What Is A Hobby Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think hobby farmers and hobby breeds are just fine.

I'm still out making a living raising cattle. Haven't had to go to town to work, YET :shock: :help:

This is the North country and I would be docked severely.
And my cattle operation would not be viable.

If my calves showed ear, Long Horn, Highlander, or dairy.
Other things like rope tail, off colors, spots, froze ears and tails.

Don't know exactly why?

Many of the feeder cattle in this area end up in NB, CO, KS, IO, and SD.

mnmtranching":1nsth369 said:
I think hobby farmers and hobby breeds are just fine.

I'm still out making a living raising cattle. Haven't had to go to town to work, YET :shock: :help:

This is the North country and I would be docked severely.
And my cattle operation would not be viable.

If my calves showed ear, Long Horn, Highlander, or dairy.
Other things like rope tail, off colors, spots, froze ears and tails.

Don't know exactly why?

Many of the feeder cattle in this area end up in NB, CO, KS, IO, and SD.

I think you are exactly right and I think it is a climate thing.

If you are running a dairy, your heifers are worth a mint but half the offspring are bulls. It is pretty much the same if you are producing good range cows for this climate. Half are bulls are not worth as much with a lot of ear. But they are healthy throughout the summer and tend to weigh more. CB has stated many times it is best to just buy heavy bred cows. I think he is right as well.

read a article while back in gulf coast cattleman by DR Paschal. where he uses I20 as a dividing line and brahman influance better suited for the rancher's below it. i alway's thought below the black belt in alabama. bout the same

Brandonm2":1btspnp3 said:
Caustic Burno":1btspnp3 said:
East Caney":1btspnp3 said:
Every breed can be a hobby breed. It's not the breed, it's the owner of the cattle.

Running cattle that don't fit the environment (and give you the best return on your investment) doesn't make it a hobby, it just doesn't make business sense. Again, it goes back to the owner. You may as well buy something you can stand to look at. It's like any other job...you might take a pay cut if you're more happy at that job. I can stand to look at Beefmasters (because I believe they'll give me the best return on my investment - time and money), so that's what I'm raising.

Caustic,

Regarding the influence of Brahman cattle in the American beef industry, you may as well save the energy it takes to press your fingers to the keyboard. Some people simply have no understanding and can't see out of the box they live in.

Aint that the truth go to any salebarn in the south and watch the cattle come through doesn't take a NASA scientist to spot the ear or dew lap. But it does take a Cattleman.

You could be right about Texas(I haven't been to the state six times), you are right about Louisiana and probably Florida, and I admit that I have not spent enough time in Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia, and South Carolina to even have an opinion; but in Alabama (particularly North Alabama) I would tag maybe 25% of the cattle at the barn as being Brahman based IF you base it on seedstock producers that advertise with the Alabama Cattlemen's Assn, Alabama has 36 Angus breeders, 21 Charolais breeders, 14 Simmental breeders, 12 Hereford breeders, 10 Senepol breeders, 7 Red Angus breeders, 6 Limousin breeders, and 5 Gelbvieh breeders versus just 3 Brahman breeders, 10 Brangus breeders, 7 Santa Gertrudis breeders and 9 Beefmaster breeders. That is 111 Bos Taurus to 29 Bos Indicus which is pretty suggestive of the 25% number I am guessing in the commercial sector. 20 years ago Beefmaster and Gert were both about as common down here as Angus were. That is not the case now. Brangus is the only Brahman composite that seems to really still have momentum now.

http://www.bamabeef.org/NewCattleBreede ... .htm#Angus

Open up a copy of the Alabama Farmer's Bulletin. You can get Brahmans, Gerts, and Branguses; but most of the ads are for Angus and Charolais

You named 25% of the seedstock producers are running Brimmers. When you drive down the road how many of those commercial cattlemen are using a Char/Angus/Hereford/Simm on a Brimmer momma crossbred cow. You can bet it's a lot.
It is easy to drive down the road and spot the man raising cattle for money and those that have welfare cattle.
Its just like the profit thread that Stepper started on the beginners board that has been avoided like the plauge, most ain't making it. That is a hard pill to swallow.
It is like the longhorn boys saying the breed is it, it aint now if you took that longhorn cow and put a Polled Hereford or Angus bull on them knocked off the horns , came back with a Brangus or Char on those crossbred mommas you would get something of value. Nothing wrong with running your breed of choice just don't try and sell these beginners on here they are going to turn a profit with novelity cattle or cattle not suited to produce maximum pounds in there operating enviroment. This is where kittens are trying to BS a tomcat.

