what is a tube wapper?

Help Support CattleToday:

brownmule

Reaction score
while jane and i was waiting for Dr apt we were driving around looking at tractor equiptment, mostly having sticker shock. LOL and playing"hay what's this do?" i seen a big peice of equpitment.. had rollers,and a ramp like tail with a huge big ring at the middle, had a hook up like a truck {hitch} and on the side had a control box.. is it a bail wrapper?what ever it was it was pricey peice of equpt. be nice all you pros remember if you dont ask you wont know LOL Rose ;-)

Sounds like you looked at the same one we have on our farm, a new Holland tubeline wrapper. We use it to make silage, we have a new john deere baler 467 silage special megawide pickup that we bale with and we. What we do is start with a dry bale and then start wrapping using the dry bale has a plug, to help keep air out. any other question just let me know

mike calf raiser":2gh3vcmn said:
Sounds like you looked at the same one we have on our farm, a new Holland tubeline wrapper. We use it to make silage, we have a new john deere baler 467 silage special megawide pickup that we bale with and we. What we do is start with a dry bale and then start wrapping using the dry bale has a plug, to help keep air out. any other question just let me know

If you make bales, is it not "baleage"? Does silage not go in "silos".

What is the advantage of tubes over individually wrapped bales?

Do you believe NH invented this technology?

Please submit your homework assignments before 4pm August 31.

Herefordcross":1663b8k3 said:
A Tube Wrapper is something I can't afford right now.

Some of the older used stuff is coming down pretty reasonable, seen a good looking one for $15,000 CDN recently.

The big boys are trading up as the new ones have cool options like round or square, different controls systems etc...

I like the idea of tubing them better, but tube or individual I hate the thought of buying all that plastic.

yeah individual is cost more for bales but not the machine be cause have to buy special bail handling equipment and u waste so much wrap
so far this year we have wrapped over 500 bales .

how many bails can you wrap in a tube? do you feed out a whole tube? or cut off what you need depending on the size of you herd. we are very small farm i feed out round bails plus square bail depending on weather.. but its intresting how the big boys do it LOL Rose

you have to keep the holes out so there is an anaerobic environment in there aand whatever is inside will cook itself. i suppose you can put as many bales in there as you have or until you run out of plastic. we arent doing this anymore (well at least not this year) but we liked to keep each cutting from different fields of whatever in different tubes so that when we tested it if there was a problem we didnt have to worry about the whole tube. the roll on each end is usually not feedable b/c it is exposed to oxygen so it doesnt ferment right or whatever but we usually use rolls from the year before of nogood rolls to start and end a tube. when you get ready to feed you just go pick one up out of the roll with a fork and the plastic breaks off there. once you start feeding a tube you need to go ahead and feed it till its gone b/c the oxygen will start getting in the new roll that is exposed. when you cut the plastic off it usually either smells like beer, wine, or something died in there. we had a problem the last year we did it with bermuda growing thru the plastic and bobcats and squirrels digging holes thru it. fixed that up with, you guess it, duck tape.

you can do as amny as u want in one tube but we doit usually when we have a couple fields taht are heavy enough to get a tube of 70-100

You can get different tube diameters and lengths. For us it's just easier to use individuals but, If I came across a tube bagger I would pick it up if it was reasonable.

And another thing is that when it's wrapped individually, and wrapped properly you can store haylage in places that we would never dream of setting hay down.

AngusLimoX":2jaa2yvk said:
mike calf raiser":2jaa2yvk said:

Does silage not go in "silos".

Ummmmm, not necessarily. The folks around here seem quite content packing it into large pits dug in hillsides. :lol: :lol:

msscamp":k9b2dtw7 said:
AngusLimoX":k9b2dtw7 said:
mike calf raiser":k9b2dtw7 said:

Ummmmm, not necessarily. The folks around here seem quite content packing it into large pits dug in hillsides. :lol: :lol:

Yes young lady, that would be "hillage" or "pitage". :lol:

Very common on the bigger operations here too.

AngusLimoX":3fw2rq0k said:
msscamp":3fw2rq0k said:
AngusLimoX":3fw2rq0k said:
mike calf raiser":3fw2rq0k said:

Ensileing is more of a process then a storage medium. Fermenting a forage in a silo or a bag, or any other storage medium is still the same thing.

dun

Yes young lady, that would be "hillage" or "pitage". :lol:

Very common on the bigger operations here too.

sure wish it would rain here so we could grow a little more grassage this yearage.

Latest posts