What is it worth to mow and rake?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018":1orkxvd6 said:
Well I just might have just made a mistake but told the guy I can't cut and rake for only a third. He said he normally bales for a third of the hay. I thought a 50/50 split was good or maybe a slight bit more to him. Guess it is sometimes hard to do business with friends/neighbors.

I was looking at it even at $25 hay he would be getting $12.50 baling, maybe give him some extra for using his rake and hauling my tractor the 15 miles. I can buy hay within 4 miles of the farm for $25-28.

If he is baling for a third with the price of fuel he is to dumb to be doing business with :cowboy: In my part of the world it is hard to find anyone with RELIABLE equipment to even do it for half! I would walk away from this deal and buy the hay elsewhere.

MikeC":ndkfosia said:
Never custom cut, rake, or bale hay by the bale. Always price it by the acre.

Average price per acre for hay cutting - $13.00 per acre.
Raking - $6.00 per acre.
Baling - Large Rounds - $12.00 per acre.

More if field is rough................................

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/public ... fm1698.pdf

I think you mean $12 a bale, no way to come out at that rate per acre if it make 3 bales per acre that would be $4 a bale.

tom4018":m5nvrb6w said:
MikeC":m5nvrb6w said:
Never custom cut, rake, or bale hay by the bale. Always price it by the acre.

Average price per acre for hay cutting - $13.00 per acre.
Raking - $6.00 per acre.
Baling - Large Rounds - $12.00 per bale.

More if field is rough................................

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/public ... fm1698.pdf

I think you mean $12 a bale, no way to come out at that rate per acre if it make 3 bales per acre that would be $4 a bale.

Yes, $12 per bale.

50/50 is a good split, big deal about hauling the tractor.
Your tractor, is doing most of the work so that is wear on your tractor. Sounds like he is trying to get the better end of the trade. Last time I checked Deisel was still 3.799 a gallon. Do what you feel is comfortable and fair, if you feel like you get the short end then don't.

Latest posts