What to do

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I have been asked if I would be interested in haying 200 acres on 2 to 1 shares. It hasn't been grazed since last June. Its mainly a mix of native grasses (rye, clovers, vetch etc.). The rye is 3ft tall, heading and beginning to lay down. I'll estimate 15% weeds and increasing rapidly. Fields are dry enough today but the forecast is for thunderstorms starting Sunday and lasting off and on all week. My delima is whether to lay it down now and suffer the quality loss from it getting rained on; or, to wait at least another week (maybe 2 or more) and hope for a 5 to 8 day break in the weather. Of course if I wait the quality continues to decline and the weed content continue to increase. I would only be interested in haying the property to sell the hay. We've had good rains and most folks around here have already hayed good yields and quality so the hay market competition around here may be a bit stiff. Hence, I'm not sure I want to be in the position of trying to sell a few hundred rolls of low quality hay this year.

What are your opinions?

Contacted a custom baler in the area to cut, bale and buy the hay off of a similar described pasture (maybe a few less weeds). Baler will cut/bale for $18/roll and purchase for $2/roll. If that gives you some idea of the current market. But if the rains stop it will probably be worth more by the end of the summer.

you might lose some quality by wait'in another week but i would'nt lay it down knowing the forcast. heck you might have too rake it multiple time after its rained on. and leaf loss if hard rains dont beat them off first and mold. id rather have clean dry lower quality hay. trust me it'll make good roughage for someone in need this winter. and the price might be just right for em

Conagher":1xsrsn1s said:
Contacted a custom baler in the area to cut, bale and buy the hay off of a similar described pasture (maybe a few less weeds). Baler will cut/bale for $18/roll and purchase for $2/roll. If that gives you some idea of the current market. But if the rains stop it will probably be worth more by the end of the summer.
falls over laughing im sorry for laughing.but theres no way in heck you can buy standing hay for $2 a roll.try $6 a bale.then add it all togather $6 a bale $22 to bale it $8 to haul it your looking at $36 a bale for hay.now lets get to the 200ac in question.yes jump on that deal .you get 2 bales an they get 1.200 acs should make a min of 400 bales.that would give you 260 bales an them 140 bales.id jump on that in a heartbeat.who cares if the hay is a tad weedy.if you get to bale it the 2nd cutting itll be pure grass.