What is the best chainsaw?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have 2 Jonsereds, 052's. The old one is 25 years old or so, the new one I bought 2 years ago. Only averaging 6 to 10 cords a year now though.

Excellent saws, but I have some Stihl power items as well that I am very happy with.

I would go with who has the best service dept near you.We are lucky to have both dealerships close.

I had a homelite for years I even ran over it with my truck one time and it still worked great.I tried a poulan and wouldn't never buy another one it was terrible.I now have a small Mccullough and it has never failed to start I am very satisfied with it.

huskys are great. the earleir models seemed bad to vapor lock but now days there not. stihl's are good too. they dont have the little problems that husky has but they have problems all the same. johnsred.. there a good saw to but there isnt no one around my part of the country keeping parts .
I like husky on its zippyness compared to most saws. it's like a pioneer use to be. not many a saw brand i havent tried.

25 years ago as a teen, Dad had a Homelite, we never had much problems that I can remember. But my friend who I use to cut wood with and sale got a new Stihl and I was envious. It was smooth, had less vibration and was just so much more pleasurable to use.

Fast forward 20 years later and when I went to buy one Stihl was only thing I even looked at. Not sure maybe the new Homelites are smoother with less vibrations but I did not take any chances.

STIHL. And as has been said before, the pole saw is AWESOME for road maintenance, fence maintenance, and deer-stand trimming!

We have had different saws over the years , we had a homelite which gave us good service , got a stihl about 15 years ago we really like it , last year we needed to replace our small trim saw , and we got another stihl so far we really like it.

One advantage of Stihl over any of the others is that any place that sells them has to also be trained to service them.

dun

I am in the chainsaw manufacturing business. Electric ones that is. We buy parts from the same folks that build gas saws. Since MTD bought McCullagh and Electrolux bought Poulan they have manufactured them in China and the quality has really suffered. Same for Homelite and others. Stihl saws are peobably the best that we have bench-marked for dependability and toughness. The old McCullachs and Husquovarnas were just about as good. The best saws were made in the 60's under the Mall brand. Indestructable!

We always used Homelite when we were cutting alot of wood and doing some logging. The last couple of years, I have been clearing alot of brush, with cedars up to 16 inches, oaks and hickorys up to 12 inches and thorn trees up to 14 inches. and I bought the wild thing at wal-mart. For under 100 dollars 2 years ago, I got a saw that was light and was great to clear this brush, it has a 1 year warranty and after it wore out after 10 months I took it back and they gave me a new one. After 11 months, that one wore out and I took it back and they gave me a new one. Those saws cleared at least 50 acres of cedars, oaks, and thorns, so they have been well worth it and I have a nearly new one right now, for the original 100 dollars.

stocky":1bi147m7 said:
We always used Homelite when we were cutting alot of wood and doing some logging. The last couple of years, I have been clearing alot of brush, with cedars up to 16 inches, oaks and hickorys up to 12 inches and thorn trees up to 14 inches. and I bought the wild thing at wal-mart. For under 100 dollars 2 years ago, I got a saw that was light and was great to clear this brush, it has a 1 year warranty and after it wore out after 10 months I took it back and they gave me a new one. After 11 months, that one wore out and I took it back and they gave me a new one. Those saws cleared at least 50 acres of cedars, oaks, and thorns, so they have been well worth it and I have a nearly new one right now, for the original 100 dollars.

That may fit with you stocky, but when I got to cut wood, arrange the help, get the machinery in the bush, I don't want a one year to wear out saw in my hands. Stihl, Jonsered, my boys will be using my saws when I am gone, just like I have my Dad's now. I take 2 saws to the bush I know I am there all day.

Different situations though, most of the trees we cut I measure in feet at the base, smallest saw has 18 in bar.

I am still using a late 70's McCullogh "Pro Mac 10-10". It's heavy and loud but always cranks and really cuts big logs good.

I limb up trees with a 100 dollar Poulan.

I have an old homelite and a newer Husqvarna. I never had much trouble with the Homelite, but I really like the Husqvarna. How many oldtimers remember the 2-man Disston? That's all we used until the early sixties.

Ron

I have used every brand mentioned here at one time or another. In 20 years of falling timber full time I am sure that I have worn out or destroyed as many saws as anyone else. For easy of use, balance, dependability, lack of vibration, and power I believe that the best all around saw on the market is Stihl. Now having said that I have never owned a saw with a bar shorter than 28 inches. There may be something in the smaller saws that is better built but I don't know what it is.
Try humping an 090 Stilh with a 60 inch bar up and down the hills all day. I guarantee that will make a man out of you.
I don't care what brand you use they all beat a cross cut. And the best saw is only as good as the chain you are running. A good saw with a fine tuned chain is something to behold. The same saw with a dull chain is next to worthless.
I just had an interesting memory. I remembered watching two faller get into a fist fight in a bar in Ketchikan, AK over which saw was better, Stihl or Mac. They really liked their saws. I don't think the fight changed either one of their minds.
Dave

We used a Husky 55 on our farm for years with no trouble. Easy to start and light for power; overall very well built. Probably the best small saw we have had. Had to be replaced after an unfortunate incident with an 11 ton dozer. And I thought they were tough? :D We needed a larger saw for clearing land. Went with a Stihl 440 because we could get it worked on locally. Seems to be built as well and starts as easy as the 55 husky. Very good saw. We then bought a 280 Stihl to replace the demolished 55. IMO not as good a saw as the old 55. Harder to start and don't run as smooth, even with several trips to the dealership for tuning. Used a 260 pro at my old job and it was as good as the larger 440. I will probably buy one of these for a small saw after the 280 wares out. If you need a large saw, go with a Stihl. Any of there professional series are the best that I have used. If you need a smaller saw, go with what you can have worked on locally.

We have run Stihl chain saws & trimmers for the last 25 years or so with good luck. I don't think the newer stuff is quite as rugged as the older models, but the newer models are lighter in weight and run good.

Latest posts