What name?

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
I needed a calf to use milk from our only milk cow, so I purchased a 3 day old calf that was sired by a Hereford and momma looked kinda like a holstein, but had speckles on her, and a black nose. She was mainly white. The owner called her a "----line" cow. What breed or type of cow was he talking about??

The American Rare Breeds Conservancy is a great program--
One that "hobby" farmers should make more use of.
These breeds are no longer commercially viable- but we don't need to loose them.
You can get your enjoyment of owning livestock satisfied- while at the same time fill a real need in agriculture.
And those breeds don't need to be raised in large numbers
- just lots of small breeding opperations dedicated to preserving their natural qualities and not trying to make them competitive in the commercial market.

I think the time has come- to be able to make money off them too(to get your tax break)-- alot of people want naturally raised meat and would prefer buying a "homey" breed that they are helping to preserve.

It makes more sense to be a big guy in a small pond and really work at accomplishing something worthwhile- Producing a few more commercial calves(or whatever) doesn't really accomplish that much in the scheme of things- and small opperations barely break even trying to .

Rustler9":96v18ay8 said:
Look at this ite and see Randall Lineback cattle.

http://www.albc-usa.org/randall.htm

I went to the site you posted on the board about randall linebacks...and when I saw the pic I was a little surprised.

The following are pics of a calf my husband bought at the auction Friday before last. He paid $17.50 for him. I'm under no illusion that this is anymore than a strangely marked calf, however, I do notice similarities in his looks and a randall lineback.

skunk1.jpg

skunk2.jpg

Alice

Great post Howdyjabo, probably deserves it's own thread. The govt runs a farm up here for rare breeds just to preserve genetics I guess.

Great looking calf for 17.50 Alice! I like the markings, almost looks like a goat! :lol:

Wow! $17.50 for unweaned calf! Oh well...if one has some $$ and time to spare...get a bottle calf...

By time it is "officially weaned" (205 days) plus some extra months on pasture should make some rather inexpensive freezer beef...

Even though it's a Lineback...probably a lot of Holstein in it for it to sell for $17.50...lol.

Running Arrow Bill":2yyyrtcy said:
Wow! $17.50 for unweaned calf! Oh well...if one has some $$ and time to spare...get a bottle calf...

By time it is "officially weaned" (205 days) plus some extra months on pasture should make some rather inexpensive freezer beef...

Even though it's a Lineback...probably a lot of Holstein in it for it to sell for $17.50...lol.

Probably a lot of holstein in it because it was bought in Stephenville, TX.

Alice

AngusLimoX":344x15um said:
Great post Howdyjabo, probably deserves it's own thread. The govt runs a farm up here for rare breeds just to preserve genetics I guess.

Great looking calf for 17.50 Alice! I like the markings, almost looks like a goat! :lol:

I thought Joan Crawford...

Alice

dun":39btqzva said:
Running Arrow Bill":39btqzva said:
probably a lot of Holstein in it for it to sell for $17.50...lol.

Or longhorn

dun

We thought longhorn until we searched randall lineback and saw randall lineback baby calves. The face markings were almost identical. Who knows...could be anything, I guess.

Alice

Lineback! That is what the guy called it! And momma cow was speckled and had the dark features. I'm envious at that $17.50 price. I gave $150.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

TnWI":2ztqlguq said:
Alice,

Thats a real nice looking calf for $17.50. Any problems with him yet?

Tanya

Not the first one...can ya' believe it? He's already started eating dry calf feed. :D

Alice

Alice":1txxj7t0 said:
TnWI":1txxj7t0 said:
Alice,

Tanya

Not the first one...can ya' believe it? He's already started eating dry calf feed. :D

Alice

Those little bull calves were fetching $150 and the heifers were going for as high as $450 at the last Stephenville auction I was at. That has been a while. Prices must be falling fast. It was hard for me to believe anyone could make money on bottle bulls at $150 each but they were selling like hot cakes. They were high in Cleburne and at that huge sale in Dublin too. I only stayed at Dublin for 10 hours. 10 hours of watching pen after pen of cattle come through is way too long. The only calves I saw were splits. They broke for supper and were going to come back and auction the calves until daylight.

backhoeboogie":27wvcqp4 said:
Alice":27wvcqp4 said:
TnWI":27wvcqp4 said:
Alice,

Tanya

Alice

Those little bull calves were fetching $150 and the heifers were going for as high as $450 at the last Stephenville auction I was at. That has been a while. Prices must be falling fast. It was hard for me to believe anyone could make money on bottle bulls at $150 each but they were selling like hot cakes. They were high in Cleburne and at that huge sale in Dublin too. I only stayed at Dublin for 10 hours. 10 hours of watching pen after pen of cattle come through is way too long. The only calves I saw were splits. They broke for supper and were going to come back and auction the calves until daylight.

Those $150 bull calves are going to buyers for people out of state, just as the $600 heifer calves are. Since the drought, calves have gotten cheaper and cheaper, except for the exceptional few. What people would have paid $150 for then are getting for half that now. Heifer babies, if they are exceptional, are still bringing high, high dollars. Out of state people are raising the holstein bull calves for feedlots. Holstein beef must be coming into fashion.

When I bought bottle baby holstein bull calves, I'd buy the ones that were marginal or ones that someone perceived to have problems. 9 times out of ten, I could sell them back in about 2 weeks and get the $150-$200 for them. But when the marginal ones started selling for $150+, I decided to stop that little venture...at least until prices came down some. They are way down now, but it's still just a bit too hot to jump back into it. Soon...very, very soon...

That Dublin sale...why in the name of heaven they wait until the wee hours of the morning to sell calves I have no idea. We went 2 weeks ago and saw some we'd have been interested in...but not if it meant staying until dawn.

Alice

Alice":wsj3m9d5 said:
That Dublin sale...why in the name of heaven they wait until the wee hours of the morning to sell calves I have no idea. We went 2 weeks ago and saw some we'd have been interested in...but not if it meant staying until dawn.

Alice

I've talked with folks who sat there for 20 plus hours bidding/selling/watching. Some of the best stock I have ever seen went through that sale. I don't like buying a dozen cows at once out of a lot that goes through. They don't like selling them one at a time.

sidney411":3uuwvlnw said:
Alice, what is the red on his back end? It looks like blood?

From the location and color it looks like paint to me

dun

Latest posts