What is y'alls favorite breed of chicken

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills":a3f8hqma said:
Thanks everyone. Last week, I reserved some chickens for later in March. Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, and Rhode Island Reds. Had also tried to get a few White Leghorns but they weren't available on that day, and I don't want different groups, so now am trying to decide on which of the other breeds to get a few more of.
Skyhightree, do Australorps set?

Mine do not at all. Those jokers drop a egg anywhere sometimes and run off mostly lay in the box though.

Australorps are considered to be more of a non setting breed than to be setters. The rocks usually are decent for setters, RIReds and NHamps are about avg. Orpingtons are usually good for setting. Yes the games are good setters, good mothers. I've had several of the sex-links go to setting too; some of it just depends on the coops and if they are a little darker inside the nest boxes it seems to encourage them to set. If you are into any bantams, the silkies are definitely good for setting. I have had leghorns set so there is no hard and fast rule, but some seem to be more inclined to do so. The featherlegged breeds, like cochins and the brahmas and even the langshans do decent at setting.

Latest posts