I lost my Jed today

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
We are in severe drought here and I have my cows and calves in my old tin mine which is of poor quality thick scrub. I take in a grain mix each morning and they have to scrounge up the roughage for the rest of the day. Today I took in the feed and then proceeded further in to plant about half a dozen kikuyu runners on a large dam wall that I recently repaired, only takes a few minutes and I try to make a habit of it everytime I go in there. Jed runs along ahead of the UTV and has a good time. Today I saw him double back and was stalking something in the scrub and headed towards the main track to head it off, I thought it must have been a roo. I did my planting which only takes a few minutes and heard a bit of a noise but thought he must have a roo baled up. My Jack Russell heard the noise and went off to investigate, I head back and just along the main track I see this black thing on the track and thought it must be a pig but then said to myself a pig would not have Jeds blue cattle tag and collar on it and then I looked further down the track and saw a wild dog (dingo/ domestic cross) disappear into the scrub. Jed was still alive gasping from damage to the neck and throat, I took him home and he died about 3 hours later. Jed is a Kelpie about 18kg, very strong and fit dog but not a fighter, he was obviously overpowered. He was a faithfull companion and very handy with the cattle, I will really miss him.

My little Jack Russell met back up with us as I was leaving the tin mine much to my relief as I thought I may have lost both of them. She must have seen what was happening as she seems pretty traumatized. I sighted in the 223 this arvo and it will go with me now but the opportunity to get a shot in is limited in this close country, a handgun would be very handy or even a sawn off shotgun. I will probably borrow some traps from a friend. A neighbour over the back who does a lot of dog trapping has been getting a few photos on his cameras so I am hoping it is the same dog as he will have traps set.

Ken

Sorry, Ken. You just got to roll with it. I still have memories of losing dogs when I was pre-teens. It never leaves. Just roll with it.

Sorry to hear that, no two dogs are the same. My brother had a dingo cross, bloody mongrel of a thing and should have been shot. He eventually got rid of it, never said why but i think he became scared of what it might do. This dog had that dingo mentality where you couldn't stop it's instincts. It could run at over 60kmh alongside the motorbike and seen it catch and kill an emu. My brother saw it take down a 5ft tall roo. Catch a snake and would shake it so fast it was a blur, bits of snake flying everywhere. But the scary thing was once it decided something was a target you couldn't stop it with that dingo cross mentality.

I am so sorry :cry2: over the rainbow bridge to wait for us.

Thank you all for your thoughts, it has been tough, very lonely this morning when the usual ritual of the 6 o'clock news I would go out on the back verandah and let Jed out of his pen and then we go around feeding the cows, very empty feeling.

I have decided to jump straight back on the bike. I have been doing a bit of searching over the last few weeks with regard to getting another bitch as Jed while still very fit was around 8 years old and sort of thinking in terms of succession planning. There is a very good Working Kelpie breeder just a couple of hours north of here and she has a nice black and tan puppy bitch from very good working parents which come from the heart of her renowned working families and I hope to get up there this arvo to pick her up. I am sure Jed would not mind, only that he is not here to teach it.

Ken

I feel your pain and I sympathize with you. I had to put down our 14-year-old Golden (kids dog) a couple of years ago. Something I never want to have to do again. I have lost many pets in my increasingly long life, it is never easy regardless of the cause.

I hope I am not being out of line here, but my father always told me of a story when he visiting a farm. The old guy who owned the farm kept cussing his dog to get out of the way and quit chasing the cows. A few minutes later, a cow kicked the dog in the head and the guy started crying saying, "Omg it killed my dog!"
Out pets are just like family.

Sorry for your losing your dog. I hope you get the sorry piece of sh!t that got it. Those crosses seem to be even worse about going after and killing things than the wild ones. Here the coy-dogs are bigger and bolder than the coyotes and have very little fear of much of anything.
Best of luck with the new pup.

wbvs58 said:
Thank you all for your thoughts, it has been tough, very lonely this morning when the usual ritual of the 6 o'clock news I would go out on the back verandah and let Jed out of his pen and then we go around feeding the cows, very empty feeling.

I have decided to jump straight back on the bike. I have been doing a bit of searching over the last few weeks with regard to getting another be nice as Jed while still very fit was around 8 years old and sort of thinking in terms of succession planning. There is a very good Working Kelpie breeder just a couple of hours north of here and she has a nice black and tan puppy be nice from very good working parents which come from the heart of her renowned working families and I hope to get up there this arvo to pick her up. I am sure Jed would not mind, only that he is not here to teach it.

Ken
Ken, did you get a new puppy?

Yes I did. I have had her for about 2.5 wks now, gee time goes fast. Her name is Ellie, she was about 12 wks when I got her. Kelpie of course, good working bloodlines and she wants to work every cow she sees. I leave a drag lead on her when I am near the cattle so I can control her exuberance. We are working on basic obedience now and I will start her on the calves when I wean them in the new year. She is very outgoing personality and sticks close to me. I'll have to post a photo or two of her.

Ken

Great!!! Yes, please post pictures.
My new "pup" is 16 months old all ready. Time really does fly. He is a Miniature Schnauzer. I have owned a MS for about 40 years and a Blue Heeler for about 50 years. This is the BEST MS I have ever owned. Looks and personality. He harasses the heeler (7 years old) pitifully. they are really buddies.

Ken sorry for your loss, hope this new pup turns out to be a gooden! Would love to see some pictures of her and the country side.

:clap: Yay for getting a new poopie! This nosey long time Kelpie owner/admirer would like to know where you got Ellie and how she's bred.

Latest posts