What kind should I get?

Help Support CattleToday:

ike2004.jpg

Here's a pic of the 'crew'. Their names from the left is Angus (sheltie, jack russel, weiner dog cross), Ike (border collie blue heeler cross), Lila (heeler), Cherokee (border collie), and Spot(border collie).

the key is to know what you want the dog to do. I personally prefer Australian shepherds. They are not as hard headed as heelers and they have more force on cattle than border collies. I think many borcer collies lack the power to move cattle.

With Australian Shepehrd you essentially have two breeds sad but true. The show dogs you see on Eukanuba (On Animal Planet) dumber than dirt and working dogs (smart dogs with tons of instinct). There are very few bloodlines left that have true working Aussies. I know of several good breeders and if you are interested in a true working Aussie pm me and tell me a little bit about how you want to use the dog and I will let you know how to get in touch with them and let them know about you.

Sorry this post is so long but I hope it helps you with your decision.

Thanks for the explanation DrumRunner. Makes things a lot clearer . . .

Basically we have three main breeds of working dog here - Blue Heelers, Border Collies and Kelpies. Although I've worked them before, I dont favour Heelers simply because the cattle I work nowadays I don't need that kind of force. Border Collies do well on sheep, but as someone else said, I have found they don't do so well on rough cattle. They are okay on quiet cattle, and would be my pick out of the three for a family pet. I prefer a good kelpie as an all round working dog, and they are generally good on sheep, goats and quiet cattle. But they can get a bit attached to one person, which makes problems if you want one as a family pet.

phillse":2egfk7rx said:
the key is to know what you want the dog to do. I personally prefer Australian shepherds. They are not as hard headed as heelers and they have more force on cattle than border collies. I think many borcer collies lack the power to move cattle.

With Australian Shepehrd you essentially have two breeds sad but true. The show dogs you see on Eukanuba (On Animal Planet) dumber than dirt and working dogs (smart dogs with tons of instinct). There are very few bloodlines left that have true working Aussies. I know of several good breeders and if you are interested in a true working Aussie pm me and tell me a little bit about how you want to use the dog and I will let you know how to get in touch with them and let them know about you.

Sorry this post is so long but I hope it helps you with your decision.

Phillse, I agree with you that there are basically two breeds. The worst day ever for Aussies was when the American Kennel Club finally overcame the resistance of the Australian Shepherd Club of America and "recognized" the breed.

Here's my blue lacy pup at 6 months.

Stryker6monthssmallpic.jpg

Here he is gettin' after it at 6 months, first time out of the yard and around cows

WorkingCows6months2.jpg

WorkingCows6months3.jpg

A few days after these pictures were taken, I took him to the heifer pasture where with a little encouragement, he gathered up the heifers and lined them up side by side. Again, no training what so ever.

I'll be sending him to the trainer's soon so we can get some handle and learn to avoid bad habits, like splitting the herd. I expect him to get about 30 days of training. Actually, I think I need more training than he does. He is now 9 months old and weighs close to 50 pounds. To keep in shape, he chases barn swallows. :D

I have had Aussie's for years. I love them & their personality. They love to play. Mine follow us everywhere & really would prefer being with us all of the time. They are people dogs and love attention. I do have one that likes to protect her food & will herd our other dog or cats away from us occasionally. She also trys to eat the grass faster then the cows or horses so they can't eat HER grass!

The only thing I know about the Australian Cattle dog is our neighbor had one & you would not dare stop for a visit without them being around to call the dog away from us. Even then, it would follow behind us and bite our heels.

CC - They are kinda' rare in Texas, much less anywhere else. The breed is being brought back. Central Texas is where you will find most of them.

Send me a PM - where do you live? I can get you several people to go see their dogs. I really like mine and I'm looking into getting a second one. Perhaps you can come look at my Stryker.

What I like about them -

They are not eager to bite like Heelers
They are fast like Border Collies
They are family pets like Aussies (mine is the laziest dog in the house, but goes non stop outside)
They will work all day in the Texas heat
They are tough as nails
They are low maintenance dogs - don't need a lot of brushing or bathing and the short coats don't catch burs.
They have a natural instinct on cows but are smart enough to know when you are working cows, chasing hogs, or blood trailing and won't mix the tasks up.

Sorry everyone, but I love :heart: :heart: my Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
His idea of a good time is working cows, swimming in the swimming pool and running around with my kids. Deep snow is a favorite place to run for him.

My husband had a blue heeler. On our first date that dog bit me. Jealous. He bit me about 6 times before we were forced to put him down a few years ago. Old age. Never bit the kids just me. :roll:

CC I would really look around at all breeds before deciding. If you go to a reputable breeder they may have you sign a contract to return the dog to them if you no longer want them. Mine did. We had looked at a lot of different breeds and talked to different dog owners before we made the decision to get the corgi.
Hope you find the dog you are looking for.

My fiancee has two Aussies and her mother has 6. They're a pain in the neck to groom. I picked up a stray Aussie earlier today that was less than 2 years old and from working stock. He had semi long hair that was very wiry. He wasn't fat like my mother in law's dogs are or big. I liked his looks but found out he had an Avid microchip so he went back to the owner. Not sure if I want an Aussie unless they come in a short haired version, lol. They're smart, I'll tell you that but I have a blue lacy myself.

