What to cross with a Beedmaster for Terminal Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

AllisHunter

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and excited to be here! We raise registered Beedmaster cattle in west central Missouri, but we are looking to diversify.
In our area black cattle are king as far as the market is concerned, so I'd like to explore some options of using either Angus or Black Simmental to cross with our Beefmasters. I am looking for a terminal cross primarily, however I wouldn't mind selling some replacement heifers in our area as well. Has anyone done a cross similar to this, and how did it work out? In our area people do not like eared cattle as well, and we are looking to hide some of the ear without giving up all the benefits of the Brahma influence.
Thanks!
Hunter

For a terminal cross you could use a Charolais or a ************* bull. ;-) The bigger the better. Keep the birth weights up for maximum growth.

Heifers from planned terminal crosses should be fed out and processed. They are as terminal as the steer mates.

Personally I would look for a good Angus bull to tighten the leather and trim ears. Several pluses black calves and you don't have to deal with a Char bull. I would rather have a dose of :clap: versus a Char bull.

I have an angus over my herd which has about 15 beefmaters. The calves come out about 1/8 ear, mostly black but some red to brownish. About 1 out of 8 will show more ear than that. They sell well around here and in OKC where the better ones go. Mine are not terminal and I retain some heifers.

My herd is mixed and the angus bull doesn't put a very big butt on some of my angus cross calves so I bought a black Limousin to try and improve this. We will see how he works on some of the beefmamasters but I think it will be good.

I like Charolais but with beef master cows I would think you will get some odd colored calves. Never done it so I don't know. For black calves, There are plenty of terminal angus out there and they are usually cheap. Most people won't buy an angus bull with 4 or more birthweight.

Thanks for all the replys so far. Its sounds like Angus and Char are the ways to go depending on what you are after. Has anyone had any experience with a simmental cross?

AllisHunter said:
Thanks for all the replys so far. Its sounds like Angus and Char are the ways to go depending on what you are after. Has anyone had any experience with a simmental cross?

EPD's have come a long way between breeds.
My experience with Simmental and Brahman crosses and composites wasn't good. This was back when Simms were red and white. I had more than my share of behemoth calves. Have to remember hybrid vigor starts at conception. Not all breeds compliment each other as well.The only bull I ever pulled more calves from was a Char. I have been virtually trouble free when using English bulls over Brahman influence cattle. There is actually some science behind English bulls suppressing BW without the hybrid growth.

"From Dr. David Greg Riley TAMU.
Brahman Hybrid Vigor
F1 Brahman
Weaning rate increase with
Hereford 20%
Shorthorn 13%
Angus 12.2%
Charolais 7% "

Char-Sim bull on Beefmaster cows...from a year or several back

This one drowned in the Hurricane Harvey flood, a week after I took this picture:

A heifer I donated to be raised by a 4H kid. He did a good job.

I just mess with cows because I want them around. Not a big herd at all. 26 cows right now,4 calves, one bull.
Most of my cows are Chars, just a handful of Beefmasters now. Out of the 17 calves I got from the BM cows and heifers, I only lost one at calving.
No longer have that char/sim bull....died in Feb 2018 but he was pretty old anyway. Looking for another one like him. Dog gentle and covered everything.

Latest posts