What to A-I to (herfs) (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Thought I might take some of that free advice and post a couple of pics and let you guys suggest what to A-I to.
Please only horned hereford bulls. :)

Pic078.jpg

14 month old heifer
BW 5.1
WW 42
YW 75
MM 16
MG 37

Pic083.jpg

She will be three in august has bull calf now.
BW 3.1
WW 40
YW 62
MM 13
MG 33

Her calf now
Pic080.jpg

This is a heifer that will be three in september that got hurt and I should have shipped her but I have decided to give her a chance since I like the way she is put together. Dont know if I made the right choice but time will tell.

Pic084.jpg

BW 4.7
WW 36
YW 63
M 12
MG 29

OK, I'll toss in my 2 cents here.

I like these bulls here.
Robin Hood
http://bullbarn.com/herfepd.asp?ID=84

335F
http://bullbarn.com/herfepd.asp?ID=81

767G
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/herefo ... o=29HH0834

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with any of these bulls. Affordable semen and certs. I have and will again use any on heifers. Had no problems. These bulls throw sound, functional calves. The heifers turn into great dams with an abundance of milk. Espically the 767G daughters. I'm very peased with them.

If you want show cattle...that is a different discussion.

Thanks cert.

I have 767g available to me so I might try him.

Have you used the OXH MARK DOMINO 0125 bull? Going to try him for sure but dont know if would be ok on heifers.

IF I were to breed the two heifers for show calves what do you suggest? I realize that it probably wont be horned.

What do you think of the girls? Right now they are in a dry lot but are fat and ready for green grass.

I have been busy with NEW JOB and havent had a lot of time to play on the Forum.

Still need to get the pics of my horned cow that I put weights on to BEZ and SF but cant seem to find them in the computer?

Guess I will take new ones and send.

How have the pure golds done for you this year?

Thanks cert JHH

The two sights for the ROBIN HOOD bull list different birth weights ( old stats on bull barn?)

1.6 compared to 3.5 BW ?

JHH

I have never used a horned Hereford bull (though have bought reg. Horned Hereford cows before) so dare not give you a recommendation. You did say that 767G was available to you. I was just pointing out that ABS (which is usually available to everybody) was carrying the "Robin Hood" bull which was also recommended by Cert.

Brandonm2":137fug93 said:
I have never used a horned Hereford bull (though have bought reg. Horned Hereford cows before) so dare not give you a recommendation. You did say that 767G was available to you. I was just pointing out that ABS (which is usually available to everybody) was carrying the "Robin Hood" bull which was also recommended by Cert.

Thanks, What do you think of the girls?

JHH,

To be quite honest, any of the 3 bulls I mentioned has the potiental to throw you a show calf. Here is another bull to look at http://mrnakherefords.com/mh_dakota_0230.htm

He is the sire of my favorite cow in my herd and also my herd bull.
I'll pm you with pictures of a couple calves out of my horned bull. From what I've heard from ND and my experience with my bull, there has yet to be an assisted calf and none over 80 lbs. He is not proven but last year had 40 some calves on the ground and all out of 1st calf heifers. I'm boarderline advertising now, so the rest of this part of the conversation I'll pick up in a pm.

Robin Hood s listed with a 3.5 BW on the AHA website. So I would assume that ABS' numbers are correct. I have used him on heifers with no problems. I did not study the EDP's you posted but no matter what they are, it would not sway my choices of bulls.
I also believe that 335F can be ordered thru ABS as well. All 3 bulls at your fingertips!

Your pics are a little hard to tell much about the cattle. They look to be sound with no obvious flaws. The top one may be lacking some lower quarter though.

As for my Pure Gold's, none on the ground yet. They are due anytime. I think the cows just like to see me at 2AM.

Take Care and I'll send you a pm shortly.

I like the first heifer. She looks like a good easy keeping worry free kind of mama cow that if she has the first calf ok will be on your place 10 years from now. I would like to see more thickness and a little more leg under her. The bottom heifer is thicker and deeper in the girth and is a more stylish heifer; but I would need to watch her move. Her front wheels look like they are trying to grow out like a pair of shoes and her rear wheels don't look much better. Have these cows been kept on concrete this winter???? I need a better pic to definitively comment on the hooves. I could be seeing something that is not so bad in the real world; but you MIGHT need to get somebody smarter than me to come to your place and POSSIBLY trim some hooves.

Brandonm2":k1yl1zhm said:
I like the first heifer. She looks like a good easy keeping worry free kind of mama cow that if she has the first calf ok will be on your place 10 years from now. I would like to see more thickness and a little more leg under her. The bottom heifer is thicker and deeper in the girth and is a more stylish heifer; but I would need to watch her move. Her front wheels look like they are trying to grow out like a pair of shoes and her rear wheels don't look much better. Have these cows been kept on concrete this winter???? I need a better pic to definitively comment on the hooves. I could be seeing something that is not so bad in the real world; but you MIGHT need to get somebody smarter than me to come to your place and POSSIBLY trim some hooves.

No they havent been on concrete at all BUT they have been getting fed heavy because of being in with some steers. I think that the last heifer is ok on her feet. I had to push her around to get pic and it was right at feeding time so she was under my feet the whole time. I think this is what has made her feet look like that. As for the hooves I would say that I have quit a few that need trimmed up, they are not foundered but are a little long. This seems to be a trait ( not very well desired) that keeps popping up. Could this be from feeding and them being easy keeping?
The first heifer is very big framed (7) but the middle one is a five and the last one is also a (7)

The first one does need more thickness but I think she has plenty of leg, or do you mean bone?

Thanks for the comments and I realize that these are pics and it is hard to tell alot. That last heifer in my opionion is pretty darn good, pic doesnt do her justice.

Thanks again JHH

The picture is not good enough for me to really jump on the hooves of the last heifer. I only have one pic so I think you have a better handle on the situation than do I. She does look long footed in that shot. We had red clay here so I have never had to trim a cows feet before age 8 and then usually because they were toeing into each other rather than getting long. The overwhelming majority of our cows (of any breed) completed a career here with us NEVER touching their feet. Of course we never grain fed heavy at all either. Talk to a beef nutritionist. I have heard of grain foundering heifers; but have no personal experience with it.

Looking back at it, I think I was comparing the last two heifers and skipped the big nice first heifer completely (the disadvantage of having to scroll from pic to pic.

Latest posts