What is everyone's choice breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

What is your choice breed?

• Angus and/or Angusx (include red as w/ all)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charolais and/or Charolaisx

• Brahman and/or influenced (Brangus, Simbrah,etc.)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Herefored and/or x

• Limousin and/or x

• Maine-Anjou and/or x

• Shorthorn and/or x

• Simmental and/or x

• Longhorn and/or x

• other...

• Total voters
I like beefmaster, brangus and angus the best. also use a little simmental or charolais blood once in a while.

My lines fall right there with LA4 except I would probably edge the brangus over the angus...too close to call and I agree 100% with Caustic...I don't have any use for those buckethead charolais.

JB

My daughter had a colt die two years ago. Baught her a longhorn calf to feed to get over not having a pet. Every year I breed it to an Angus bull and get a heifer that is spotted like a long horn or a bull that is solid color. Since most are spotted I have been forced to keep them. My daughter says they are a new breed of cattle. Polled longhorns. I am now on a misssion to see how many generations of ANgus it takes to get rid of that color pattern.

To really answer the question. Angus because I dont have to pull any calves(or have not) in ten years.

Scotty":1052njx7 said:
Polled longhorns. I am now on a misssion to see how many generations of ANgus it takes to get rid of that color pattern.

No stranger a combination then Salorn, and I think that is recognized as a composite breed now.

dun

Salorns and Gel-Tex got popular in the early to mid 90's and had their own organization, which were very small. But, due to certain reasons they became less popular.

Ryan":2gpbxk3l said:
Salorns and Gel-Tex got popular in the early to mid 90's and had their own organization, which were very small. But, due to certain reasons they became less popular.

I just see a bunch of them at the Farmfest in Springfield every year. They're usually in a row with a bunch of other strange named Saler composits.
It's kind of like waht I had alluded to in another post about every combination having been tried by somebody somewhere.

dun

Over the years I have bought feeder cattle out of stockyards across the Southeast & off the farm in lots. The most efficient type of feeder cattle that perform the best is Charlois bulls on Brangus cows. This is the ultimate cross out of any cross of cattle I have dealt with.

prosperity18108":1nkxmclv said:
Over the years I have bought feeder cattle out of stockyards across the Southeast & off the farm in lots. The most efficient type of feeder cattle that perform the best is Charlois bulls on Brangus cows. This is the ultimate cross out of any cross of cattle I have dealt with.

What say you, Prosperity, about the color issue? Color preference or discrimination in different parts of the country? Where and why?

prosperity18108":23pe7t2p said:

I agree that these cattle should be very efficient; but how do the cattle grade.
What percent of them will make choice and fit the box, compared to the percentage of select.

For all you Brahman and Brahman influenced raising folk.. I can't help but notice that we are NECK AND NECK with those yuckly ol' ANGUS!

:D

TheBullLady":xd6eg4wx said:
For all you Brahman and Brahman influenced raising folk.. I can't help but notice that we are NECK AND NECK with those yuckly ol' ANGUS!

:D

Probaly has something to do with all the South and Southwest based producers on this board where the Brahman influence is really needed, due to climate and insect resistance.

What TLCfromARK said bra/sim/herfxangus works best for me too. Good looking growthy calves that bring top dollar at the sale barn. I also think you can substitute char in the above equation and get the same good results. I mean to say sub char for sim.

that IS interesting considering all the brahman bashing going on when i first got to the board.