What Is A Hobby Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":ak7g5key said:
There are three essential breeds in the USA and longhorn aint one of them.

Maybe I missed it on posts of the past but what is the third one. I think I got the first 2.

Brahman! Now all the yankees are gonna raise hell! I bet you just pi$$ed off the longhorn folks again. :shock:

Walt

MikeC":dim9vs9p said:
Caustic Burno":dim9vs9p said:
MikeC":dim9vs9p said:
Angus,Hereford and Brahman.

In my best Foghorn Leghorn accent:

"Sumpthin kinda Hmmmmm bout a boy that thinks a Brahma is essential".

Name another breed that has more registered composite's

Out of necessity or convenience?

I will help you
Charbray
Beefmaster
Brangus
Braford
Simbrah

Caustic Burno":17jqa801 said:
Theres more
Hybredmaster
Gerts
Droughtmaster
Santa Cruz.

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

You used the word "Essential". We could take all those cattle away and never check up.

I remember when there was a Brahma breeder on every corner and now there are very few.

If Brahma's are so almighty "Essential" those breeders would still be around. If Brahma's were so "Essential" they wouldn't have infused them with every other breed on earth.

The beef business doesn't revolve around the southern states.

No, Brahma are not "Essential". They are only a "Convenience" in the south.

MikeC":url13d49 said:
Caustic Burno":url13d49 said:
Theres more
Hybredmaster
Gerts
Droughtmaster
Santa Cruz.

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

You used the word "Essential". We could take all those cattle away and never check up.

I remember when there was a Brahma breeder on every corner and now there are very few.

If Brahma's are so almighty "Essential" those breeders would still be around. If Brahma's were so "Essential" they wouldn't have infused them with every other breed on earth.

The beef business doesn't revolve around the southern states.

No, Brahma are not "Essential". They are only a "Convenience" in the south.

I never said the beef industry revoled around the southern states you picked a breed that has been essential to the American Beef industry like it not. If it hadn't so many cattlemen wouldn't have infused it into breeds that just were not cutting it.

Why not":1yf45vaz said:
not being smart caustic. but if you lumped all those breeds that have the bramah influence together. would they equal the number of charolais in the us?

Yes and then some heck dang near every commercial cow herd in the south has brimmer influence. You can't say that for another breed, got to give the devil his due.
I know of no one running Chars, a lot put Char bulls on brangus and braford type cattle. But any true cattlemen knows that three way cross puts the most pounds across the scales, by 20% more than straight breed and 10% more than a two way cross.

Caustic Burno":34tlivys said:
Why not":34tlivys said:
not being smart caustic. but if you lumped all those breeds that have the bramah influence together. would they equal the number of charolais in the us?

Yes and then some heck dang near every commercial cow herd in the south has brimmer influence. You can't say that for another breed, got to give the devil his due.
I know of no one running Chars, a lot put Char bulls on brangus and braford type cattle. But any true cattlemen knows that three way cross puts the most pounds across the scales, by 20% more than straight breed and 10% more than a two way cross.

I know some where in the south Char bull are used on Bramah or else we wouldent have Charbrays and If you want to add all commercial cattle into the mix who have either breed Charolais have more of a influence then Bramaha

My opinion of a hobby breed is a breed of cattle that considered rare at sometimes or rarely seen. And that are moslty used for personal pleasure, instead of beef. Something to look at and feed. For example, Highland cattle, Mini Zebus, maybe Dexters, Watusi, etc. Im going to take sides with all the Longhorn people to and say that I dont consider Longhorns a hobby breed. Longhorns are used for alot. Maybe when you see a pen full of Highlands or Dexters, or some other breed such as these in a feedlot, they wont be so hobby anymore. IMO

Caustic Burno":1at2epkk said:
Why not":1at2epkk said:

That is absolutely not true anymore . There is still a lot of herds that keep 25% ear or less in their commercial cows; but (at least in Alabama) there are probably more Angus, Charolais, Simmental, Limousin, Hereford cross cows than the old 'Florida style' bramer based herds that used to run all over the black belt. The cows now follow the chickens and most of those chicken guys like black or yellow herds.

Every breed can be a hobby breed. It's not the breed, it's the owner of the cattle.

Running cattle that don't fit the environment (and give you the best return on your investment) doesn't make it a hobby, it just doesn't make business sense. Again, it goes back to the owner. You may as well buy something you can stand to look at. It's like any other job...you might take a pay cut if you're more happy at that job. I can stand to look at Beefmasters (because I believe they'll give me the best return on my investment - time and money), so that's what I'm raising.