Frankie":byliftn0 said:
And it's soooo much easier to be profitable with those oil royalties rolling in. :lol:

Jealousy shows its ugly face again. This was a profitable operation years before that and is still a profitable operation and will be when they are gone.

Caustic Burno":tseze1lg said:
Frankie":tseze1lg said:
And it's soooo much easier to be profitable with those oil royalties rolling in. :lol:

Jealousy shows its ugly face again. This was a profitable operation years before that and is still a profitable operation and will be when they are gone.

No jealousy here. I just think the people you're beating up should realize that they're dealing with someone who makes more money from his investments than from his cattle. :lol:

Frankie":22t782aq said:
Caustic Burno":22t782aq said:
Frankie":22t782aq said:

No jealousy here. I just think the people you're beating up should realize that they're dealing with someone who makes more money from his investments than from his cattle. :lol:

Never hid that I am a businessman. If cattle didn't pay for themselves they would be gone tomorrow. Cattle are a business here and its a commercial operation. I am not selling fantasies as some on here.
But it gets your goat and that is a wonderful thing.

Caustic Burno":26q8xb57 said:
Brandonm2":26q8xb57 said:
Caustic Burno":26q8xb57 said:
East Caney":26q8xb57 said:
Every breed can be a hobby breed. It's not the breed, it's the owner of the cattle.

Running cattle that don't fit the environment (and give you the best return on your investment) doesn't make it a hobby, it just doesn't make business sense. Again, it goes back to the owner. You may as well buy something you can stand to look at. It's like any other job...you might take a pay cut if you're more happy at that job. I can stand to look at Beefmasters (because I believe they'll give me the best return on my investment - time and money), so that's what I'm raising.

Caustic,

Regarding the influence of Brahman cattle in the American beef industry, you may as well save the energy it takes to press your fingers to the keyboard. Some people simply have no understanding and can't see out of the box they live in.

Aint that the truth go to any salebarn in the south and watch the cattle come through doesn't take a NASA scientist to spot the ear or dew lap. But it does take a Cattleman.

You could be right about Texas(I haven't been to the state six times), you are right about Louisiana and probably Florida, and I admit that I have not spent enough time in Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia, and South Carolina to even have an opinion; but in Alabama (particularly North Alabama) I would tag maybe 25% of the cattle at the barn as being Brahman based IF you base it on seedstock producers that advertise with the Alabama Cattlemen's Assn, Alabama has 36 Angus breeders, 21 Charolais breeders, 14 Simmental breeders, 12 Hereford breeders, 10 Senepol breeders, 7 Red Angus breeders, 6 Limousin breeders, and 5 Gelbvieh breeders versus just 3 Brahman breeders, 10 Brangus breeders, 7 Santa Gertrudis breeders and 9 Beefmaster breeders. That is 111 Bos Taurus to 29 Bos Indicus which is pretty suggestive of the 25% number I am guessing in the commercial sector. 20 years ago Beefmaster and Gert were both about as common down here as Angus were. That is not the case now. Brangus is the only Brahman composite that seems to really still have momentum now.

Open up a copy of the Alabama Farmer's Bulletin. You can get Brahmans, Gerts, and Branguses; but most of the ads are for Angus and Charolais

You named 25% of the seedstock producers are running Brimmers. When you drive down the road how many of those commercial cattlemen are using a Char/Angus/Hereford/Simm on a Brimmer momma crossbred cow. You can bet it's a lot.
It is easy to drive down the road and spot the man raising cattle for money and those that have welfare cattle.
Its just like the profit thread that Stepper started on the beginners board that has been avoided like the plauge, most ain't making it. That is a hard pill to swallow.
It is like the longhorn boys saying the breed is it, it aint now if you took that longhorn cow and put a Polled Hereford or Angus bull on them knocked off the horns , came back with a Brangus or Char on those crossbred mommas you would get something of value. Nothing wrong with running your breed of choice just don't try and sell these beginners on here they are going to turn a profit with novelity cattle or cattle not suited to produce maximum pounds in there operating enviroment. This is where kittens are trying to BS a tomcat.

