what is the name of this type of seeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Mallen23

Reaction score
I saw a seeder at a dealer the other day. It was a three point type seeder that looked to consist of a seed box about 6-8 feet wide and had a roller underneath with spikes on it. I assume the roller spikes the ground and allows the seed to drop in the holes. When I went back a couple of days to look at it, it had already been sold. Has anyone used one of these type of seeders or know of a website for this type of seeder. I am in search of a low cost seeder for "no-till" type seeding. Thanks in advance for your replys.

Mallen23":2vwkwcb0 said:
I saw a seeder at a dealer the other day. It was a three point type seeder that looked to consist of a seed box about 6-8 feet wide and had a roller underneath with spikes on it. I assume the roller spikes the ground and allows the seed to drop in the holes. When I went back a couple of days to look at it, it had already been sold. Has anyone used one of these type of seeders or know of a website for this type of seeder. I am in search of a low cost seeder for "no-till" type seeding. Thanks in advance for your replys.

We use them to seed grass on prepared ground. I have also seen a fellow put in about 50 acres of wheat with one - an excellent crop I might add.

Should have bought it if the price was right - lots of folks will pay you to use this to put grass in. MIne is a pull type.

Bez?

Mallen, I think that what you are talking about is called a "Pasture Dream". Have never seen a new one though. Was going to buy one at auction but went too high.

It was likely a Brillion or a copy. Very good grass seeder for well prepared and flat seedbeds.

I looked hard at buying one but didn't for the following reasons

- we almost always plant a cover crop on new seedings

- our seedbeds can be uneven in places and a drill with press wheels works better then

- some indications that drills are better in heavy soils and we are on heavy clay

Nothing beats those seeders though for emergence under the right conditions, and the seed rate is the most accurate there is, or so they say.

Very popular with landscapers/sod growers.

Mallen23":2r3mb6kr said:

It looks like if you want one you'll have to find a used one.
No mention of it in their current product line but
In 1937, W.A. Taylor, Sr., produced his first conventional
timber skidder. Later developed into a mobile skidder
and loader, this pioneer machine became known as the
"Logger's Dream." The success of the "Logger's Dream"
initiated the pattern of growth and expansion which
became characteristic of the company, and a second
"dream" product was introduced...the "Pasture Dream,"
which permitted simultaneous application of seed and
fertilizer without seedbed preparation.

dj":28648saz said:
the "Pasture Dream,"

My old VanBrunt does that and they can be picked up for 50 bucks or less

dun

Nice thing about the Brillion is it can do everything in one pass - seed, fert and pack.

But I have never had much success in using it on ground that is pastured. Essentially the graa bed prevents a real penetration of the packer wheels. But it still lays down seed and fert.

For best results a well prepared seed bed is the way to go - but for those who broadcast a top cover of seed once a year, this system will do a better job. Unfortunately the seed simply remains on the surface and waits for a rain to get it to germinate.

Anyone with a Brillion in this area had better hide it in theback of the shop - someone always wants to borrow it. A really good system.

Our NH dealer had something similar - new - on the lot. The sticker was about 4 grand for a 12 footer.

Bez?

dun":2vvb9ztz said:
dj":2vvb9ztz said:
the "Pasture Dream,"

My old VanBrunt does that and they can be picked up for 50 bucks or less

dun

well there you go another possibility
Mallen23 if your really want to know what the dealer had call'em

Latest posts