What is the best chainsaw?

Help Support CattleToday:

Go shopping... we have a poulan and its worked for lots of a years...seem to have to change some parts on the pull start. bought a stihl and the reason was the balance and weight. donna

This has been sort of touched on, but you need something that can be repaired/services locally. No matter how good of a saw it is, eventually it will need some work. I maintaine all of my saws, but every once in a while they will still need something that I can't or don't feel comfortable working on. A couple of years ago the oiler pump went out in my 044, the local guy had it in stock and fixed the saw in a few minutes.
Just as in automobiles/trucks, the salesman sells the first one, service sells they rest.

dun

dun":106h81kq said:
This has been sort of touched on, but you need something that can be repaired/services locally. No matter how good of a saw it is, eventually it will need some work. I maintaine all of my saws, but every once in a while they will still need something that I can't or don't feel comfortable working on. A couple of years ago the oiler pump went out in my 044, the local guy had it in stock and fixed the saw in a few minutes.
Just as in automobiles/trucks, the salesman sells the first one, service sells they rest.
"service sells the rest" That be a fact!
dun

My little "husky" has wreaked havoc on hurricane debris. Local hardware stores selling thousands of cheapos like Poulan and Homelite. Half of which are already doomed. My Husky seems to "tach out" better than some of my buddies Stihls, but regardless, Stihl seems to be the choice of professionals.

STIHL! We use the heck out of those saws and they are great! If you get in the market for one, head towards BA or Tulsa--steer clear of Wagoner. The pole-saw is particularly handy!

Neighbor uses a Husqvarna and swears by it and cuts wood year round. But I don't know about local service.

fellersbarnoneranch":2423myb9 said:
STIHL! We use the heck out of those saws and they are great! If you get in the market for one, head towards BA or Tulsa--steer clear of Wagoner. The pole-saw is particularly handy!

Neighbor uses a Husqvarna and swears by it and cuts wood year round. But I don't know about local service.

We are nearly neighbors. Welcome to the boards! Oh, I just realized you've been here a lot longer than I have. I was just looking at the 13 posts. :lol:

The main thing to me is get a reputable brand with parts and service easily had, and get something small and light if you're not going to be making your living with it.

Craig-TX

We were in the market for a new saw a small one. We have had great luck with our large Sthil. We noticed the loggers had large Sthil saws but the smaller ones were Poulan. Ased them why and they said that Poulan made a better small saw. We bought one and have had great service for several years now.
We have two large Hickory trees that are dead inside the pens gonna have to take down fences and gates to fall them... never endeing story.

Been through a few different brands,,,, our first Homelite Super EZ was a great saw,,,, it got ezaly stolen one day.

We have flung a few cheaper model Poulens and Homelite's into certain areas, some of which could not be retreived after the iinitial anger subsided.

We have very good luck with Husky's and Stihl's. for us, availablity of a good service center is paramount...

I am stihl running an old 032 thats at least 30 years old!

I have been running Stihl since 1980. My first Stihl was 041 Super. I have had a 056 Super and wore it out.

I sell firewood every year and I have been using a 044 since 1996 and have run about 200 cords through it plus have it used around the farm on a number of jobs including building fence. I just replaced the bar on it last year. I picked up an 025 last year for small jobs.

Buy a Stihl and you will never be sorry.

Stihl is/has for a few years now been trying to compete with the lowe's/home depot market on some cheaper saws. The 026 and a few other models haven't changed much, still good heavy saws.

My Uncle was a logger all his life and both his boys are currently doing it. They've used about every make saw out there and they swear by the Jonsereds and Husky's.

I've never used enough different model saws to make a real good judgement but on the advice of my uncle I've never had a complaint with a Husky or Jonsered.

Latest posts