What is this tree/bush?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Anybody know what this is? A lady I work with moved into a different house, and this is in her lawn. I've tried to look it up, and of course, there are a million similar looking plants.

The leaves and everything looks like Buckeye, very toxic to cattle.

Here is an Ohio Buckeye

ohio-buckeye-aesculus-glabra-with-fruit-growing-on-its-tree-branches-E8T2JN.jpg

Hmm. It seems like another mixed bag. I was hoping it would be obvious to someone, but it must be a real mystery plant. We showed it to an avid outdoorsman and two ag teachers, and they were puzzled too.

Definitely a PawPaw. I posted this picture the other day of the last tree on the farm. As Alison noted mine is struggling compared to the tree in the OP which is lush with leaves but it is a pawpaw.

This picture is a tree on the farm. Taken last week. You can see the hanging fruit.

Take one of the fruits and cut into it and it will tell you real quick. Pawpaw will be white/yellow inside with large black seeds.

Buckeyes have palmately compound leaves. Pawpaw has simple leaves. The tree in herofan's pic has palmately compound leaves.

ga.prime said:
Buckeyes have palmately compound leaves. Pawpaw has simple leaves. The tree in herofan's pic has palmately compound leaves.

Thanks for making that observation. You are correct.

Chestnuts have more spines from the time they start to grow. Neighbor has a chestnut orchard, with a hybrid, that they harvest the chestnuts from each fall. I don't think it is a chestnut.

There may be different varieties of paw paw, but it doesn't strike me as paw paws I have seen. I once had a paw paw tree in my lawn, and we have them in the woods here, and it just doesn't look like them.

Latest posts