What Injuries Have You Sustained from Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run":otd1m9gj said:
Dairy cattle...of course...

Stepped on feet and hands (in a parlor), pinned from the knees down by cattle in return alleys, and kicked repeatedly everywhere from my shins to my collar bone.

You mean to tell me that those sweet gentle cheese making cows from CA might hurt someone?

dun

You mean to tell me that those sweet gentle cheese making cows from CA might hurt someone?

dun

Yep, it was by a couple of the ones that were whining about having to produce strawberry and chocolate milk. :p

Other than the youthfull foolishness of sliding off a running horse onto a slower running steer and twisting ankles, elbows and shoulders and knots on the head....I've been real lucky, all I have suffered is numerous blows to the ego and common sensability...hate it when you get your foot stepped on by the gentle cows that won't move off until you finish falling down, and holding on to the horns doesn't help..ankles still swell like when I was a pup. Didn't count the smashed hands and cuts..it it wasn't broken and could close the wound with duct tape you ain't hurt and it don't count.
Just my two bits worth....Dmc

25 years of luck here. Numerous bruises, contusions and kicks (a couple in the head trying to get calves sucking. Luckily theres nothing to hurt up there. The stars were pretty though). No breaks, but plenty sore after being run down or slammed up against fence lines.

As far as a bull goes, even the calm ones are dangerous. If they have a bad day or even they just want by you, you can end up hurt. My last Shorthorn bull was a 2400 lb kittycat. One day I bellared at him to move out of the way, and he took off mad. He hit the fence, right at a fencepost and broke a 6" post clean off.

Most people tend to get hurt in pens, however thats because you're working them. I've had animals take after me in the pasture too. No matter where you're working stock, you need to watch your back with half an eye and pay attention to what you're doing. An animal will give you plenty of warning if you pay attention and know what you're looking for.

Rod

my husband had a broken hand from punching a really stupid holstein in the face ( it was a 4H steer) he wouldnt break very well and almost trampoled her, we laughed about it after the fact but he was in alot of pain, I received a huge bruise on my thigh when a angus kicked the bar off of our show chute and it landed on me, that same steer kicked my daughter in the forehead the same day she had to show him, she was left with a nasty scar , thats about it so far

I guess I've been really lucky. Nothing broken (although I do wonder about a bone or two in my foot from being stepped on many many times), plenty of bruises and scrapes and being kicked a lot by loose-footed angus calves. One of the best things we ever did was getting a cheapo set of shin guards that I wear when we work cows and calves. They take a lick a lot better than my shin does.

Cuz

When I was a kid the corral system we used left a lot to be desired in the saftey department. When I built mine I designed them with safety in mind. Most cows can be worked slowly and quitely, which will prevent a lot of trainwrecks. If you have one that is prone to breaking ignort I try to leave it for last as to not get the others upset. When it comes time to get the one with the fireball up its butt through the chute I have found it is better to keep it moving until the last minute. At that point you need to have all your ducks in a row. A lot of accidents can be prevented with 3 things - proper facilities, planning, and planning. Did I mention planning? Yeah,you will still have the freak accidents and have to expect and watch for those situtations as well. Proper facilities will cut down on the risk tremendously. As far as which is worse heifers or bulls I'll throw another into the mix. 5-600 pound calves can be a ball of snot as well. They as more agile and not as settled down as the older ones, just like your average teenager. At least they don't ask to borrow the car nearly as often.

Guess I am a greenhorn. No injuries that I can remember from Cattle. But basically all our cattle have been halter broke, load and work easy. Had one crazy limi cow and she went to the sale barn.

Only thing that comes to mind is a few rope burns when breaking show calves to lead.

One way I stay un hurt is if it looks dangerous I send the wife in to do it. ;-) :lol:

Bama":2l87x54c said:
When I was a kid the corral system we used left a lot to be desired in the saftey department. When I built mine I designed them with safety in mind. Most cows can be worked slowly and quitely, which will prevent a lot of trainwrecks. If you have one that is prone to breaking ignort I try to leave it for last as to not get the others upset. When it comes time to get the one with the fireball up its butt through the chute I have found it is better to keep it moving until the last minute. At that point you need to have all your ducks in a row. A lot of accidents can be prevented with 3 things - proper facilities, planning, and planning. Did I mention planning? Yeah,you will still have the freak accidents and have to expect and watch for those situtations as well. Proper facilities will cut down on the risk tremendously. As far as which is worse heifers or bulls I'll throw another into the mix. 5-600 pound calves can be a ball of snot as well. They as more agile and not as settled down as the older ones, just like your average teenager. At least they don't ask to borrow the car nearly as often.