If Alabama commercial cattle had pedigrees, most of them here probably have a Gert or a Beefmaster bull somewhere back on the bottom side and there is more than one Hereford farther back than that and if you could take it all the back to the 40s or 30s you would run into a number with Jersey ancestry. Around here Brahman is fading into the past. They take a significant dock at the salebarn here THOUGH the mature F1 type cows have always brought well. You can argue that the Bos indicus cattle are better adapted to this climate all you want to; but there are a lot of Bos taurus cows around here breeding back and weaning 550 pound (and more) calves year in and year out and some of them are even (gasp) Angus!!! Straight Angus bulls match and even outperform Brangus and Gert bulls on performance test after performance test.....despite the heat. IF I were raising cattle in BRAZIL yes I would probably have a Nellore cow herd or some other Bos Indicus based breed; but Alabama.....at least from Montgomery North does not get a lot of benefit from eared cattle.

I can throw more evidence out there
The 2006 Wiregrass Bull sale open to BCIA members with any breed and this is waaay down there near the Florida line.
Angus, Chars, Simmies, Simmies crosses (most of them Angus crosses), and a Lim.
http://www.albcia.org/wiregrassbullsale2006.html
The EPD Bull sale down in Letohatchee. Again open to any breeder that wanted to consign a bull or two

Angus, Charolais, Simmental, Chiangus, and Hereford
http://www.albcia.org/AL-BCIA-2007-EPD.pdf

Go to the Cullman North Alabama Bull Sale (~my part of the state)
Angus, Charolais, Simmental, and Chiangus

http://www.albcia.org/2006_NA_AU_Catalog.pdf

Frankie":2ar2hshy said:
Caustic Burno":2ar2hshy said:
Frankie":2ar2hshy said:

:lol: But he is making money on cattle nevertheless. BIG difference.

Better to take advice from someone who is making money with cattle than someone who is not.

backhoeboogie":21unqmpd said:
Frankie":21unqmpd said:
Caustic Burno":21unqmpd said:
Frankie":21unqmpd said:

How do you know?

Brandonm2":1eue0w8l said:
Caustic Burno":1eue0w8l said:
Brandonm2":1eue0w8l said:
Caustic Burno":1eue0w8l said:
East Caney":1eue0w8l said:

Caustic,

If Alabama commercial cattle had pedigrees, most of them here probably have a Gert or a Beefmaster bull somewhere back on the bottom side and there is more than one Hereford farther back than that and if you could take it all the back to the 40s or 30s you would run into a number with Jersey ancestry. Around here Brahman is fading into the past. They take a significant dock at the salebarn here THOUGH the mature F1 type cows have always brought well. You can argue that the Bos indicus cattle are better adapted to this climate all you want to; but there are a lot of Bos taurus cows around here breeding back and weaning 550 pound (and more) calves year in and year out and some of them are even (gasp) Angus!!! Straight Angus bulls match and even outperform Brangus and Gert bulls on performance test after performance test.....despite the heat. IF I were raising cattle in BRAZIL yes I would probably have a Nellore cow herd or some other Bos Indicus based breed; but Alabama.....at least from Montgomery North does not get a lot of benefit from eared cattle.

The 2006 Wiregrass Bull sale open to BCIA members with any breed and this is waaay down there near the Florida line.
The EPD Bull sale down in Letohatchee. Again open to any breeder that wanted to consign a bull or two

Another Angus breeder selling fantasies.
Anyone that runs a brimmer in a northern climate needs medical attention.
As I have stated many times if more profit could be turned raising water buffalo's that what would be in the pasture.
A purebreed is going to have the least weight gain,
A crossbreed calf is going to gain 10% more and a threeway cross 20% more. Thats dollars across the scale.
If I lived in Montana I would be running the best three way cross to maximize profit and pounds and it wouldn't be brammer. It would have Hereford or Angus in the cross you could bet.
Again three essential breeds in the American cattle industry are Angus,Hereford and Brahman or at least to cattlemen who are operating a business to turn a profit.
You can try and be a seedstock producer most are out of business in seven years or less because they can't compete the seedstock circle's and they definetly can't compete at the salebarn.
Cattle is a big money bussiness with a lot of money changing hands to run the operation. The trick is to get more of it to stay in your hands by maximizing profit. Purebreed cattle don't do it unless you are one of the elite seedstock producers and very few are.

Frankie":2s0kmktu said:
backhoeboogie":2s0kmktu said:
Caustic Burno":2s0kmktu said:

How do you know?

Frankie when you learn how to turn a profit on cattle you can buy stock on Wall Street as well. They bought the first share.

