What makes you a better cattleman?

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
What are steps your taking to make yourself a better cattleman? One of the steps I've taken recently is planting more warm season grasses and cover crops to graze.

You get on a forum, like this one, and do everything these guys tell you to do because there is more wisdom in here than most of us have in our little finger....................lol

cowgirl8":wx0wadhr said:
You get on a forum, like this one, and do everything these guys tell you to do because there is more wisdom in here than most of us have in our little finger....................lol

And more bull**** than they have at the OKC stockyards.

cowgirl8":3o4vwiby said:

I had to laugh at that. But you should behave.

Bad Linda. Bad Linda.

Winning the lottery.

But reality is finding your unfair advantage and exploiting it. Everybody, every area has one. So figuring out what yours is and taking advantage of it is what will pay.

Being a better cattleman is easy. Go watch your cows. Figure out what you should do next based on what you see.
Being a better businessman in the cow business is a little more complicated.
I've known lots and lots of managers that were fantastic at giving the cows what they need but couldn't make it pencil out to save their azz and that's why they were managers and not owners. If you're going to be in the business for yourself you have to make the cows happy AND make it pencil.

cowgirl8":1nv6cxnu said:

You are a _____!

Learning from my mistakes and the mistakes of others. I try not to make the same mistake twice. I'm pretty good at making all new ones on a regular basis!

tdc_cattle":2b2hphxi said:
I was hoping for some more specific things.
good luck with that... Doing every thing you can..covering all the angles makes you a better cattleman...not doing just one specific thing in general..to many variables....

With no sarcasm intended at all, CT has made me a better cattleman.. learning about genetics, breeding, EPD's, diseases, minerals, forages, etc.. and last but not least, looking at pictures of THOUSANDS of cattle and picking apart what you like and don't like about them, and listening to what others like and don't like about the same animals... That is a bit subjective, but there will be patterns.. length, stance, hooves, udders, and all.

Nesikep":u22tinvo said:
With no sarcasm intended at all, CT has made me a better cattleman.. learning about genetics, breeding, EPD's, diseases, minerals, forages, etc.. and last but not least, looking at pictures of THOUSANDS of cattle and picking apart what you like and don't like about them, and listening to what others like and don't like about the same animals... That is a bit subjective, but there will be patterns.. length, stance, hooves, udders, and all.

+1

Latest posts