What is your favorite cross for mother cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusXGelbvieh, AngusX Simm. Brangus X Gelbviev. I have 8 Angus X Simm ( about 1/16 Simm) I bred to Gelbvieh Bulls the last 2 years, best calves we have produced. Also 2 Brangus cows bred to Gelbvieh, great calves. Will do all most of our cows to Gelbvieh bulls this year, except the heifers out of this cross. We will use Balancers on them.

~

For our environment and the rotten weather:

SimAngus moms bred back to Hereford bull. Fast growing, vibrant calves.

If we could find a Gelbvieh bull around here, I'd try that instead.

CowCop-

This is a good question, and there are some good answers here. BUT- it depends upon what your Environment happens to be, that is - where you are located geographically, and whether you are selecting for Maternal Cow--Calf operation, or selling weaned calves for feedlot Terminal operation, or raising females for Replacement heifers for Terminal production , or Maternal cow-calf crossbred bull production or - or - or. . .

And we come right back to the old BASICS of ANY Beef operation. The Genetics and Phenotypical appearances are more critical than which particular combination of breeds are significant - not that they are not important, because they certainly are!

DOC HARRIS

Hereford x Holstein, bred to Simmental make for some big calves. I really like Hereford x Shorthorn cows bred Charolais. Nice mottled tan calves with some of the best mothers you can get.

Black Angus X Hereford true f-1 black baldies any number of bulls could be used for a ter. cross

I really like my Limi x Angus momma cows. Good milkers but not too much. Tight udders. A little longer in the leg and somewhat protective but not too hard to handle. Wean off a 550 to 600 pound calf at 180 to 205 days.

I think that the environment the cattle live in and the purpose for them play a large role in what works best for each individual. We really like the simangus cow crossed with an angus bull. This fits our operation well since we feed all our cattle out and sell them on the grid. We not only want to try to maximize the pounds we get off of a cow, but also those pounds need to be of very high quality. We also have some mostly angus cows that we put a simangus bull with and have been very pleased.

Heterosis should be maximized on any true f1 cross, such fullblood limi x herford or any other combination of straight bred cattle. at least that should be true, all though not all combinatons maybe as complmentary as others.

Some of the highest quality calves I've seen came out of registered Braford cows bred to Charolais bulls. The calves were thick, fast growing, and structurally correct.

Latest posts