow points in an a-holes throat because youve practiced with it a lot is better than being scared and jerky with the big bores and missing.

With old bulls you need some penetrating power-- I saw one old Charolais bull that the .357 magnum rounds between the eyes didn't even affect him- had to dig out a rifle-----Years ago when they still shot bulls at the local slaughter house they used a short barreled 30-30......

Years ago at the slaughter house, I saw them use a pneumatic gun. It had a little 1/2 diameter rod that shot out only about a 1/2 inch, if I remember right. The guy would put the gun up against the head and they would drop like a brick.

Rod

Old slaughter house near us growing up butchered a lot of buffalo. They used a 30.6 straight down on their head like tapeworm mentioned.

Latest posts