Caustic Burno":2mizwbae said:
Frankie when you learn how to turn a profit on cattle you can buy stock on Wall Street as well. They bought the first share.

I pulled about 50% of our investments out of wall street this week and put them in CDs. Today another mortgage company stopped offering mortgages and cut their staff in half. Things look kinda shaky there right now. But then MY grandpa didn't leave me an oil well.:(

Hey can you two pause until later on tonite? ive got some work to do but i really really really dont want to miss any of this..

When was I ever an Angus purebreeder???? Hill is the one who is always changing breeds...not me. I have OWNED papered Angus cows (from a dispersal); but they went right out there with the Hereford bull like the Hereford cows and I never even sent in a membership. Like Alacowman said, North of the Blackbelt the value of using the Eared cattle declines. South of the Blackbelt (a line from ~Phoenix City to Tuscegee to Montgomery to Marion to Demopolis to Livingston) I do think you need to look at those breeds more seriously. I am not sitting here in North Alabama telling you that Brahman cross cows do not pay 80 miles from the gulf in East Texas. Heck, if I go to Texas it is to go to Dallas/Fort Worth.....not to visit water moccasins. Neither am I dogging Brahman composite mama cows. We have had Gert cross and Brahman cross cows here. The neighbor has used lots of Beefmaster and Gertrudis cross cows in his operation. They are good cows. Will they really blow the doors off of a similarly sized and managed Char/Herf cow or an Ang/Herf cow in Alabama??? Not in my experience, but the opposite is also not true. What is true is that those eared calves ARE going to take a real dock versus Bos taurus calves. This is NOT Texas. We stopped finishing cattle here back in ~1992 when John Morrell shut down their Montgomery plant. ALL of our cattle go two places....Texas or the plains (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska). The people out in Kansas don't want our eared calves, that means that (unless they get cheap) the order buyers for the Texas feedlots are the only ones bidding on those eared calves. The buyer is always RIGHT and if the buyers will pay more for Char/Herf or Ang/Herf or Sim/Ang calves, I think it is in the best interest of the seller to say thank you very much sir and give them the calves that they WILL pay for.

Frankie":38xf0wca said:
Caustic Burno":38xf0wca said:

I pulled about 50% of our investments out of wall street this week and put them in CDs. Today another mortgage company stopped offering mortgages and cut their staff in half. Things look kinda shaky there right now. But then MY grandpa didn't leave me an oil well.:(

You are right Frankie I did inheirt some land in another county I was smart enough not to sell the mineral rights. Every acre here was purchased years before I inheirted anything again I was smart enough not to buy land without mineral rights. Thats that businessman thing again.

Its about time for you to jump in as Mod and lock the thread thats your typical MO when you are getting your hiney spanked.

Caustic Said:
There are three essential breeds in the USA and longhorn aint one of them. Longhorns look good in a movie about the old west when Quannah Parker was roaming Texas.
Longhorns were not cutting it in the beginning of the beef industry, that is the reason the ranchers of the day were importing Herefords to try and improve beef for there customer.
Heck they still look pretty standing in a pasture.
I don't raise beef for pretty.
I raise beef for pounds to run across the scale and if they put on the most pounds every commericail cattleman would have a pasture full of them.

Thanks, well said.I don't have a lot of acres but, with the 70+ acres I do have, is well used to raise Brangus cows, (25) and one polled hereford bull and I get some pretty good Baldys out of this. Call me a Hobby Farmer if you want, but my genetics are good and I don't worry too much about what my calves are going for. Thanks to Caustic for the Mentorship.

On a personal note, Caustic, I have your cell number and I will call you and BUG YOU FOR INFORMATION.

Dick

Don't go gettin all over me, just speaking about around here. Go to any salebarn down here and at least 85 percent of the cattle have ear or lap. Maybe different elsewhere, but would be hard to raise cattle without brimmer influence

Brandonm2":16a9dc9d said:
Caustic Burno":16a9dc9d said:
Brandonm2":16a9dc9d said:
Caustic Burno":16a9dc9d said:
East Caney":16a9dc9d said:

Caustic,

I totally agree Brandon,
Here in Florence -- YOUR CALVES WILL GET DOCKED FOR EAR.
That's why I raise those big, ugly, mean, hard keeping, no money making, white ones. ;-)
Around my area, and I would venture to guess, most of northen Alabama, you see the most influence in herds from Charolais and Angus cattle.

Latest posts