What Is A Hobby Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

does any one remember ol' Tapeworm and how i argued with him contantly about the need for brahman influance in the south? HUMPTY DUMPTY CATTLE he called them. and someone said that's defending them on this very thread he was right and that brahmans time has come and gone

Caustic Burno":34n5ja41 said:
Here you go argue away with the USDA

http://arsserv0.tamu.edu/research/proje ... ue&fy=2005

I figured your numbers came from a bias source.

Well, your link doesn't say exactly:

According to the USDA 30% of the cattle in the USA have Brahman influence. That is the total picture.

The link actually says

Nearly thirty percent of the cattle in the U.S.A. are estimated to have some percentage Brahman breeding.

(my highlights)

I won't argue that there's a lot of Brahman influence in the nation's cow herd. Will you argue that it's decreasing?

As for my numbers being biased, I'll bet all you have to do is look around your county and see how many cow herds have Angus influence.

"Angus influence" would just mean it looks like it has Angus in it. Dittoe with Brahman. They both could claim the whole Brangus breed. I am sure most Hereford influence calves are also 'Charolais influence', 'Angus influence', or 'Brahman influence' calves.

Here are some interesting registration numbers from 2006. I wouldn't have thought Charolais to be #2.

Angus - 347,572
Charolais - 74,569
Hereford - 69,344
Simmental - 52,258
Red Angus - 47,064
Limousin - 37,742
Gelbvieh - 36,222
Brangus - 25,097
Shorthorn - 19,700
Beefmaster - 18,202
Salers - 14,399
Maine Anjou - 12,316

The rest are under 10,000 each.

If you want to make money in cattle you've got to have what sells

At yesterdays Auction 35 head of Longhorn cross with clipped horns sold. 738 pounds at 70.50.

Next group to go through 30 Black Angus and some Charolais cross. 860 pounds at 112.50.

Next group same black and some Char cross. 36 weighing 780 at

It's not at all unusual to see Longhorns up here, seems like every sale has a load or two.

Can't figure why people raise them, got to be just for the fun of it.

mnmtranching":25ebb4gc said:
If you want to make money in cattle you've got to have what sells

At yesterdays Auction 35 head of Longhorn cross with clipped horns sold. 738 pounds at 70.50.

Next group to go through 30 Black Angus and some Charolais cross. 860 pounds at 112.50.

Next group same black and some Char cross. 36 weighing 780 at

It's not at all unusual to see Longhorns up here, seems like every sale has a load or two.

• Can't figure why people raise them, got to be just for the fun of it.
for roping stock... theres team ropers in every state and they will be rope'in stock

bulldealer":7bhubbij said:
Here are some interesting registration numbers from 2006. I wouldn't have thought Charolais to be #2.

Angus - 347,572
Charolais - 74,569
Hereford - 69,344
Simmental - 52,258
Red Angus - 47,064
Limousin - 37,742
Gelbvieh - 36,222
Brangus - 25,097
Shorthorn - 19,700
Beefmaster - 18,202
Salers - 14,399
Maine Anjou - 12,316

While walking the catwalk at the sale barn on Tuesday, I was surprised at the number of Char influence calves and cows in the pens.

On just one small block that I thought was a fair and conservative representation of the penned cattle, I guessed that at least 75% of the calves and cows had at least 50% Char influence.

Have had more than one buyer tell me that they are somewhat wary of blacks because they could be most any kind of breeding.

Pretty easy to know what you are buying with a smokey or tan calf.

bulldealer":whuwwcw0 said:

Angus - 347,572
Charolais - 74,569
Hereford - 69,344
Simmental - 52,258
Red Angus - 47,064
Limousin - 37,742
Gelbvieh - 36,222
Brangus - 25,097
Shorthorn - 19,700
Beefmaster - 18,202
Salers - 14,399
Maine Anjou - 12,316

If you go out across cattle country in MN, ND, and MT you see lots of BA herds running Char bulls. It's interesting how many Charolais Breeders there are in ND and MT. The herds of Herefords are all but gone.

MikeC":2gz73jtr said:
While walking the catwalk at the sale barn on Tuesday, I was surprised at the number of Char influence calves and cows in the pens.

On just one small block that I thought was a fair and conservative representation of the penned cattle, I guessed that at least 75% of the calves and cows had at least 50% Char influence.

Have had more than one buyer tell me that they are somewhat wary of blacks because they could be most any kind of breeding.

Watch that kind of talk, Mike. If that were to get out the white Simmental, white Beefmaster, white Limousin, and white Hereford could be what's next!

MikeC":3homp3pc said:

Of the 12 breeds listed only 4 have a true color difference(Charolais, Hereford, Red Angus, Shorthorn), and have not tried to go black. So they probably are weary. (I don't recognize the so-called back herefords :?: and black charolais :?: )

I have been involved in the AI breeding of several commercial hfr projects. The first thing that they tell you is that they are "northern bred angus hfrs". When the nappy hair, crazy ones, with the hint of white in their switch come through the chute, our joke is always..."It must be an EXT or Lucy's Boy" :lol:

MikeC":2swixm6r said:
bulldealer":2swixm6r said:

Angus - 347,572
Charolais - 74,569
Hereford - 69,344
Simmental - 52,258
Red Angus - 47,064
Limousin - 37,742
Gelbvieh - 36,222
Brangus - 25,097
Shorthorn - 19,700
Beefmaster - 18,202
Salers - 14,399
Maine Anjou - 12,316

That cattle buyer ain't worth a nickel if he can't tell what a pen of BA cattle look like :shock:

Imagine him filling a order for 500 Black Angus calves and delivering Continentals. :help:

That cattle buyer ain't worth a nickel if he can't tell what a pen of BA cattle look like

Imagine him filling a order for 500 Black Angus calves and delivering Continentals.

