what is the best bull for increasing weaning weights?

Help Support CattleToday:

I would go with a black limousin bull on the cows you have described .You will get the extra sheath and skin cleaned up and you will be amazed with the way they grow. It seems that limi bulls clean up the skin better than most breeds on the first cross. As far as weaning weights,Angus will not come close to matching the limi on the cows you described. Angus just does not perform like the limi when it comes to pounds across the scale at weaning time.It is not uncommon to have weaning weights of 600 - 650lbs at 6-7 months old with adequate grass. I would not worry about disposition on a bull that comes from a reputable breeder and a modern bloodline.As a whole the disposition problem has been worked on tremendously over the last 15 years. We sale 30 limi bulls per year , and disposition is hardly ever an issue, they handle fine. As always , this is my experience and opinion, and I aint lookin a argument .

I think you should try a foundation beefmaster bull.For the simple fact that they have small birth weights they grow off better than your chars and limis and you'll probably have better replacement heifers than the ones your currently retaining.I would advise you to google the lasater ranch and bring up the 2006 sales catalog and look at the bulls in it and compare their birth and weaning weight to the other breeds your looking at and see how they match up.Beefmasters are the only breed that you dont have to sacrifice one trait for another and the reason for it being that way are the six essentials no other breed has this set of traits except the beefmasters.I feel if you didnt at least look into the beefmasters you would be missing out on really turning your herd around.If for some reason you would be interested in a bull like the ones im refering you should google the 2006 beef on forage beefmaster sale and take a look , the sale is every 3rd saturday in october and you should be able to find a bull there reasonbly priced for the quality that will likely be a herd changer also while your on the website take a look at the catalog how detailed it is this is so the breeder knows exactly what he's puting into his herd no other breed host a sale with more information I advise you to at least look into it, it would be for your own good.

manaftergodsheart413":3gtr2uya said:
I think you should try a foundation beefmaster bull.For the simple fact that they have small birth weights they grow off better than your chars and limis and you'll probably have better replacement heifers than the ones your currently retaining.I would advise you to google the lasater ranch and bring up the 2006 sales catalog and look at the bulls in it and compare their birth and weaning weight to the other breeds your looking at and see how they match up.Beefmasters are the only breed that you dont have to sacrifice one trait for another and the reason for it being that way are the six essentials no other breed has this set of traits except the beefmasters.I feel if you didnt at least look into the beefmasters you would be missing out on really turning your herd around.If for some reason you would be interested in a bull like the ones im refering you should google the 2006 beef on forage beefmaster sale and take a look , the sale is every 3rd saturday in october and you should be able to find a bull there reasonbly priced for the quality that will likely be a herd changer also while your on the website take a look at the catalog how detailed it is this is so the breeder knows exactly what he's puting into his herd no other breed host a sale with more information I advise you to at least look into it, it would be for your own good.
i would not suggest a beefmaster bull because he is in the north.an your right lassitor raises cattle in co.under harsh winter range conditions.but for him to use beefmaster bull on his herd.he needs tobe a spring calver.or else he will loose calves due to the cold.

The last two statements don't make much sense. First of all, he is already using Brahman influence. I don't thin he is concerned about cold (which personally I don't believe is much of a factor). Remember, heat impedes taurus cattle more than cold impedes Brahman influenced cattle.

I don't care if your using Beefmaster, Santas, Brangus, etc. I feel there is more difference within the breeds than there is between the breeds imo. Keep using Santas. Of course, I raise them so I am partial.

We have used Limo crosses on our Santas and really like them. A fellow breeder who lives up the way from us really likes Charolais. I would recommend both.

Good luck.

Santas and Duhram Reds":7vv6tjtd said:
The last two statements don't make much sense. First of all, he is already using Brahman influence. I don't thin he is concerned about cold (which personally I don't believe is much of a factor). Remember, heat impedes taurus cattle more than cold impedes Brahman influenced cattle.

I don't care if your using Beefmaster, Santas, Brangus, etc. I feel there is more difference within the breeds than there is between the breeds imo. Keep using Santas. Of course, I raise them so I am partial.

We have used Limo crosses on our Santas and really like them. A fellow breeder who lives up the way from us really likes Charolais. I would recommend both.

Good luck.
i reread his 1st post on this sub.an yes he is running gertXhere cows.wich tells me the cows have more here blood in them.esp since gerts was created using brimmer an hereford along with another bull.your right theres lots of beefmasters in that area.but personally i wouldnt use beefmaster bulls there.an i breed beefmasters.