My fiancee has two Aussies and her mother has 6. They're a pain in the neck to groom. I picked up a stray Aussie earlier today that was less than 2 years old and from working stock. He had semi long hair that was very wiry. He wasn't fat like my mother in law's dogs are or big. I liked his looks but found out he had an Avid microchip so he went back to the owner. Not sure if I want an Aussie unless they come in a short haired version, lol. They're smart, I'll tell you that but I have a blue lacy myself.

CC,
I just got a male & female aussie this month. There pups under 2 months old out of different litters. I'll pick them up in Sept. when I return to the states. I'll bring them to see ya in Sept. when I get home. I had a female for 13yrs. I never loaded a semi on the ranch without her. I would walk down the alley with her following on my right side. After counting the # of head needed. I just said Ethyl load...followed her in the truck & shut gate. She did the rest. It didn't matter top deck or bottom she loaded them. Might load 15 trucks a day when loading. You never had a stranger get out of his vehicle at my house. She was sitting at the door of vehicle. Best dog I've ever owned!!!picture is of the female.[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/dougivy1/puppy.jpg[/img]

Don't let anyone tell you Blue Heeler's (ACD's) are not for kids. . .they are very loyal, protective, and babysitters! BUT, but, but. . .they DO need a job! If not, they will get bored and maybe turn out to be not so good family pets. The same is true of most working dogs (i.e., Border Collie, Aussie, Kelpie, etc.). Doesn't mean you have to have a hundred cows for them to run all day long, but does mean they need something to do other than lounge around the house. Have you considered a mix of breeds? Sometimes, depending on what exactly you want in a dog, choosing a "mutt" is the best. That way you get the best of both breeds (i.e., lab and BC - good family dog that's easily trained). If I could figure out how to post a picture, I'd show you my BC/ACD that I run in agility and will soon start in flyball. He's a very type A personality and high maintenance at agility trials, but very cool at home (unless you start talking about agility!). Just depends upon what you're looking for.[/url]

twmno101":2unk65f2 said:
Don't let anyone tell you Blue Heeler's (ACD's) are not for kids. . .they are very loyal, protective, and babysitters! BUT, but, but. . .they DO need a job!

We've only had one Blue Heeler, but that is how she was - she would (and did) walk through broken glass and the fires of hell to protect the little ones!

If I could figure out how to post a picture, I'd show you my BC/ACD that I run in agility and will soon start in flyball. He's a very type A personality and high maintenance at agility trials, but very cool at home (unless you start talking about agility!). Just depends upon what you're looking for.[/url]

At the top of the breeds board are directions to posting pictures. If that doesn't work, if you would e-mail your picture to me I would sure post it for you.

If you are looking for a family dog I would suggest a Lab or a Golden Retriever, maybe a Newfoundland, very good temperament dogs. Also, a Heinz 57 from a local pound is also a good choice. Some Heinz 57 dogs make better pets than any other registered breed.

If you want a dog for protection, and a very loyal attitude, I would say a German Shepherd or a Dalmation, both very protective.

Gail

i have two blue heelers and they are wonderful dogs. one is now going on 11 years old and the other is 6 months. they are more a family dog then a working dog. the oldest one has been use to move cattle but shes a friendly ole thing wouldnt harm a flea,, (except for the sweeper that she would kill if she could) the puppy is just coming into her own, shes has her moments but what puppy doesnt. but she loves the kids. but where they go shes goes, she will sit and watchthe kids play for hours.

Keren":1sqbpa18 said:
Are you looking for a family pet or a working dog?

But the Australian Cattle Dog - and I'm assuming that's the same as a Blue Heeler - is not a family pet. Especially not for kids as young as yours.

I have owned Blue Heelers, and although mine were working dogs, they were the best babysitters I could have asked for. They never allowed the cows more then a few feet from me or the kids, and strangers definitely got some "attitude" when the kids were outside playing and I was in the house.

Granted the Heeler can be agressive by nature, so you definitely have to watch where you get your dog from - make sure you get to see the parents, or get references from others who have bought dogs from the seller.

I love the breed, and would take one in a hearbeat!

English Shepherd - an American breed developed from British stock and then a little more thrown in over the centuries, possibly some hound. Before all the imports they were the premier farm dog of this country. Now they are rare.

They will babysit the kids, protect the territory and work all kinds of stock. I have one that will track very well. Usually natural heelers. The best ones have an incredible sense of judgment.

They will work all day with you or relax beside you. They are more interested in working for you and being with you rather than being focused on stock alone.

One of the foundation dogs of the Aussie. Cousins of the border collie, regular collie.

Sensitive dogs that do not usually need harsh correction, yet can be gritty to.

http://www.workingenglishshepherds.com

http://dogwebs.net/kennel.asp?Kennel=Wi ... +Shepherds

Be careful of the pedigrees. Ask about unknowns and if they were English Shepherds.

On double coated dogs, please think twice about shaving them. The undercoat not only does a great job keeping them warm in the winter, but works the opposite, keeping them cool in the summer.

When the coat is shaved, you sort of mess with the ecosystem.

If it is really hot, just keep a baby pool of water for them to jump in and cool off, if there is not access to a creek or pond.

Latest posts