What is everyone's choice breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

What is your choice breed?

• Angus and/or Angusx (include red as w/ all)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charolais and/or Charolaisx

• Brahman and/or influenced (Brangus, Simbrah,etc.)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Herefored and/or x

• Limousin and/or x

• Maine-Anjou and/or x

• Shorthorn and/or x

• Simmental and/or x

• Longhorn and/or x

• other...

• Total voters
la4angus":36jshllt said:
I guess I will have to fess up..

Angus
Brangus
AngusPlus Not actually a recognized breed yet.
Polled Hereford

Angus Plus is a recogonized breed. The American Red Angus Association is registering the cattle. They can either be black or red. They must be more than 5/8th Angus. You breed a Brangus to an Angus to get started.

Angus Plus specs have been changed.

Effective July 1, 2004, Angus Plus cattle will be defined as those cattle that are Brahman/Angus derivatives that have been derived from purebred lines (Red Angus, Angus, Brahman, Red Brangus, and/ or Brangus) between 65% and 96% registered red or black Angus and a minimum of 4% registered Brahman. Those Angus Plus cattle that have been bred-up, i.e. with commercial cattle in their pedigree or contain a purebred breed other than the previously mentioned breeds will be differentiated by having an "X" appear at the end of Angus Plus (i.e. Angus Plus X) on the registration certificate. Birth date, weaning date and weaning weight are required in order to be registered as Angus Plus or Angus Plus X.

http://www.angusplus.net/

dun

Effective July 1, 2004, Angus Plus cattle will be defined as those cattle that are Brahman/Angus derivatives that have been derived from purebred lines (Red Angus, Angus, Brahman, Red Brangus, and/ or Brangus) between 65% and 96% registered red or black Angus and a minimum of 4% registered Brahman. Those Angus Plus cattle that have been bred-up, i.e. with commercial cattle in their pedigree or contain a purebred breed other than the previously mentioned breeds will be differentiated by having an "X" appear at the end of Angus Plus (i.e. Angus Plus X) on the registration certificate. Birth date, weaning date and weaning weight are required in order to be registered as Angus Plus or Angus Plus X.

dun

dun":3pgrgr7i said:

Good change. At least they are using Registered base cattle to stablize the gentics.

dun

Very surprised to see no one mention Gelbviehs. As far as I am concerned they are a breed for the future both straight and crossed. If I had to pick favorite breeds they would be.

1. Gelbvieh
2. P. Hereford
3. Red Balancers
4. Red Angus
5. Santa Gerts

Neal Burgoyne
NY

Herefords are top on my list.
Just bought some Red angus semen. Plan to use it this spring.
Never really saw a Saler I liked too well till this past week. I have to say I was impressed.

Scotty":1ap7bout said:
Since most are spotted I have been forced to keep them. My daughter says they are a new breed of cattle. Polled longhorns. I am now on a misssion to see how many generations of ANgus it takes to get rid of that color pattern.

I have a neighbor working that one out himself! That is one of the "prettiest" heifers I have ever seen.

My top choice is Red Angus for obvious reasons!

Friend of mine had a LH cow that he used a limo bull on, the heifers from that had blk Angus bulls, then back to limo. Top\ get to the point, after 4 generations of using solid bulls that old cows decendents still have a skunk stripe.

dun

dun":2sm62sl9 said:
Friend of mine had a LH cow that he used a limo bull on, the heifers from that had blk Angus bulls, then back to limo. Top\ get to the point, after 4 generations of using solid bulls that old cows decendents still have a skunk stripe.

dun

I had a neighbor that way, too. He had a longhorn cow that was a family pet. They had kept all her heifers. But he'd been using Angus bulls for generations and would still get an occasional spotted or striped calf. He sold those separately from his black calves; said the buyers would discount the whole group if he put a spotted one in. But I'll bet he's still got that old longhorn cow!!

1. Polled Hereford
2. Polled Miniature Hereford
3. Horned Hereford
4. Horned Miniature Hereford
5. Black Baldie
6. Braford
7. well you get the picture........n-e-thang hereford or herford cross, and angus ain't too shabby either I reckon!
Ellie May

braunvieh and beefmaster are my favorite, would like to find out more about saler