Help! Puppy food

Help Support CattleToday:

Iayndawn

Reaction score
Hello all! well Tofuu is officially 3 months now and is growing so fast. but I DO NOT like the food that my bf family has been feeding him. (done some research). cause i've noticed that he has been scratching alot and biting at his fur. so i am switching his food as soon as i can and as soon i get some opinions as well! (for reassurance. ).

Well these are the brands that i am looking to buy, Orijen Puppy, Solid Gold, Wellness for Puppies, Blue Buffalo Puppy, Innova Puppy, or Acana. and another question i really want to ask you fellow shiba parents. Do you feed you puppy straight up dry food (high quality kibbles) or do you mix the kibbles with some wet food? and if so what combinations did you feed your shiba pup this early in puppyhood?

sorry to sounds so antsy!, but i just HATE the food he's been eating this past week . Tofuu's health and growth is what's important. THANKSSSS for all your help and advice in advance.

Might not be the food.

I've had two Labrador's that were highly allergic to flea bites. Symptoms were scratching and biting to the point of lost fur and sores. Topical controls and flea dip wasn't enough to get the job done. Only thing that worked was the monthly oral Nextguard chewables. It is pricey and their is a less expensive brand on the market for heartworm and fleas that worked (can't remember the name right now) but it appears it is very unpalatable and they quickly refuse any attempt to take it.
Also be aware, just because you can't find a flea on them doesn't mean it hasn't been exposed or bitten by one. I was stubborn about that in the beginning too.

The only time our 7 dogs ever bite and scratch is when I slack on the flea meds. I use a topical called Advantix. Helps with fleas and ticks. Available over the counter, WalMart, Amazon, pet store, etc. Runs about $10 per dog per month. Soooo worth it knowing my dogs are happy and healthy. Plus, no fleas biting me! I've tried several other meds and none work as well as Advantix.
In addition to addressing fleas and food allergies maybe add a soothing bath for your pup. Dawn dish soap - the BLUE one- is awesome to wash off any contact dermatitis then use an oatmeal bath to soothe the skin. Good luck!

Is your puppy a Shiba Inu? If yes, the breed has a number of genetic health issues including allergies. At 3 months I would cease feeding "puppy" versions and switch to adult kibble from a brand proven to be low allergenic. Pushing for growth in any dog breed contributes to or exacerbates skeletal issues/congenital deformities.

Might not be the food.

I've had two Labrador's that were highly allergic to flea bites. Symptoms were scratching and biting to the point of lost fur and sores. Topical controls and flea dip wasn't enough to get the job done. Only thing that worked was the monthly oral Nextguard chewables. It is pricey and their is a less expensive brand on the market for heartworm and fleas that worked (can't remember the name right now) but it appears it is very unpalatable and they quickly refuse any attempt to take it.
Also be aware, just because you can't find a flea on them doesn't mean it hasn't been exposed or bitten by one. I was stubborn about that in the beginning too.

Same here. ;)