What is this plant?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Ok, so I took a cutting ages ago from an indoor pot plant my friend had. She didn't know what it was, and no one I have shown it to knows either.

It grows over and hangs down the edges of the pot. The leaves are about five cm long, shaped a bit like a tear drop. They are green and silver on top, and some are purple underneath.

Here are some pictures:

PC310187.JPG

PC310185.JPG

PC310186.JPG

Anyone know what this is?

Looks like a "Wandering Jew" (Tradescantia zebrina)

It IS wandering jew. do not under any circumstances allow it to escape. you will be sorry. it will root anywhere. keep it in your house and away from carpet. lol. throw away any stray pieces in a trashbag.

:lol: :lol: Thanks for the ID and the tip. No wonder I was able to grow it. I can't grow plants. This is the first one I have ever kept alive. I will keep it under lock and key, away from the carpet. Oh and I will keep an eye out for those palestinines!

Ya, that plant will grow if you just take a snip of it and stick it in water or soil...pretty hardy.

Yes thats Wandering Jew. Called the same here. Its a pest. Will grow anywhere even in our frosty area. I have one area of it near our front gate,200 metres from my garden. Have managed to keep it out of it so far. Roundup gives it a bit of a knock back. I think my piece came form some Agapanthus that I got from my mother about 6 years ago.
Colin :D

Keren":1g791jxx said:
Ok, so I took a cutting ages ago from an indoor pot plant my friend had. She didn't know what it was, and no one I have shown it to knows either.

It grows over and hangs down the edges of the pot. The leaves are about five cm long, shaped a bit like a tear drop. They are green and silver on top, and some are purple underneath.

Anyone know what this is?

A Wandering Jew.

Keren":1sx8qdy7 said:
:lol: :lol: Thanks for the ID and the tip. No wonder I was able to grow it. I can't grow plants. This is the first one I have ever kept alive. I will keep it under lock and key, away from the carpet. Oh and I will keep an eye out for those palestinines!

Since you seem to like houseplants, but have trouble growing them - might I suggest you check out Philodendrens? They are a very graceful, attractive, trailing/vining plant (depending on whether you want/have hanging baskets or want to place supports in the pot) that is very forgiving of light, temps, and watering habits. They come in the usual green variety or the variegated variety - I like the variegated variety, but that is just me. Keep their temps above freezing, and remember to water them once in a while (I like to water my houseplants on Sunday - it just works for me) and they will do great! Peace Lillies also do great with bright, indirect light, but they tend to be a little more demanding of water - once a week works great for me.

Be careful around dogs and pets and such since MOST philodendron varieties are poisionous. And don't just ask for a 'philodendron' at a nursery because there are climing vining varieties as well as the large split-leaf that grows outside in the yard like a small tree!

Horticattleman":3skffrvh said:
Be careful around dogs and pets and such since MOST philodendron varieties are poisionous. And don't just ask for a 'philodendron' at a nursery because there are climing vining varieties as well as the large split-leaf that grows outside in the yard like a small tree!

Lots of other plants out there that kill animals. Not a big deal.

I figure the animal is usually smart enough to not eat them - or there would be darned few animals left in the world by now.

Bez>

Horticattleman":3b76lpzj said:

So are Peace Lillies, and Trumpet Vines, and a whole bunch of other plants. I've had cats, dogs, Philodendrens, and Peace Lillies in the same house since forever and never had a problem. Although most animals are smart enough to not eat poisonous plants, a little common sense doesn't hurt either.