What to do from here?

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Hello all. Im posting this in to spots as I want as much advice and ideas as possible.
We are a commercial angus breeder with a couple of Registered black angus cows in production. In January I will be going to school for ET and purchased a really nice (in my opinion) heifer from California Angus days a few weeks ago.
"Gidget" 4 M MS Oaklie 906 (AMF-NHF)
Gidgetbody.jpg

100_0247.jpg

Gidgetface.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't great. I am still learning about grooming and standing a cow.
My problems are this. I can't figure out where to go from here. Not sure what the best goal is. Selling embryo's, selling calves to kids for 4h and ffa, selling bulls and replacement heifers.........?
I have this nice show heifer here which I intend to breed (AI) and have her first calf out of. I want to continue to show her in the mean time in order to get her out and make her worth (as well as offspring) more money. I am having a hard time finding out how to do this without being a youth. Also not wanting to sell her. Is there a way to show her and still be able to breed her but get her out there and show her myself as I don't have any youths to show her? Would it be better to have youth show her offspring at fairs which means a long weight for us and probably a drop in her genetic value as time goes by.
I am also debating as to what to do with the calf first. If a nice heifer I can sell her at California Angus days in December of 2010. If a bull, and a nice one I can sell at World of bulls sale in November 2010. Or I can keep the heifer calf and add her to the herd. Generally we castrate everything male that drops here. We aren't really in the market or have the top genetics to sell bulls. Now we technically due I beleve.
After the first calf is here I intend on using this cow as a flush cow as her genetics seem to be really good. I am still learning the registered angus genetics so bear with me on all this. The intention is to take our heavily culled commercial angus and put embryo's in them to have a crop of registered angus. Then work from there.
Any suggestions on what to do? Where to go from here? Anything?
Thanks again. Hope I didn't confuse youall to much.
Double R

In my opinion these are things you should have thought out before you bought this heifer.

Nice heifer, really.
I like her top line, muscle and a really nice head on her.

So many options to choose from. Well a couple of things I would seriously consider is embroy transfer with another cow.then breed her again and let her raise a calf.
You can offer her offspring for sale to 4-H kids.

Hope Doc chimes in here, he's got a lot of knowledge along with quite a few more members. They will be more able to get you going in the right direction.

Good luck with her.

LimiMan":e8ur7npd said:
In my opinion these are things you should have thought out before you bought this heifer.

I may be going on the defensive her but why would you say that. I can still AI her and have her ofspring to sell. The point of this post is what do the knowledgable people here think is the best and most profitable way to go. There are so many options.
So I did think of all this before I purchased her. I plan on AI ing her for her first calf in February and selling that calf at whatever I decide makes the best sence.
Thanks for your response.
Double R

I luv herfrds":2ks50e3f said:
Nice heifer, really.
I like her top line, muscle and a really nice head on her.

So many options to choose from. Well a couple of things I would seriously consider is embroy transfer with another cow.then breed her again and let her raise a calf.
You can offer her offspring for sale to 4-H kids.

Hope Doc chimes in here, he's got a lot of knowledge along with quite a few more members. They will be more able to get you going in the right direction.

Good luck with her.

Thanks I luv Herfrds.
I like her to. It was a very dificult decision thats for sure then also being in my price range. The pictures I took I don't feel show her as well as they could. I was working alone and am not that experianced (pretty much not at all ;-) ) at the standing, grooming etc.
The plan sortof is to breed her for her first calf, let her raise it, but I see pairs being shown and was hoping to be able to show her even with calf at side. All the shows ive seen so far are for youth.
Then for her second breeding I want to flush her first, then let her get bred (or place an embryo back in her) back and raise another calf. I would like to work on getting our name out there and show what we are trying to do. Maybe the 4h and ffa kids is the way to go.
Does anyone know what the youth are looking for in a show steer? Can they show heifers? If so do they have to sell them like steers?
Thanks for the help! I look forward to getting all your opinions. Give me more to think about on the long flights to school and back.
Double R

You can take her to the shows and see how she does, but she still has to raise a calf worth a flip before you get it sold. Before i would flush any cow she would have to prove herself pretty good.

I've seen the shows where they show the pairs together.
Yes our 4-H kids sell both steers and heifers. They sell the heifers bred.
Now listening to our vets daughter, a 4-H member who buys from us, she tells me what she looks for.
Muscle, growth, hair, conformation, temperment, there are several other things and each member might have a different view on each animal.

Latest posts