What is a flail mower?

Help Support CattleToday:

wizzak

Reaction score
Hello can you please explain to me what a flail mower is. I know about rotary mowers, finish mowers, disc mowers, sickle mowers, conditioners, hay bines. Is the flail anything like any of these. There is one in the area that seems inexpensive. I would like to know if it would help me on the farm. I have 160 acre cattle farm in hilly KY. Thank you for your time.

A flail mower , as I understand it , is a mower for mowing yard type grass.

There are also some with a blower and spout to throw the grass on wagon for feeding green , these are usually called flail choppers

They are used by right away mowing contractors a lot, they will not throw stuff out, but down at the ground. Some cities use them around parks for safety reasons or anywhere there is a danger of thrown objects hitting someone.

We use the flail choppers to houl grass to the yearlings. Mostly 3rd cutting that isn't worth the fuel to try and bale.

Plant some Millet as well. Use the flail chopper to cut that too.

Do not confuse a flail mower with a drum mower.
Pictured is a drum mower. The advantages of a CCM drum mower are:
They give the farmer the technology of a disc mower at half the price. CCM has 3 models from 20 HP compact tractors and up. They will mow any crop in any condition and never clog up.
165%20DRUM%20MOWER.JPG

Wow thanks, so if I get this thing for a deal it may be useful piece of equipment even to mow brush. Thank you all for your time.

Don't know about mowing brush, they're usually used for finish work on grass.

Use this analogy:

If a traditional lawn mover is a rotary mower (bush hog)

than a old type real lawn mower (like Beaver Cleaver used) is a flail mower.

Check out this link: http://www.landpride.com/lp/products/fm_main.html

As you can see, most of their models are for light cutting of material under 1". Only their heavy duty model handle up to 2" material and it requires 80 hp. If you cutting brush, I'd say this isn't the machine for you.

Subsoil":16pjr3hh said:

Use this analogy:

As you can see, most of their models are for light cutting of material under 1". Only their heavy duty model handle up to 2" material and it requires 80 hp. If you cutting brush, I'd say this isn't the machine for you.

The term is "reel" mower not real mower. That's because the cutting blades work as a reel. Envision a fishing reel.
From experience I know that oif your older brother gives you aride on a reel mower, it will tear your pants and chafe and hurt your butt pretty bad.

dun

dun":3ox0knsj said:
Subsoil":3ox0knsj said:

Use this analogy:

The term is "reel" mower not real mower. That's because the cutting blades work as a reel. Envision a fishing reel.
From experience I know that oif your older brother gives you aride on a reel mower, it will tear your pants and chafe and hurt your butt pretty bad.

dun

I have a "real mower." Sure enogh, came equiped with an engine and everything to mow a lawn. I think this is were this goes, BOO HISS. The term I hate is that someone has a gas powered motor. If I am wrong PLEASE tell, but motors are electric and engines are combustable fueled.

Scotty

Scotty":1no1mq3m said:
The term I hate is that someone has a gas powered motor. If I am wrong PLEASE tell, but motors are electric and engines are combustable fueled.

Scotty

I was beginning to think I was the only one that was taught that. Only it was explained to me as a small lad that motors go humm and engines go vroom. And yet the outbard manufacturers refer to them as motors. Too confusing for us old folks

dun

Could be mistaken but I always thought that the flail mower is just like the rotary mower except the end of the blades pivot. All the 'Bush Hog' type mowers I've seen are flail mowers. They're designed that way so that if you are going through stuff that's fairly thick it chops at it instead of trying to cut through it in one stroke. Probably saves a fair bit on shear pins.

Cattle rack, if you'll look at the link in my earlier post, you'll see the flail looks nothing like a bushhog. If anything, it resembles a roto-tiller.

To Dun and all of the other spelling bee champs - Thanks for the tips. :D Hopefully the advise for these forums will help me keep my butt out of the blades.

I have a flail mower. It is an old New Idea model. It has a 7' cut. It is chain driven from a gear box with 540 PTO. A 7' 12 - 15" drum has 4"wide swinging hammers that flail the hay off and crushes the stems. It turns like a rototiller. You can adjust the height from very close to just clipping the tops. NI made these with a chute to throw cuttings into a forage or feed wagon. Later models had a belt drive that ran smoother and quieter. There are still a few around but most are gone to the scrap yards. They are simple to work on. Just 4 bearings and a gearbox plus the PTO shaft.

BFFhiredman

Latest posts