I have a friend that raises some very nice reg.beefmaster stock and they are impressive BUT he gets hurt at the sale barn with them because they are carring too much ear for alot of buyers around here. His cows wean big calves and have alot of materinal instinct and milk and excellent dispositions and longitivity but I think going with the beefmaster bull would be giving me too much ear and hybrid vigor would be lacking since my 1/2 gert and 1/2 hereford cows are bred nearly the same as the beefmasters. I am going to try and buy a few heifers from him to cross with my black bull the first go round and then i'm going to see what they can do with a good big black simmental bull. the limousins just do not have the maternial qualities i'm looking for and i like the charlios but they are not black, and right now black pays.

Super Baldie":833zizv3 said:
I have a friend that raises some very nice reg.beefmaster stock and they are impressive BUT he gets hurt at the sale barn with them because they are carring too much ear for alot of buyers around here. His cows wean big calves and have alot of materinal instinct and milk and excellent dispositions and longitivity but I think going with the beefmaster bull would be giving me too much ear and hybrid vigor would be lacking since my 1/2 gert and 1/2 hereford cows are bred nearly the same as the beefmasters. I am going to try and buy a few heifers from him to cross with my black bull the first go round and then i'm going to see what they can do with a good big black simmental bull. the limousins just do not have the maternial qualities i'm looking for and i like the charlios but they are not black, and right now black pays.
your right you dont need extra ear where your at. infact a 1/4 is all most need in many areas . if i were in your area i probably would'nt have any brahman influance in my herd it aint needed. but you can turn em black and still take a hit if it looks to continental... you can't put good marbling under any black hide.

One thing you guys are not seeing is that beefmaster dont have the ear the other brahman influenced cattle have in fact they have ear a lot like english breeds and even though your friend(super baldie) takes a hit at the sale barn for his ear he makes up for with less input and high weaning weights on his calves.Beefmasters are the ideal cow they hit on all cylinders and thats the bottom line. I really think you should look into a beefmaster bull you wont be sorry and to be honest with everyone black does not pay they may get you more per pound but you wont gross as much because they wean at lighter weights than most breeds.I also noticed you mentioned you were going to use a simmental bull on those beefmaster heifers not a bad idea but your replace heifers out of that bull wont be that good because they'll get to big making them hard keeping cattle and they are probably the least desired animal in a feedlot because they just don't finish and grade like other breeds so you'll take a hit at the sale barn there.In my book you cant go wrong with beefmaster and if anybody can tell me why you shouldn't use them and how they dont make money I'm all ears super baldie go and get you a lasater or lasater bred beefmaster and see what happens

manaftergodsheart413":1wlhhnyf said:
One thing you guys are not seeing is that beefmaster dont have the ear the other brahman influenced cattle have in fact they have ear a lot like english breeds and even though your friend(super baldie) takes a hit at the sale barn for his ear he makes up for with less input and high weaning weights on his calves.Beefmasters are the ideal cow they hit on all cylinders and thats the bottom line. I really think you should look into a beefmaster bull you wont be sorry and to be honest with everyone black does not pay they may get you more per pound but you wont gross as much because they wean at lighter weights than most breeds.I also noticed you mentioned you were going to use a simmental bull on those beefmaster heifers not a bad idea but your replace heifers out of that bull wont be that good because they'll get to big making them hard keeping cattle and they are probably the least desired animal in a feedlot because they just don't finish and grade like other breeds so you'll take a hit at the sale barn there.In my book you cant go wrong with beefmaster and if anybody can tell me why you shouldn't use them and how they dont make money I'm all ears super baldie go and get you a lasater or lasater bred beefmaster and see what happens

You're somthing else. :roll: You'be bashed Angus, Simmental, Char, and Limis. Every breed has some good and some bad bulls, even Beefmasters.

I wouldn't recommend Beefmasters because of their carcass quality. The breed association pages touts their ability to produce Select.

He is not in East Texas The guy is in Illinois and he already has an eared breed in his mama cows. I don't see how coming back with a second eared breed makes sense from a production standpoint.

Super Baldie":3nmfajli said:
See, you didn't even need us to help you decide. One thing I don't understand, why are you looking for maternal qualities in what you wanted as a terminal bull?