This is also my experience.

Havent really gotton hurt yet with cows - Now Goats ----- rofl.
However my brother was in a bad mood one morn - and decided to kick one of the cows outta the way - broke his toe in three splinters :D

Ratfish":1h8qzjrb said:
Yeah, it does sound like the heifers are more dangerous than the bulls.

Most people are going to come in contact with more heifers, cows and steers than bulls when working cattle. If you have, say, 40 cows and one bull, law of averages says you're more likely to be injured by one of the cows. All are dangerous. As others have said, they don't have to be mean or wild to cause injury, simply because they are so much bigger than us.

As for me, I've had broken ribs from a bull and a broken leg from a cow kick. Those were the most serious. Lots of bruises, scrapes, strains, etc. Saw a cow step on my aunt's thumb once. Flattened it like a pancake. OUCH!! Only time I ever saw my uncle cry except for when she died.

Fooled with Rodeo Bulls a long time ago, got a horn in the mouth once.Been kicked a few times working cattle, but since I had that serious injury, I gained a level of respect, and work real careful when we're working Cattle.

Worst that has happened to me was being double kicked in the shin by a brangus I bought. It hurt so bad there was no pain for several minutes. I mean she naturaly born zapped me. I think she did it just cause she knew she could. Bought 5 at sale. Very docile there. What I bargain I thought. Huh. Ended up having to haul two back to the sale only after they tore up the coral and there was another - I named her Lucifer - well I just shot her dead with my pistol. (Say what you want, but my friends and family are worth more to me than some stupid crazy cow!)

Busted my nose one time when a hickory stick broke when I was young and dumb. I can still see it breaking on her head and twirlinging into my nose. She went left and I survived.

As posted before ... good facilities will help you be safe. We never had them till now and we still got a ways to go.

The vet, her helper, my wife and I were working the momma cows and taking care of the babies. We had separated the Mommas from the calves and my little wife(5'0") had tagged this calf. I had banded him, the vet had shot him and everything was going smooth. We were about to let him go to his momma, opened the chute, opened the coral gate, and momma came rushing in. We all begin trying to climb out of the coral, like bull riders in a rodeo. I didn't make it. The old girl charged me, backed me against the coral, and played the drums on my chest with her head. I got her off by kicking her in the nose but that just backed her up enough to give her more running room. She charged again, this time knocking me down and began tap dancing on my chest and wrist. I wound up with 3 broken ribs, my left wrist broken in 3 places, and finally had to have surgery to repair the wrist. Now the hero of the story is my wife. I was lying on the ground, My tiny little wife ran in and literally ran between me and the cow. The cow saw a determined little lady who wasn't going to let a 1000lb cow hurt her husband any more and the cow took her baby and went out to pasture. Now the cow thought she was protecting her baby. I guess if someone was trying to ear tag one of my boys and trying to castrate him, I would have been angry too.

Holy crap... After reading these four pages of posts, I feel lucky that I am still alive.... No problems with any of my heifers and I have only had one bull argue with me a bit when I tried to load him in my trailer... I decided that he was just upset a bit and I decided to give him a break. So I just turn and walked down the chute and into the back of my trailer.. Dang if he just didn't follow me right on into the trailer.. So I walked out the front door went around to the back and closed the rear gate and off we went...
I will pay a lot more attention from now on... Thanks for the information...

Regular cattle. Lots of bumps and bruises. Had a tooth knock out when a cow kicked a gate which hit me in the mouth. Most common thing I remember seems to be getting kicked in the shins.

Rodeo cattle......... a long list of broken bones and dislocated joints.

Dave

Dave":38prnxq3 said:
Rodeo cattle......... a long list of broken bones and dislocated joints.

Dave

Rodeo cattle? As in bulls, as in you're a former bull rider?

Latest posts