Caustic,

Regarding the influence of Brahman cattle in the American beef industry, you may as well save the energy it takes to press your fingers to the keyboard. Some people simply have no understanding and can't see out of the box they live in.

East Caney":1oo5xc3c said:
Every breed can be a hobby breed. It's not the breed, it's the owner of the cattle.

Running cattle that don't fit the environment (and give you the best return on your investment) doesn't make it a hobby, it just doesn't make business sense. Again, it goes back to the owner. You may as well buy something you can stand to look at. It's like any other job...you might take a pay cut if you're more happy at that job. I can stand to look at Beefmasters (because I believe they'll give me the best return on my investment - time and money), so that's what I'm raising.

Caustic,

Regarding the influence of Brahman cattle in the American beef industry, you may as well save the energy it takes to press your fingers to the keyboard. Some people simply have no understanding and can't see out of the box they live in.

Aint that the truth go to any salebarn in the south and watch the cattle come through doesn't take a NASA scientist to spot the ear or dew lap. But it does take a Cattleman.

East Caney":3rhzqpci said:

Ain;t that the truth! There are a couple of dairys in this area that are run like hobbys. Poor husbandry and poor production, but they maintaine they're darymen. In my book they're just people that milk cows.

Caustic Burno":35c3pydc said:
East Caney":35c3pydc said:

Caustic,

Aint that the truth go to any salebarn in the south and watch the cattle come through doesn't take a NASA scientist to spot the ear or dew lap. But it does take a Cattleman.

You could be right about Texas(I haven't been to the state six times), you are right about Louisiana and probably Florida, and I admit that I have not spent enough time in Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia, and South Carolina to even have an opinion; but in Alabama (particularly North Alabama) I would tag maybe 25% of the cattle at the barn as being Brahman based IF you base it on seedstock producers that advertise with the Alabama Cattlemen's Assn, Alabama has 36 Angus breeders, 21 Charolais breeders, 14 Simmental breeders, 12 Hereford breeders, 10 Senepol breeders, 7 Red Angus breeders, 6 Limousin breeders, and 5 Gelbvieh breeders versus just 3 Brahman breeders, 10 Brangus breeders, 7 Santa Gertrudis breeders and 9 Beefmaster breeders. That is 111 Bos Taurus to 29 Bos Indicus which is pretty suggestive of the 25% number I am guessing in the commercial sector. 20 years ago Beefmaster and Gert were both about as common down here as Angus were. That is not the case now. Brangus is the only Brahman composite that seems to really still have momentum now.

http://www.bamabeef.org/NewCattleBreede ... .htm#Angus

Open up a copy of the Alabama Farmer's Bulletin. You can get Brahmans, Gerts, and Branguses; but most of the ads are for Angus and Charolais

Brandonm2":2y3rjw0i said:
Caustic Burno":2y3rjw0i said:
East Caney":2y3rjw0i said:

Caustic,

You could be right about Texas(I haven't been to the state six times), you are right about Louisiana and probably Florida, and I admit that I have not spent enough time in Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia, and South Carolina to even have an opinion; but in Alabama (particularly North Alabama) I would tag maybe 25% of the cattle at the barn as being Brahman based IF you base it on seedstock producers that advertise with the Alabama Cattlemen's Assn, Alabama has 36 Angus breeders, 21 Charolais breeders, 14 Simmental breeders, 12 Hereford breeders, 10 Senepol breeders, 7 Red Angus breeders, 6 Limousin breeders, and 5 Gelbvieh breeders versus just 3 Brahman breeders, 10 Brangus breeders, 7 Santa Gertrudis breeders and 9 Beefmaster breeders. That is 111 Bos Taurus to 29 Bos Indicus which is pretty suggestive of the 25% number I am guessing in the commercial sector. 20 years ago Beefmaster and Gert were both about as common down here as Angus were. That is not the case now. Brangus is the only Brahman composite that seems to really still have momentum now.

http://www.bamabeef.org/NewCattleBreede ... .htm#Angus

Open up a copy of the Alabama Farmer's Bulletin. You can get Brahmans, Gerts, and Branguses; but most of the ads are for Angus and Charolais

Well I have lived in Alabama 3 times. TVA has made me offer after offer to come there again and I am not going. But I know the climate and I know cattlemen there.

Caustic was citing breeds with bos indicus influence. When I am at the sale barn buying cows for myself, I just plain look for long ear FIRST.

Brandom there is a bright side to this. If you are at the sale barn buying, you needn't worry about me bidding against you. We are looking for different traits.

Latest posts