Puppy scammers what next

Help Support CattleToday:

f1tiger

Reaction score
Looking for a Doberman on the net, found a lot of websites offering lower prices than showdog prices but same pictures of pups on different sites . What the heck, then saw puppy scam .net that listed some of these breeders that I had just visited. They are good as they websites are fantastic, then saw article from better business bureau warning people of puppy scams. What next, buyer beware, if you cannot drive and see the dog yourself do not buy

Fortunately our local pound always let's you see the dogs first

Well that can be expected when people are willing to pay $6000 for a dog.
Shoot, you could buy one of BH's lower end bulls for that price.

:lol:

We sell a litter of puppies each year (Corgi), and it is amazing how many people try to scam us! We sell most of our pups by word of mouth (people who have seen our pups and want one), however I almost always have a few left over at 6 weeks, so I put an ad on puppyfind.com. When someone wants a puppy, and they are worried it is a scam, I take a picture of the puppy, with a sheet of paper with the date and the person's name written on the paper. That way, they know it is legit and I am not a scam.
On my side, I always have people who offer to send me money, with extra, and I am to send them the puppy with the money left over that I did not need. Yea, right :roll: I have been wronged once, someone paid for half the pup with a check mailed early, then when they came to pick the pup up they wrote a check for the second half (they lived several states away). The check bounced. It took me 6 months to get the rest of my money from them, and they tried making every excuse in the world to not pay.

I bought a black & tan coon hound puppy with papers at a coon dog festival in Orangeburg, South Carolina that grew into a miniature black & tan dachshund looking cross.

ga.prime said:
I bought a black & tan coon hound puppy with papers at a coon dog festival in Orangeburg, South Carolina that grew into a miniature black & tan dachshund looking cross.
:lol2:

ga.prime said:
The main question is did he tree coons?

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
We sell a litter of puppies each year (Corgi), and it is amazing how many people try to scam us! We sell most of our pups by word of mouth (people who have seen our pups and want one), however I almost always have a few left over at 6 weeks, so I put an ad on puppyfind.com. When someone wants a puppy, and they are worried it is a scam, I take a picture of the puppy, with a sheet of paper with the date and the person's name written on the paper. That way, they know it is legit and I am not a scam.
On my side, I always have people who offer to send me money, with extra, and I am to send them the puppy with the money left over that I did not need. Yea, right :roll: I have been wronged once, someone paid for half the pup with a check mailed early, then when they came to pick the pup up they wrote a check for the second half (they lived several states away). The check bounced. It took me 6 months to get the rest of my money from them, and they tried making every excuse in the world to not pay.

It was Ron wasn't it?

kenny thomas said:
ga.prime said:

Best I remember him doing was chase lizards.

ga.prime said:
kenny thomas said:
ga.prime said:

Best I remember him doing was chase lizards.

Good lizard hound could be worth a lot.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Fire Sweep Ranch said:

It was Ron wasn't it?

If it was a talking dog it was...

There are so many scams out there. I love responsible breeders. They don't make any money, but they love their dogs. We get our dogs from good local breeders that we have visited prior to buying a puppy.

The scam here in the South is that rich Northerners come down to adopt all of our non-bully looking pound dogs before us locals can even look at them. They pay the really cheap adoption fees, drive them up North, and sell them as rescues for several hundred dollars. That means every time I tried to adopt a nice herding cross (my favorite type of dog) they were already reserved for some "rescue" (dog broker) from up North. The puppy mills are in on it, too. They sell litters to fake rescues, who ship them to states that have strict laws and still make hundreds of dollars by calling them "rescues".

Well meaning laws have backfired.

ga.prime said:

I had a had a gal in Tennessee tell my sister when she questioned a pup " Oh he will slick out when he gets older...". :). Sounds like the same folks. ;)

Black and tan coonhound to a dachshund cross? Maybe because more than one male entertained their female? Females can have puppies from different fathers in the same litter. Maybe they sold the pups because they saw one of the fathers was a hound. They missed Shorty's romantic evening, lol!

People need to keep their female dogs penned up better, or spay them before they can be bred. I still hear people that believe a female dog has to have one litter before she is spayed or go through one heat cycle. It's not true. You can spay female dogs early without any long term effects. The only thing you miss out on are the heat cycles and obnoxious males coming around.

Certain large frame male dogs need to finish growing before they are fixed, but that's because testosterone helps temper growth. We are supposed to wait until our male GSD is over a year. We'll see. If he gets too obnoxious, he's off to the vet!