what is the best bull for increasing weaning weights?

Help Support CattleToday:

manaftergodsheart413":326r0kkt said:
CowpokeJ":326r0kkt said:
Super Baldie":326r0kkt said:
I have a friend that raises some very nice reg.beefmaster stock and they are impressive BUT he gets hurt at the sale barn with them because they are carring too much ear for alot of buyers around here. His cows wean big calves and have alot of materinal instinct and milk and excellent dispositions and longitivity but I think going with the beefmaster bull would be giving me too much ear and hybrid vigor would be lacking since my 1/2 gert and 1/2 hereford cows are bred nearly the same as the beefmasters. I am going to try and buy a few heifers from him to cross with my black bull the first go round and then i'm going to see what they can do with a good big black simmental bull. the limousins just do not have the maternial qualities i'm looking for and i like the charlios but they are not black, and right now black pays.
See, you didn't even need us to help you decide. One thing I don't understand, why are you looking for maternal qualities in what you wanted as a terminal bull?
you'll need maternal qualities in your bulls to maintain good replacement heifers unless you plan on having to seperate herds.Lets face it every cow calf herd has to have good cows to raise calve that will make you money at the sale barn.The cheapest way to maintain such a operation is to have bulls that will put good maternal traits back in the herd.So why not go with a bull that has it all instead of one or two things.

Or he could AI the top 50% of the cow herd to a moderate framed easy fleshing proven cowmaker type bull. 15 days later turn out a thick, beefy, high growth terminal bull to settle the cows that didn't stick and those cows you don't want to keep any heifers out of anyway.

Brandonm2":113eppwa said:
manaftergodsheart413":113eppwa said:
CowpokeJ":113eppwa said:
Super Baldie":113eppwa said:
I have a friend that raises some very nice reg.beefmaster stock and they are impressive BUT he gets hurt at the sale barn with them because they are carring too much ear for alot of buyers around here. His cows wean big calves and have alot of materinal instinct and milk and excellent dispositions and longitivity but I think going with the beefmaster bull would be giving me too much ear and hybrid vigor would be lacking since my 1/2 gert and 1/2 hereford cows are bred nearly the same as the beefmasters. I am going to try and buy a few heifers from him to cross with my black bull the first go round and then i'm going to see what they can do with a good big black simmental bull. the limousins just do not have the maternial qualities i'm looking for and i like the charlios but they are not black, and right now black pays.
See, you didn't even need us to help you decide. One thing I don't understand, why are you looking for maternal qualities in what you wanted as a terminal bull?
you'll need maternal qualities in your bulls to maintain good replacement heifers unless you plan on having to seperate herds.Lets face it every cow calf herd has to have good cows to raise calve that will make you money at the sale barn.The cheapest way to maintain such a operation is to have bulls that will put good maternal traits back in the herd.So why not go with a bull that has it all instead of one or two things.

Or he could AI the top 50% of the cow herd to a moderate framed easy fleshing proven cowmaker type bull. 15 days later turn out a thick, beefy, high growth terminal bull to settle the cows that didn't stick and those cows you don't want to keep any heifers out of anyway.
That would be a good idea something I would try only I would A.I everything because if you A.I 50% you'll get maybe 30% settled thats if your good

manaftergodsheart413":1viiv303 said:
Brandonm2":1viiv303 said:
manaftergodsheart413":1viiv303 said:
CowpokeJ":1viiv303 said:
Super Baldie":1viiv303 said:

That would be a good idea something I would try only I would A.I everything because if you A.I 50% you'll get maybe 30% settled thats if your good

A normal commercial herd in it's prime doesn't have a real high replacement rate. IF you got good cows in their prime let them ride. The only replacements you need are for the opens, the cripple, the cow who lost her calf, the cow who died in the river, or the cow with the 350 pound dink. When the herd gets old; but not aged THEN slap a cowmaker bull on the whole herd to produce that core group of young cows.

Latest posts