What is the going price right now for 6 month old heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
I just sold my 4-H steer at auction on Monday. I miss him terribly, but it was a real learning experience and I want to be in Steer Project again next year.
Anyways, no one at my county fair shows breeding cattle (even though their is a catagory for it). It's just not popular. My steer, T-Bone, who I just sold, has a half sister who is six months old. As much as I miss T, I think buying hs sister would be about as close as I could get to keeping a little piece of him forever. I would show her as a breeding heifer at next year's county fair. Anyways.....So the rancher doesn't try to WAY overcharge me (I payed $850 for a steer with so-so conformation and had a 50/50 chance of being a bull 'cuz someone screwed up while castrating him), what is the going price right now for 6 or 7 month old heifers (they are being weaned about that age, right?)? She isn't a purebred. She is red with a white face. 1/2 hereford, 1/4 angus and 1/4 shorthorn (she has the same mama as T-Bone).SO....WHAT'S A FAIR PRICE FOR A 6 month old, 4-H BREEDING PROJECT HEIFER?

Would have to agree with TB and BB, would not tell the rancher i was planning on showing her, you just going to get her to raise calves. ;-) ;-)

Also, I'm looking as some Livestock show rules and many of them say in order to show a heifer she must be 3/4 purebred.... Are all shows like this, or only Arizona Nationals and AZ state fair? My county fair doesn't have any requirements like that. So would it be a bad idea to buy a crossbred heifer I intend to show her someday?

personally i think youd be better off buying a reg heifer to show.an that would make showing cattle easier for you.

ive got friends that sell reg show heifers for $1000 to $3000ea depending on the quality of calf.

Hmmm....I would be will to pay as much as $800 for a GOOD quaility REGISTERED heifer...as long as the breeder isn't trying to rip me off. Lol. Had that happen with my steer...And the person was supposedly a client and friend of the family!
So....If I look into registered stock....Does anyone know of any angus (red or black--either's gorgeous) or Murray Gray breeders in Arizona? Or maybe even some ChiAngus breeders?

yes for reg weaned calves right off the cow.heck i sale reg heifer calves off the cow for $800 to $1000.

here you can get good money for top quality reg stock.a reg bred heifer here would cost you $1700 to $2500.open reg heifers $1000 to $1500.ive got an 8 month old reg bull that im asking $1000 for when i pull him out of the pasture.

I'm trying to keep all the heifers, and consequently it seems, folks want to buy them. If I was trying to sell them, there probably wouldn't be half the interest.

TNMasterBeefProducer":185hh8mo said:
bigbull338":185hh8mo said:
yes for reg weaned calves right off the cow.heck i sale reg heifer calves off the cow for $800 to $1000.
You cant give weaning age heifers away here hardly.

Give them away to me, I can put them to good use :D . JHH

Latest posts