What price do you get for hanging weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
We've just recently started selling butchered beef to individual parties based on hanging weight. We raise longhorn cow crossed with either Hereford or Angus. Calves are run on grass til they are 16 months old and then are grained for 120 days. The last batch we sold graded "High Choice" and we got $1.40/pound on hanging weight, plus they pay kill fees($40/head) and cut/wrap($.40/pound). We had trouble getting ride of the first bunch we had but the last one we had people calling and knocking on our door wanting to purchase some. I just wish we had more room to run more head.

What does everyone else get?

Bobg

I raise only a few head also, but I am charging $1.89-$1.99/lb., which includes slaughter and hauling charges. Mine are grained 9 months out of the year.

As our herd grows and we have more steers to offer, we plan to sell slaughter beef also; however, I had planned to charge by the live weight at the time of delivery to the slaughter house. The customer would then handle the rest (i.e cost of slaughter, packaging, tenderizing, etc.). Our price would include payment for the animal and the cost of feed and labor to feed it out for 120 days. I was thinking in the neighborhood of $1.50 lb.

What was the live weight on those Longhorn crosses you had buthered?

I didn't get a live weight on them since we didn't have a scale handy. The guy that owns the slaughter house figured they weighed right at 1200. Hanging weight on the halves was 350 each. He was real skeptical (sp?) that they would grade very good since they didn't have much exterior fat. But, I told him to wait until he started cutting and see how they marbled. He was impressed when I picked the meat up. We priced according to what the USDA average for yield grade is for that week.

Here's the link for how we determine price:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/NW_LS410.TXT

Bobg

Bobg:

Thanks for the link. Tried this last fall and didn't have much luck. In hind site I would have tried a little harder before sending them to the auction. Thought $1.50lb was pretty reasonable. CW

We also sell by the pound on hoof. Then the buyer can make arrangements with the processor about how he wants it cut and wrapped. Years back we tried selling it processed, but ended up with people that weren't happy with the processing or wrapping calling and complaining. If they make the arrangements themselves, it won't come back to haunt you! And you dont' have to be responsible if they don't pick up their meat right away.

We charge $2.00# hanging and the customer pays the slaughter and cut & wrap...we sell live animals and arrange shares in the steers between our customers, we also broker the processing...sell out every season (we only finish three or four times a year with five or six steers each se.
We raise all natural beef, corn finished a bit on the lean side...our customers don't like to see a whole lot of grease from the hamburger. Got a friend that sells only ground beef at $2.75/lb and sellss out every season.
Dave mc

Susie David":3jgiavos said:
We charge $2.00# hanging and the customer pays the slaughter and cut & wrap...we sell live animals and arrange shares in the steers between our customers, we also broker the processing...sell out every season (we only finish three or four times a year with five or six steers each se.
Dave mc

What breed of cattle are you raising for butcher?

currently i get $3.00 lb hanging for beef that are on feed for a min 120 days! that price includes slaughter custom cutting freezing and delivery. no salebarn cattle unless bought as just wiened calves! average age 14 to 18 months old, average wieight varies but usually 850 # up. breeds are mixed but good cross bred stock, hereford angus shorthorn, no dairy stock...
processing done by a licensed and usda inspected slaughter house. my beef grades high select with close to an 80% yield. i could but do not sell to meat markets.
i am certified by the az beef council as being on the quality assurance feed program, which is one step down from being all natural! (which i cannot qualify for because i do not raise all of my own feed, and cannot certify them as being 100% free from all pesticides and growth stimulants, i use No growth enhancment of any kind!
currently averaging between 3 to 5 per month going to slaughter with a 14 day hanging (aging) period before packaging!
i try not to sell quarters unless i have 2 people wanting one so i can give each part of the front and rear quarter!!
i have seveal customers with a standing 6 month order for meat!
i might be a little pricy but you get what you pay for and i sell quality meat, plus around here my price is consistant with others who do not sell the quality i do!
hopes this helps!!
good luck
:D :D

