What is this Weed?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
This weed is taking over one of my pastures and even my lawn. I think it migrated from the neighbors fields who has tons of it growing as a dirt retention until he plants soybeans. He just sprayed his fields the other day with a foilage killer getting ready to plant, so he no longer has it growing everywhere. :bang:

Someone said it is "Bitter Weed" but I think bitter weed looks more like a yellow dafodil.

In any event, I need to find out what it is and how to immediately destroy it. I need a killer that is safe around my cattle (I can isolate them for a day if need be). I also need the weed killer to only kill weeds and not my grass.

As usual, thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Sure looks like buttercup to me. But aorund here it's all dieing off for the year.

dun":oxsdlijr said:
Sure looks like buttercup to me. But aorund here it's all dieing off for the year.

That's what I thought it was too.

I forgot to mention though, that when I picked a handful of it and went to hand feed it to several of my cows to see if they just weren't paying attention to it, every single one turned their noses at it. Wouldn't touch it. I had to go into that pasture and cut it down yesterday as it was knee high.

Do cattle eat wild buttercup? I know mine don't. (if that's what it is) But if I sprayed it with say 2-4-D, would I then be able to seed over it? And can I run the cattle after using 2-4-D?

robertwhite":1wp576hx said:
dun":1wp576hx said:

That's what I thought it was too.

I forgot to mention though, that when I picked a handful of it and went to hand feed it to several of my cows to see if they just weren't paying attention to it, every single one turned their noses at it. Wouldn't touch it. I had to go into that pasture and cut it down yesterday as it was knee high.

Do cattle eat wild buttercup? I know mine don't. (if that's what it is) But if I sprayed it with say 2-4-D, would I then be able to seed over it? And can I run the cattle after using 2-4-D?
I've never seen a cow eat it. Spray the 2,4-d even though it's really a little too late. Once they start to flower herbicides aren;t very affective and they can still set seed. But th ones that haven;t started to flower will get killed hopefullky before they can start.

I asked the wife about this one, as she is all about anything that blooms. She said it was a type of Coreopsis. It is very invasive and alot of gardeners plant it in containers because of this.

If you could starve a cow into eating buttercup it is poisionus to them. 24D will kill very well but needs to be sprayed early. A long time before it blooms works best.

chippie":15p9r7yb said:
I would shred it so that it does not go to seed.

I mowed it down the other day. I will hit it again after all this rain stops and then spray it with 2-4-D.

Was told by county agent to spray with 2 4-D in the spring after it had sprouted....BUT before it blooms to kill it effectively..

Douglas":6kitoah6 said:
I have got a lot of this stuff as well. What you guys recommend to spray next fall? Would spraying in Nov. with a risidual be best
There wouldn;t be anything that would have enough residual to do any good in the spring. Best to spray in the spring when it first starts to sprout

Animal Track Farm":1osn6yf2 said:
It looks like Buttercup to me also. It is growing good in my part of Georgia. I have some I need to get rid of too.
It isn;t just the flowers that looks like buttercup, the folaige in combination with the flowers is why I think that's what it is

dun":15svryfo said:
Animal Track Farm":15svryfo said:
It looks like Buttercup to me also. It is growing good in my part of Georgia. I have some I need to get rid of too.
It isn;t just the flowers that looks like buttercup, the folaige in combination with the flowers is why I think that's what it is

Which is exactly why I asked. I thought the flowers to be buttercup, but I didn't know what type of foilage a buttercup has.

For sure that is buttercups! I hate the darn things, nothing eats them, not even a goat!

My husband is very allergic to those things. He found out the hard way. Went to the airplane club flying field to help out, mowed the whole field (covered in flowering buttercups), could barely see well enough to drive to home, looked like he had been in a bar-room brawl. I honestly didn't recognize him! Took 3 days and lots of Benedryl for the swelling to go down. Poor guy.

Katherine

Latest posts