As I stated earlier, if some exceptional heifers resulted from the cross i would like the option to keep them as replacements, but i would like my cake and eat it too. maternial qualitys and the heavy weaning weights a terminal sire brings to the table. 95% will be sold but i would like to keep the exceptional heifers to improve the heard. Some one say the heifers from the semmental might be hard keepers because of there size out of these 1/2 gert 1/2 hereford cows, and i thouhgt that was a good point. are there any other reasons this might not be the right heifers too keep. I guess i can always buy those good beefmaster heifers from my buddy but it seems like that gets expensive. always was under the impression it was cheaper to raise your own heifers but never put it to paper. any opinions?

Super Baldie":2uk87op5 said:
As I stated earlier, if some exceptional heifers resulted from the cross i would like the option to keep them as replacements, but i would like my cake and eat it too. maternial qualitys and the heavy weaning weights a terminal sire brings to the table. 95% will be sold but i would like to keep the exceptional heifers to improve the heard. Some one say the heifers from the semmental might be hard keepers because of there size out of these 1/2 gert 1/2 hereford cows, and i thouhgt that was a good point. are there any other reasons this might not be the right heifers too keep. I guess i can always buy those good beefmaster heifers from my buddy but it seems like that gets expensive. always was under the impression it was cheaper to raise your own heifers but never put it to paper. any opinions?

The majority of the U.S. could stand to have (and benefit from) some brahman influence in their herd. The environment that bos taurus cattle are originally from is cooler than the majority of the U.S. The environment from which bos indicus originated is warmer than the majority of the U.S. I think getting good beefmaster cattle into your herd would benefit you. If you plan on sending the majority of your calves to the sale barn, you can use the bull to fit what the market desires. You want your momma cows to be efficient at raising a calf, and good beefmaster cattle will do that for you every time. It's not always cheaper to raise your own. There's a lot of time and money invested by the time a heifer delivers that first calf. In addition, depending on the genetics being purchased, it may very well be cheaper to buy your replacements. Put it to paper and see what works for you. Lastly, if you want to have your cake and eat it too, work in a balance. Many people over-select for growth. As a result, they increase birthweights. Then, weaning weights never increase because they don't have resources (land, grass, or cash) to insure the adequate nutrition for their cattle to reach their genetic potential. You might even want to rotate between breeds of bull. Run a good beefmaster bull for a few years to get replacements. Then run a bull of another breed for a few years to meet what you feel the market demands. You might just find out that your beefmaster bull will produce calves that weigh more than breed (b) which will negate any "premium" received for hide color. And don't get me wrong, there are some beefmasters out there with terrible underlines...at the same time, MANY MANY beefmaster breeders have worked for MANY MANY years to clean up the underlines and ears on beefmasters. Foundation beefmaster genetics work for me. Find what works for you.

I wish you well,

EC

Good lord, if you want maternal and higher weaning weights, buy a Gelbvieh bull. They have both maternal and higher weaning traits. Go to http://www.Gelbvieh.org and look for a breeder in your area, there are several in IL. They have a good disposition and pass then on to there calves. They will put a butt on the calves you will be satisified with.

if you want better maternal and higher weaning weights yearling weights and overall a better calf at the end of the day add a Charolais bull to your line up they wont fail you and you can find a Charolais bull that will work on heifers and add some millk to your heifers but more wight then anything

Lets see, you have English ( Hereford) and a wee bit of Brahma ( 1/2 gert) so for maximum vigor I would use any type of Exotic and go with a popular breed such as Simmental, Gelbvieh, or Charolais. 8) My opinion.

Super Baldie":x0rq9npb said:

Growing a heifer out to calve as a 2-year old is not a cheap endeavor. Plus you'll have a few that aren't breeders. Then there's the money you're passing up by not selling them as weaned calves. And the calf you missed while you were growing out the heifer. $$-wise it's generally cheaper to buy bred heifers than raise them. Genetics-wise, it might be better to raise your own.

Super Baldie":1dprk3sh said:
you go with today's smaller framed, beefer simmental bull's you want have a problem with hard keepers. red angus would be another good cross.

CowpokeJ":2879gfog said:
Super Baldie":2879gfog said:
See, you didn't even need us to help you decide. One thing I don't understand, why are you looking for maternal qualities in what you wanted as a terminal bull?
you'll need maternal qualities in your bulls to maintain good replacement heifers unless you plan on having to seperate herds.Lets face it every cow calf herd has to have good cows to raise calve that will make you money at the sale barn.The cheapest way to maintain such a operation is to have bulls that will put good maternal traits back in the herd.So why not go with a bull that has it all instead of one or two things.

Latest posts