What is y'alls favorite breed of chicken

Help Support CattleToday:

If I were to say what my favorite chicken is it's the New Hampshire. They are pretty, lay good and have pretty decent dispositions. Since I am going to keep chickens, I raise purebreds so that I can also show them which I have been doing off and on for nearly 50 years. I also have standard size Black Langshans. They are such a stately bird, but lay a somewhat small size egg for the size of the bird. I have also had the langshans in bantam size; and I have raised S.C. light brown leghorns, s.c. dark brown leghorns, cochin bantams, and some others over the years. I have always had the commercial sex-links for just the egg production. We also have raised the cornish-rock cross for meat and still think they are about the best for that. I have had welsummers that have the basic color pattern of the light brown leghorns, but lay a real dark brown egg and are hardy and have a body that will provide a good table bird. There are also Marans that lay a real dark brown egg. If you like to look at different chickens, order from a hatchery like Ideal in TX and get an assortment of chicks and you will get some real "different" ones. Or go to a poultry show and gawk at all the different kinds. "Poultry Press" is for poultry breeders and lists shows all over the country.

JSCattle, that's a nice coop you built for your wife. My sister had white leghorn bantams as a kid and had one that would also sit on her shoulder and she put a cat harness on it and walked it on a leash.

HDRider, the buff orpington is a favorite of alot of home flocks around here, they are a pretty bird. The RI RED is one of the "parent" breeds in making the N Hampshires. They are a good old standby breed. Dominiques have been in this country forever and are a very hardy bird also. Not as much in favor as they were at one time. The australorps are not raised by many and you don't see them at many shows. They were a good bird for the table also.

CB I sympathize about the predators. If it's not the night time ones, then the eagle, hawks and daytime runs by the foxes and coyotes are all looking for free meals here. There are alot of people who are using guardian dogs now to help protect their stock. My german shepard years ago would also keep the worst of the predators away.

I had 2 smaller camper trailers that we gutted and made into moveable "coops" for the free range layers. Worked good. Opened them up in the morning, closed them in at night which meant 2 trips a day EVERY DAY or there would be feathers and less chickens...had the nest boxes hanging on one wall, roost poles on both ends and the feeders and waterers inside. The birds always went back there to lay. Yes it was alot of work and I didn't realize much in profit but I enjoyed them. Then the eagle started picking one a day and I finally gave up. They did a good job of spreading some of the cow manure piles and eating bugs. Had less flies those couple of years, bothering the cows. If they were home at my place it would have been okay but they were at a rented pasture. If I could have kept a dog there to protect them I think I would still be doing it. Now, I have small "moveable" type coops that I just move around the yard/garden/field and they fertilize as they go.

Jan, I assume the "Dominickers", as I have always heard them called, are out of favor because they are more all purpose as opposed to strictly meat or layer birds? I've always liked the look of them.

My great great aunt, who used to have an egg route, always kept Black Minorcas (Minarkeys). She said they laid the biggest, whitest eggs.

wbvs58":m13tnw82 said:
Farmerjan, your certainly an encyclopedia on chickens.

I have often thought about doing a semicommercial thing on free range chickens based on a mobile night time lock up caravan with the view to help fertilise my paddocks but then it does mean extra jobs to do feeding and locking up at night and collecting and marketing the eggs. I would like to do it but I am getting a bit old to give myself those extra jobs.

Ken

Saw a guy the other with a timer on his Mobil chicken house. It let em out in the morning, and shut em in at night. Pretty neat deal, running off a car battery. I don't think he was feeding these anything, just letting my them pick around his barn lots.

slick4591":3m6axu1u said:
I have one that plugs in. Works pretty good but you have to keep adjusting the timer for different daylight hours.
Hook it up through a photocell, that takes care of the lack of light problems

Was going to do that but built a chain link yard for them and scratched the photocell idea. Sure has kept the varmint strikes down.

Clodhopper":ou74ovl3 said:
Jan, I assume the "Dominickers", as I have always heard them called, are out of favor because they are more all purpose as opposed to strictly meat or layer birds? I've always liked the look of them.

My great great aunt, who used to have an egg route, always kept Black Minorcas (Minarkeys). She said they laid the biggest, whitest eggs.

The "dominickers" seem to come and go at the shows. Some I think has to do with the "general" purpose of the breed, but some go to Barred Rocks because they want the pattern to be more defined. And the difference of the rose combed dominique and the s.c barred rock. The dominique is more of a versatile breed as far as being more of a forager from what I have been told. I like the more upsweep to their tails than a rock . Guess that's why I like the Langshans, an almost U shape back with a real upright tail & proud carriage.

I think that the Minorcas are the largest of the mediterranean breeds and the best suited for both laying and table use. They are a pretty bird and have probably one of the whitest eggs. Don't see too many of them around anymore either. I don't think I have ever seen them in anything than black even though I think both the white and buff varieties are recognized.

Oh if I could, I would have a dozen different breeds....HMMMMM maybe with retirement....

Farm raised chicken and eggs are the best and great for rearing and educating kids by giving them useful chores.
First by watching and then by helping learned about butchering too.

My favorites are Buff Orpingtons and Ameraucanas. From our experience, the Orpingtons tend to be very laid back and continue to lay throughout the winter, while the Ameraucanas are better egg layers and do very well in our summer heat.

I like Buff Orpington and Barred Rock hens. This is mainly because they seem to be quite chickens that last a long time and have decent production. Last year a coyote wiped out the hens so the youngest son brought half a dozen old hens over and dumped them on me. They are an odd assortment. However there is one Barred Rock which has turned into the wife's favorite.

Thanks everyone. Last week, I reserved some chickens for later in March. Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, and Rhode Island Reds. Had also tried to get a few White Leghorns but they weren't available on that day, and I don't want different groups, so now am trying to decide on which of the other breeds to get a few more of.
Skyhightree, do Australorps set?

Ky hills if you are looking some setters get you some of them fighting game hens

BRYANT":3gwmig3s said:
Ky hills if you are looking some setters get you some of them fighting game hens

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific, I don't want hens that are prone to setting. Had a Buff Orpington hen that was on the lower end of the laying scale, as I understand they are supposed to be pretty fair layers as a whole. She would lay a few days, and then go to setting. Did let her hatch some once, when I had a rooster.

I have been getting mostly white leghorns, and a few Golden Comets/Red Stars. The comets or stars have seemed to be about as good of layers as the Leghorns, but in each group of chickens several of their eggs consistently have imperfections about the shell that my mother doesn't like. It doesn't bother my wife and I so we have been using the brown eggs. I have been wondering if since they are bred for high egg production if there is something in their genes that makes them produce more shell material, that accounts for the extra shell growth bumps on the eggs. Had a leghorn once that always laid an egg with a shell that felt like sand paper, ( always felt so sorry for her when she layed those). My thinking was that we might try a more standard breed, that the egg shell quality may be more consistent.

Latest posts