It has been 2 years since I have sold one by hanging weight. The processeor was charging $1.45/lb hanging at the time for his beef. I charged $1.55 for mine. I think mine is better than his. The customer paid kill and processing costs.
I do not have enough land now to raise them out. For the last 3 years, I have been calving early (Feb March) weaning at 6 months. Grain the bull calves and hiefers that haven't been sold until age 9 to 10 months. I then send them to the butcher. They average around 570 lb live and yield about 200+ lb finished. I then sell 1/4 baby beef bundles at 50+ lbs. Last year I charged. $165/bundle. The first year was slow now I have more people wanting than I have beef. These are straight Longhorns.
This program works well for newlyweds, empty nesters and single moms that don't have the need or finances for a 1/2 of beef. The bundle will fit into the frezer section of a side by side refridgerator.

my processing costs me .50 per pound hanging, plus a flat $45.00 for slaughter fee, plus i have to pay for an inspection to transport!
i am not getting rich but i survive :D :D :D :D

Just curious how long it took those of you that sell beef this way to get to the point you have a six month backlog (2-4 years?). How much TLC and massaging of the clients is involved? Maybe I'm giving it up to early? CW

TXBobcat....we raise Herefords, Angus and Baldies for sale...the herefords come in a little lighter than the rest but we average 650 to 750 hanging. Keep bought calves for six to nine months before processing.
We have developed a customer base that knows our farm and how we raise our cattle, a few of them even come out to visit "their steer" from time to time.
Its a grey area selling beef by hanging weight but so far I have heard of no regulation barring it...we could always weigh the steers or even use a predetermined foumula based on hanging to average live weight.
We have two USDA processors within a few hours drive but use the same guy we always have....$40.00 slaughter, $.35 cut & wrap.
Dave Mc

susie
quick question?
what do you mean that selling by the hanging weight is a Grey area??
around here all the major butcher shops buy their meat by hanging
weight and then cut it in house to sell over the counter!, this includes some of the major grocery stores!
my processer is usda and ada certified and according to them i am 100% legal and well within the standards set forth by the state!

of course i am also regesterd and licensed with the state !
would like to know more regarding this grey area!!!
i could understand if it concerned home kill or downers, but everything i take to be processed is state inspected prior to being transported, as well again at the processers! who does not accept either downers or home kills!
thanks

I collect my money while the animal is still alive to avoid the "grey area." Shares of the animal are sold alive, but based on an actual package weight that will be received by the customer. That packaged weight price comes out to $3 per pound. The slaughter expenses are included in that price.

The butcher I now use is charging in the high thirties per pound on hanging weight, I think 37 cents, with either a twenty or twenty-five dollar kill fee.

We raise Herefords, and butcher Herefords and their crosses, always utilizing the gene pool that we breed. In this manner we can evaluate where we are at in are breeding program in the carcass and on-feed performance area. For instance, I am feeding a steer sired by a bull I raised, (Tamerlane) out of the cross-bred, Charolais influenced daughter of the herd bull I used last year. This past winter, we butchered a steer sired by that herd bull. We feed usually over 100 days. One area that we have had great success in has been the dressing percentage from hanging to package. Always under 30% loss, and the last two only 24% loss, in spite of the last steer hanging for 16 days as the butcher was so busy.

Our butcher has been very impressed with the steers. In fact, one of the steers by that WBL Chief 20F bull he said had the best marbling he'd ever seen. I can't keep up with the demand from my customers.

Greenwillow,

What are you finishing on - grain, corn? During this finishing period are they only getting this and nothing else, or do you also provide some roughage?

CJ

bullred":3444a8pi said:
Greenwillow,

What are you finishing on - grain, corn? During this finishing period are they only getting this and nothing else, or do you also provide some roughage?

CJ

I use a 12% sweet feed with a high percentage of corn, and toward the end try to increase the corn. I have had problems getting them to clean up straight corn. I feed a limited amount of hay. They are never on drylot, so they do some grazing. There are those who will tell you this hurts the quality of the beef. My customers would disagree strongly. One repeat customer said it was the best he'd ever had in his life, and he grew up on a Kansas farm eating home-grown Angus and Hereford beef.

greenwillow
sounds like we both use close to the same feed to finish our feeders, but i back off on the corn and oats during the extreme heat in the summer,
rolled oats barley cracked corn and molassaes as mixed by a local vendor. figures (supplied by him) puts it at about 12% 14% , free choice, and due to my limited pasture resources i feed hay as opposed to free run!
how close to norman are you? have a small place near dibble that my son in law runs for me, always looking for quality seed stock!!
check your p.m.s

Latest posts