What kind of truck.

Help Support CattleToday:

a7 livestock

Reaction score
Hey fellas, what kind of truck would you recommend for a 36 x 8 featherlite, I've got a nice f650 here local, any other suggestions ?

Up here diesel is favored for pulling heavy loads, however I have seen gas F 150 pulling a 16'featherlite trailer. Now it is probably had a decent sized motor under the hood.But some of those great big motors will pass everything on the highway except a gas station. :nod:
Something you should realize is that you have to have adequate cooling ability for your transmission, or it can overheat which will shorten the life of your trany.
In this area Dodge ram 4X4 --3/4 ton diesel is vehicle of choice for a very very high portion of the population.The reason being the body can handle the winter high road salt conditions without rusting out real fast, and combine that with a cummins diesel engine it can take a beating, and 4X4 because we have alot of snow, muck and mud,combine that with getting stuck in a field or in the bush somewhere, and not having to walk a zillion miles to get someone to pull you out.
Many of the older Chevy / GMC diesel had injector problems and had to have re-builds at low mileage, which is major $$$$.
The ford powerstroke were a good engine, but the older ones just couldn't handle the salt that is put on our roads during the winter and rusted real fast.
In the coastal / desert areas of B.C you will see more non 4X4 trucks and more Fords and chevy trucks.
This is what is and has been used in our area, but in different areas of course different climates /situations require a different vehicle.

A neighbor pulls a heavy 3 horse with living quarters behind, and it's either a 1 ton or 4500 dodge flat deck with a braking system with no problems.
Alot of the trucks in this area have a second radiator tucked in the front for heavy pulling to protect the trany from over heating. Don't think I have ever seen a second radiator in anything south of the Canadian border though..

I have had all three over the last few years. Currently on a Duramax. My opinion is go with the Cummins! Much more reliable motor than the others. I like the Duramax and Allison transmission combo, power is good, but miss the mileage of my last cummins. I would not ever buy a powerstroke again. Ford makes a good truck, but the motor blows. The Chevy is ok so far, not as snappy as a Cummins though. Whatever route you go make sure to invest in a good custom programmed tuner for it. Worlds of difference there!

I agree on the Cummins. However much of the discussion here is on engines when it should be on brakes and truck weight.

Even a 16 ft bumper pull trailer will hold six 1500 lb cows. That's 9000 lb there plus maybe 3000 lb for the trailer that's 12000 lb total. That can not be safely pulled by a half ton truck. And it can not be safely stopped by anything less than about a 1 ton. Maybe a heavy 3/4 but I shudder when I hear stories about what people pull down the road with a 1/2 ton truck.

Picture yourself going downhill toward an intersection with a school bus crossing in front of you. Engine is not the important factor, truck weight and brakes are.

I have never thought buying a used truck was a good idea, but if you can, try to avoid buying something that you have to put def in. I know a guy that has one and with what the def cost's it's like paying 20 cents a gallon more for fuel.

SRBeef":1t80gj3h said:
However much of the discussion here is on engines when it should be on brakes and truck weight.

exactly correct!

That can not be safely pulled by a half ton truck. And it can not be safely stopped by anything less than about a 1 ton. Maybe a heavy 3/4 but I shudder when I hear stories about what people pull down the road with a 1/2 ton truck.

My 3/4 ton should pull it okay, BUT if I hauled a 36' trailer fully loaded very much, I would go with at least a one ton. My current truck of choice is a 2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500 diesel. I would be open to looking at a Dodge or Ford, but every time I compare the ride and comfort, I end up with another Chevy... I just don't feel they are touchable in those categories, but will agree that Ford and Dodge have improved greatly improved their ride in the past 3 or so years. One thing that needs to be considered and is often over looked are the trailer brakes AND knowing how to properly adjust the truck's brake controller.

Picture yourself going downhill toward an intersection with a school bus crossing in front of you. Engine is not the important factor, truck weight and brakes are.

very true. it's also just as important to know how to drive a truck pulling a loaded trailer. One must also consider the terrain. I'm old enough to be wise enough to know I'm not experienced in hauling in steep mountains. I'm in Florida, and have hauled cattle and heavy equipment through hills in the SE, but I can guarantee I would be driving like grandma if I were pulling a load through the mountains...regardless of the truck I was driving! .

Goose neck trailers are the "in" thing now in this area, and goose necks with living quarters are starting to gain in popularity.
Most of them are pulled with an ordinary 3/4 ton-1 ton with a "dead man" switch so if the trailer come loose it locks the brakes on the trailer. It seems the popularity is in the turnablity of the trailer without jack knifeing and alot less swaying than a regular trailer, although sway bars can reduce that problem in a bumper pull. The downside is you can't put much in the back of the truck with a goose neck.
Concerning the size of the loads, legally there is a weight limit to what one is supposed to haul in any given trailer, but I know people who have crammed 6 bulls in a 16 foot goertzen and hauled them.
don't know how they got them in or out.
If they would have been caught they would have been "hung", and probably rightly so because at that weight there is a safety factor involved.
Also involved in the truck question could also be automatic or standard. Now days some automatics have an overdrive switch which can be used to gear down, but for hauling loads and slowing ability the standard is often better if you can drive one.
Lost my brakes once going down a pretty good hill in a standard truck. I geared it down and stood on maybe 5% brakes left, said a prayer, and coasted to a stop at the bottom of the hill. Might have been a different story if it had been an automatic.
With a standard one can use the gears to slow instead of alway riding the brakes or using the trailer brakes in a larger trailer.

Get yourself a single axle road tractor with day cab. You can find a reliable used one for under 10
grand. Dedicate it to pulling your big loads. Plenty of power and brakes.

I probably won't be using this truck other than pulling loads with the trailer, I've already bought the trailer and pulled it home empty with a Chevy 3500, no way I'd feel safe pulling it fully loaded with stockers. Buying a new truck or used is an option, and I appreciate all of the insight, any more would be great!

the f650 will pull that trailer just fine.ive got a friend that pulls his 32 by 6 gooseneck cattle trailer with an f450.he said he was hammering the 1 tons in less than 5yrs.

Craig":rdsd04o2 said:
I have had all three over the last few years. Currently on a Duramax. My opinion is go with the Cummins! Much more reliable motor than the others. I like the Duramax and Allison transmission combo, power is good, but miss the mileage of my last cummins. I would not ever buy a powerstroke again. Ford makes a good truck, but the motor blows. The Chevy is ok so far, not as snappy as a Cummins though. Whatever route you go make sure to invest in a good custom programmed tuner for it. Worlds of difference there!

Which Ford engine did you have trouble with? I've heard bad stuff about the 6.0L but what about the others?

shaz":12jmlkik said:
Craig":12jmlkik said:

Which Ford engine did you have trouble with? I've heard bad stuff about the 6.0L but what about the others?
I don't know what he has had, but i have never heard anything just real good about the 6.4 that replaced the 6.0.