When buyers have an order for straight angus calves, they usually buy them on a board sale or straight off the farm.

But that ain't often.

Sitting there at the ring trying to pick out calves that are 1/2 Sim/Angus or 1/2 Balancer from the 1/2 Angus ain't such an easy trick when they come off a bunch of mixed up mongrel cows.

MikeC I put a thread on the Feed yard forum.

This interests me, I know a couple order buyers that buy lots of feeders, and we've talked about black cattle.

It will be interesting what the forum people say.

bulldealer":3318fp06 said:
MikeC":3318fp06 said:

Of the 12 breeds listed only 4 have a true color difference(Charolais, Hereford, Red Angus, Shorthorn), and have not tried to go black. So they probably are weary. (I don't recognize the so-called back herefords :?: and black charolais :?: )

It is kind of interesting that only one of the breeds that "turned black" have cracked the top 5. Maybe they ARE better positioned for the future; but ~15 years ago Limousin was the number 3 breed and looked like they were going to be the #1 sire breed for this lifetime.

Caustic Burno":153zhalt said:
vs_cattle":153zhalt said:
Okay purebred cattle are 5 to 6% of the herd which could be true I havent read up on it but with that said the three largest breed associations are Angus, Hereford, & Charolais which boils down to these top three breeds having a more influence on the commercial herd at least thats my thinking

and I also agree with you on the certain areas need certain traits Im not disagreeing with you there

I like all three breeds you stated but which one is more than 30% influenced cattle in the USA. Thats a lot of cows my friend.

I think the three breeds I stated have more then 30%

Why not I have seen a Brimmer/Longhorn cross and that is one ugly cow.

ALACOWMAN":24zibk8n said:
[

• Can't figure why people raise them, got to be just for the fun of it.
for roping stock... theres team ropers in every state and they will be rope'in stock[/quote]

WRONG!!!!!!!!!The Corriente can be traced back to the first cattle brought to the new world by the Spanish as early as 1493. These cattle were hardy breeds chosen especially to withstand the ocean crossing and adapt to their new land. They were brought to the West Indies and south Florida, as well as to Central and South America. Over the centuries the descendants of these cattle were bred for different purposes - milk, meat and draft animals. They also adapted through natural selection to the various regions in which they lived. Eventually, their descendants spread across the southern U.S. and up the coast of California.

Corriente are small, narrow, lean, agile cattle with well attached medium length, curved horns. That's why they are the favorite of ropers and 'doggers at rodeos. The North American Corriente Association was established in 1982.

Kinda says enough right there regarding roping stock!!
All of the team ropers i know don't like the longhorns as they are bigger, slower and are actually more fragile than the corrente.

But alot of ropers like LH/Corriente crosses. At least I've seen alot of them go through sales. A guy who breeds registered Corriente in this area bought several of our LH bull calves because he likes to cross them for ropers and he also says the LH's have more stamina but they get too big too quick. I'm not really in the roping business but I've been told this from more than one person who is.

Rustler9":2itrmkwe said:
But alot of ropers like LH/Corriente crosses. At least I've seen alot of them go through sales. A guy who breeds registered Corriente in this area bought several of our LH bull calves because he likes to cross them for ropers and he also says the LH's have more stamina but they get too big too quick. I'm not really in the roping business but I've been told this from more than one person who is.
These LH/Corriente crosses you speak of to me sound exactly like a Nascar Nextel Cup Monte Carlo. If you ask Jeff Gordon about his Dupont Monte Carlo he is going to say this thing is awesome nothing better has ever been made. Same type of things you hear from longhorn breeders. GM and 99% of the cattlemen in America also have something in common. Neither will be reproducing said products in any large scale production. Why you ask because both know said products are novelties that normal car owners and cattle men will not buy. But yet both will continue to be made on a very limited run because there is that very very small percentage that thinks man these things are awesome.

somn":1afod3aq said:
Rustler9":1afod3aq said:
These LH/Corriente crosses you speak of to me sound exactly like a Nascar Nextel Cup Monte Carlo. If you ask Jeff Gordon about his Dupont Monte Carlo he is going to say this thing is awesome nothing better has ever been made. Same type of things you hear from longhorn breeders. GM and 99% of the cattlemen in America also have something in common. Neither will be reproducing said products in any large scale production. Why you ask because both know said products are novelties that normal car owners and cattle men will not buy. But yet both will continue to be made on a very limited run because there is that very very small percentage that thinks man these things are awesome.

That is exactally why the corriente are favored over the LH cross! They grow too fast and are not ropeable as long!!
Talk to the stock producers!! see what they want in their package when they are hauling the from show to show!

Latest posts