what is a Jersey really worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

I watched a herd of jeresy cows come through the sale barn. They were good cows .Bred 7months & up $800-$1000. Bred less $500-$800.Depends on how many #'s she milks.50-60# is real good. Unless things have changed that I 'm not aware of.

Yes, you can find them cheaper than that. I have 3 that I paid from $300 to $450. They looked like crap,Then, but looks great now. I got in the pen a checked their bag, and looked at their mouth. You just to have to be there when the deals come through.

Know a guy that has 4 heifers, for sale. Won't sell 1 wants to sell them all. 2 Big heifers, 2 smaller heifers. They are good looking heifers.

What is a Jersey really worth? Butter Fat Content is way above the infamous Holstein.
Thats the difference-- as I have 400 of them.

simangus23":2vqkifv0 said:
What is a Jersey really worth? Butter Fat Content is way above the infamous Holstein.
Thats the difference-- as I have 400 of them.

If Holsteins are so infamous, why are there 25 million of them being milked worldwide, compared to 1.2 million Jerseys?

There are good jerseys out there that will give lots of high butterfat/high protein milk which when calculated as "3.5% fat corrected" milk will correlate favorably with holstein production. She won't ever hit 130 lbs. a day which is not uncommon for a very good holstein but her "daily milk sales" will almost be as much in $$$$ . They also produce that milk on a little less feed each day. Personally I love the Jersey/Holstein crosses. The good ones have the best of both breeds and work very well down this way. I know of one all jersey dairy that has been in business for over 50 years.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was knocking Jerseys. Milked a few myself in my younger days. I was just trying to call this guy's bluff. I doubt if he could tell the difference between a Jersey and polecat. ;-)

BB one of the ugliest things you'll ever see if a Brahman/Holstein cross that is colored up like the holstein. Looks like the cows on the Chick Filet commerical with huge ears. Talking about ug-gly and that's with a long "u". :lol2: :lol2:

We just got a beautiful 3 year old Jersey, currently milking, for $300. She's a total sweetheart and in gorgeous condition. I'm in northern New England.

There's a Jersey heifer in our local paper -- springer, ready to calve -- for $1600.

You can't touch a newborn Jersey heifer with decent genetics in my area for less than $500. My aunt and uncle don't let any heifer bottle babies leave for less than $800.

FarmGirl10":2kjvpy6p said:
You can't touch a newborn Jersey heifer with decent genetics in my area for less than $500. My aunt and uncle don't let any heifer bottle babies leave for less than $800.

Wow..that's expensive for a jersey. Down here you could wait for the same calf to mature and freshen and buy her for $1,500 or less.